No votes
1/2 *
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 25

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:Yes, he's a co-lead with Brad Pitt, but if I were forced to rank them (say, for example, how Bette Davis would rank over Anne Baxter in All About Eve), I'd rank Affleck over Pitt largely because it's more Ford's story than it is James', and because the last 20 minutes are about the resolution of his life, and his emotions and mindset about what has happened.

And maybe because Affleck is so intense an good actor that he literally ate Pitt.

Edited By Hustler on 1198365460
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I think we had largely discuss about that in recent years. The option of considering him in supporting is a strategy having in mind Affleck´s chances to win.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, he's a co-lead with Brad Pitt, but if I were forced to rank them (say, for example, how Bette Davis would rank over Anne Baxter in All About Eve), I'd rank Affleck over Pitt largely because it's more Ford's story than it is James', and because the last 20 minutes are about the resolution of his life, and his emotions and mindset about what has happened.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

No, he's a co-lead. There are several scenes in the first part of the movie where he's completely absent. Unlike Foxx, O'Neal or even Hutton, he's not in every single scene or almost. But still, of course, being co-lead means that the right placement would be Best Actor. Yet we know how the Academy works.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ITALIANO wrote:And since I'm talking about the acting - Casey Affleck is perfect for the role. Technically a co-lead, true, so he should probably be nominated as Best Actor, but, I mean, the Academy has made more shocking choices in the past (O'Neal, Hutton, Foxx, even Gyllenhaal) - so I'm not surprised.
But he's not a co-lead. He is THE lead. The other names you mention were also leads, but I think Affleck's placement is even more shocking. O'Neal was a kid. Hutton's the lead, but of an ensemble piece. Foxx was never going to be forced to compete with himself. And Gyllenhaal has the smaller lead role. Those nods were all jokes, but Affleck's placement is the most truly bizarre of them all.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

This is one of those too rare contemporary American movies which one isn't forced to feel intellectually superior to. Not perfect, I know - the first part especially has some narrative problems, a few characters aren't always well focused (including sometimes Jesse James himself, though Brad Pitt's performance is extremely good, the best he has given till now). But I don't care: it's intelligent, and nowadays for me this is enough. And not only intelligent - visually stunning (I think I will never forget some of those American landscapes), often profound (what it says about America, American violence, American myths, is always at least interesting), and very well acted (this is the kind of "ensemble" which should be mentioned by groups like the SAG).

And since I'm talking about the acting - Casey Affleck is perfect for the role. Technically a co-lead, true, so he should probably be nominated as Best Actor, but, I mean, the Academy has made more shocking choices in the past (O'Neal, Hutton, Foxx, even Gyllenhaal) - so I'm not surprised. It happens often. What's important is the performance, and the performance is amazing - the way this still relatively young actor can so subtly express contrasting emotions, admiration, envy, love, hate, jealousy, success, failure, innocence, cruelty, self-confidence and self-hate - and often at the same time - is the proof of a major talent. I don't know what will happen to this actor, which other chances American cinema will give him, but this is the kind of performance a more experienced actor could be proud of. Rarely has human mediocrity been portrayed with such strength, and with so many nuances, on the screen - in the final fifteen minutes it reaches greatness.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1198344581
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Assassination of Jesse James is probably the best movie I've seen this year, so far. Into the Wild is a close second.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sabin wrote:To which I would say "Two fucking hours." Breezed right by. Both times.
Amen
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I looked, and it's 2hrs. 40 mins., which I wouldn't call "barely" over 2:30. Anyway, that's just the alleged running time. I'm trying to convey an experience. Which can be summed up in three words.....

To which I would say "Two fucking hours." Breezed right by. Both times.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

While I disagree wholeheartedly with Pen on Royal Tenenbaums and Hilary Swank (in Million Dollar Baby)...who knows about Paul Greengrass as I am site unseen on his foray into the big screen...I do agree more than ever on the actual topic of this thread that Assassination is splendid and sadly Casey and company are most definitely going to be reserved for Shouldabeen lists of myself, Penelope, FilmFan, OBJ, etc.

It is a damn shame, on another thread right now there is a big tiff occurring over the prospects of another 'western' and its Oscar possibilities still hidden to most of us and this excellent piece of filmmaking is out there and it can't get no love
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I'm dressing up as Maggie Fitzgerald for Halloween next year. Should I just send pics directly to you or make one of them my new avatar?

Is somebody going to push around on a gurney?

LOL! Yes, of course!

Edited By flipp525 on 1194303284
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:I'm dressing up as Maggie Fitzgerald for Halloween next year. Should I just send pics directly to you or make one of them my new avatar?

Is somebody going to push you around on a gurney?

Edited By Penelope on 1194293834
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm dressing up as Maggie Fitzgerald for Halloween next year. Should I just send pics directly to you or make one of them my new avatar?

Edited By flipp525 on 1194292605
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Penelope, Hilary Swank and Paul Greengrass are one thing.

Penelope, I thought about you when I saw the treacly trailer for "P.S. I Love You" this past weekend. Have you been blessed with it yet? Get ready to hurl your guts out.
Yes, it looks pretty dreadful. Didn't Jennifer Garner star in the same movie earlier this year?

Just as an aside: can you imagine? Hilary Swank starring in a movie directed by Paul Greengrass with a script by Wes Anderson. Oh, the horror, the horror.

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:Penelope, Hilary Swank and Paul Greengrass are one thing.
Penelope, I thought about you when I saw the treacly trailer for "P.S. I Love You" this past weekend. Have you been blessed with it yet? Get ready to hurl your guts out.

Return to “2000 - 2007”