No votes
1/2 *
No votes
3%

Total votes: 37

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ok, just finished reading the book, and just watched the trailer. If they get this right -- and, man, I hope they do -- this is gonna be great.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm halfway through the book right now, and I'm thankful that I haven't watched the trailer yet, as I presume it offers up some spoilers -- I really didn't know much about the story prior to reading the first page, and I've been on the edge of my seat (literally, reading it on the L to and from work).

Thus far, it seems to me that Kiera Knightley is, amazingly, spot-on perfect casting, and if the movie lives up to the greatness of the book, a second Oscar nod for her wouldn't surprise me at all.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

This looks great. What a fantastic book. Vanessa Redgrave as the older Briony is some inspired casting.

Atonement trailer
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Can Joe Wright direct Knightley to her 2nd Best Actress nom?
I doubt it seriously.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

maybe a supporting nod for Redgrave.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

VanHelsing wrote:Can Joe Wright direct Knightley to her 2nd Best Actress nom?
Well, if anyone can, for any project, it's surely Wright for this movie. Great book (even studied it in a 400-level English class), and could become a great movie (if sanitized and Hollywood-ized like Austen's adaptation).
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Can Joe Wright direct Knightley to her 2nd Best Actress nom?
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I had no idea this was even in the works. Seriously, folks, this could definitely be one to look out for, especially with the near-perfect casting of Keira Knightly as Cecilia, Vanessa Redgrave as the older, repentent Briony, and James McAvoy as Robbie Turner, the charlady's son. A modern literary classic by Ian McEwan that, in the right hands, could yield a very powerful film. Shoots right up to the top of my "Most Anticipated" list.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “2000 - 2007”