Best Cinematography of 2007

Best Cinematography of 2007

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Roger Deakins)
59%
Atonement (Seamus McGarvey)
7%
Black Book (Karl Walter Lindenlaub)
No votes
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Janusz Kaminski)
No votes
I'm Not There (Edward Lachman)
4%
No Country For Old Men (Roger Deakins)
4%
Sunshine (Alwin Küchler)
No votes
Sweeney Todd (Dariusz Wolski)
No votes
There Will Be Blood (Robert Elswit)
26%
other
No votes

Total votes: 27

abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Difficult list to pick from. Plus, no Control.
Went with Jesse James over Diving Bell and NCFOM.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I want to assure Penelope that before September, there was no piece of cinematography stronger than 'Sunshine'. Beautiful, beautiful-looking film...

...but 'Lust, Caution' belongs on that list. Rodrigo Prieto is a superstar and Focus Features drinks Oscar's milkshake every year. He's in. And lump in Eric Gautier who is also fast on his way to D.P. superstardom with 'The Motorcycle Diaries' and this year's 'Into the Wild' which made fantastic use of long lenses.

Deakins, Deakins, Elswitt, Kaminski, and McGarvey. Holy shitballs.

Even though I found the refracting lens technique overused, Deakins' work on 'The Assassination of Jesse James...' is a personal high-point with few pieces of celluloid this year matching the train robbery. Glorious. If I had to pick a runner up, it would be have to be Robert Elswitt whose formal compositions are a new high for the dude.

Edited By Sabin on 1200583296
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:I think the wonderful work in Lust, Caution should have been added to this list.
as well as the gritty and gorgeous black-and-white cinematography of CONTROL.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I voted for There Will Be Blood but Assassination comes in a very close second.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I don't know that Sweeney Todd's cinematography would make this one of the best line-ups in years. And (don't shoot me Pen) the work done on Atonement isn't so much impressive as it is competent and stately. For most of the film, I kept expecting Keira Knightly to turn to the camera and whisper, "Obsession by Calvin Klein." Or maybe that was just her lousy performance, I dunno.

I voted for Assassination. Oh apparently everyone else did too.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the wonderful work in Lust, Caution should have been added to this list.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I had to vote The Assassination of Jesse James, but any other day it could have been the unbelievable work of There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men or especially Sunshine.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

If the Academy's nominees for Best Cinematography come from any of these 9 films, it will without doubt rank as one of the best line-ups in the history of the Oscars, and a tough choice to make.

Which was your favorite?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2000 - 2007”