Grizzly Man
2%
The Constant Gardener
4%

Total votes: 56

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Grizzly Man, definitely... I expected so much...
Go and see Into the Wild to see the perfect movie with a similar subject.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

flipp525 wrote:Agreed. When Sandra went in for her hug to tell the Latina maid that she was her only friend, I wanted the maid to say something like, "Get the hell off me, bitch. I'm not your f*****g friend."
LOL :D
That would have been a better scene... damn, that would have make it a watchable film! LOL
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Mine: Bullock's character/performance in general, but particularly her last turn-out, her ultimate behavior towards the maid (latin maid by the way, in case we have any doubt about stereotypes)... I just couldn't buy it.

Agreed. When Sandra went in for her hug to tell the Latina maid that she was her only friend, I wanted the maid to say something like, "Get the hell off me, bitch. I'm not your f*****g friend."
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Damien wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:The performances are all uneven, the coincidences border on cartoonish, and the characters behave in such ridiculous ways that I still can't particularly understand what happens in some scenes. (Terrence Howard's completely out-of-character meltdown in front of the police, followed by his calm ride out of there with his carjacker, is one of the most unbelievable scenes of the year.)

Ryan Philippe's ultimate behavior is even more out-of-character and ludicrous than Howard's.

I still voted for Capote, though.

Maybe we should make a new topic called "Crash Most absurd/unbelievable moment" cause it seems a lot of us have our picks. Mine: Bullock's character/performance in general, but particularly her last turn-out, her ultimate behavior towards the maid (latin maid by the way, in case we have any doubt about stereotypes)... I just couldn't buy it.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm planning to Netflix MI-5 as soon as I finish with 2005 catch-up. I'll probably like Macfadyen better in that; in Pride and Prejudice he struck me as way too modern for a film set 200 years ago.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Agreed there, okri. I wonder if the people who praised him in Pride were people who already had affection for him based on MI:5.

I was actually less thrilled with Wright's direction. It struck me as overly frenetic -- all those scenes of people running around shouting seemed like an attempt to "liven" the material that only made things chaotic.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how Joe Wright handles Atonement. I love McFadden, but I was stunned at the praise he got (I really like him in MI-5).
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

It was actually from The Backstage (the site created after Tom O'Neil's meltdown last year). And two of the people who were so passionate about it are two fairly intelligent people. Some of the others who are passionate about it...aren't. (Or at least they aren't intelligent when it comes to film.)
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

dws1982 wrote:but I post at another message board where a few of the posters think it's the finest movie released this entire decade. (One even thought that that Matthew McFadyen block of wood was the Best Actor of the year.)
c'mon fess up. It was Goldderby wasn't it? lol. :D
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm afraid that you may think differently after I finalize my top ten list of 2005, Damien. (Although I do have Millions and Good Night And Good Luck on my list right now, at numbers 7 and 8.)

I've got to chime in to agree with Nik and Big Magilla about Pride and Prejudice. I wouldn't call it horrible, but I post at another message board where a few of the posters think it's the finest movie released this entire decade. (One even thought that that Matthew McFadyen block of wood was the Best Actor of the year.) Maybe that got my expectations too high or something, because when I saw it I was left wondering if I had watched the same movie. I don't know; it's kind of similar to my feelings about Capote--how did such an unambitious tradition-of-quality type of movie manage to inspire any genuine passion in anyone? I could understand someone watching it and thinking "That was nice", but I don't have any idea how anyone could love it, let alone think it was the best movie of the year. But Joe Wright at least isn't of the John Madden Point-And-Shoot school (of which Bennett Miller seems to be a graduate), and he actually made it seem more alive than it had any right to be, considering the leads. I think he could make a good movie someday.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:Capote.
Daniel, it never cease to amaze me how often and how closely we -- I in New York City, 50 something, gay. You in Alabama, 20 something, straight. -- agree on things cinematic (and musical, too, come to think of it).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Big Magilla wrote:None of the above. The most over-rated film of 2005 IMO was Pride & Prejudice, which received msotly rapturous reviews, but why? The 1995 BBC mini-series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, readily available on DVD, is vastly superior. The 1940 Hollywood version, which is shamefully missing on DVD, still sparkles. The recent Bollywood version, retitled Bride & Prejudice, cleverly updates the story to the present. Why then this handsomely produced, but totally unnecessary version?

Keira Knightley smirks her way through the first half of the film and provides line readings that are way too modern for the character of Elizabeth Bennett. Jena Malone's giggles seem way too knowing and Donald Sutherland overdoes Mr. Bennett's befuddlement. The rest of the cast, though, is mostly fine, especially Brenda Blethyn who plays Mrs. Bennett as less of a buffoon than she is usually played. Too bad they weren't employed in the rendering of one of Jane Austen's less familiar works.
I voted for Crash but I completely agree Magilla. What a HORRIBLE little film that adds nothing to Austen and baffles me once again as to the appeal of Keira Knightley. I hope she goes away.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Capote.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Well to me, to be overrated, it had to be rated very high and get nominated for a best picture. And since i actually liked crash and thought it was a pretty great film, i can't vote for crash. I was totally captivated by the who story of capote, at the edge of my seat for the climactic scene, so i can't vote for capote. Munich is my choice for best picture and i saw no flaws in good night and good luck. So my choice is brokeback mountain......which i just didn't hit me like the other 4....its a very well made film with unbelievabley great performances. But i think it could have been better. So my vote is for brokeback mountain.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

None of the above. The most over-rated film of 2005 IMO was Pride & Prejudice, which received msotly rapturous reviews, but why? The 1995 BBC mini-series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, readily available on DVD, is vastly superior. The 1940 Hollywood version, which is shamefully missing on DVD, still sparkles. The recent Bollywood version, retitled Bride & Prejudice, cleverly updates the story to the present. Why then this handsomely produced, but totally unnecessary version?

Keira Knightley smirks her way through the first half of the film and provides line readings that are way too modern for the character of Elizabeth Bennett. Jena Malone's giggles seem way too knowing and Donald Sutherland overdoes Mr. Bennett's befuddlement. The rest of the cast, though, is mostly fine, especially Brenda Blethyn who plays Mrs. Bennett as less of a buffoon than she is usually played. Too bad they weren't employed in the rendering of one of Jane Austen's less familiar works.

Return to “2000 - 2007”