5%
No votes

Total votes: 19

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:
Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Well, I have company in how I reacted to the film, from Rolling Stone to Ebert to The New York Post.

Oh, the company you keep! :p

I think that's a pretty diverse group of sources.
There was also brainiac Owen Glieberman who, if memory serves, named it the number one movie of the year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Well, I have company in how I reacted to the film, from Rolling Stone to Ebert to The New York Post.

I think that's a pretty diverse group of sources.

The movie entertained me and kept me interested.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Not as bad as some have said but ultimately a movie that should not have been made. Far too flimsy, but perhaps with a defter touch of editing and a stronger helming sensibility, it could have been trashy fun. As it is, a notch above just trash. **
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:I was completely involved in the story. The acting was terrific, the direction suspenseful and the script intelligent I thought. So what if Hoffman isn't exactly who I want to dream of naked?! That's not the point of the movie. That even Marisa Tomei lost out on a nomination is kind of puzzling to me. I know there was a lot of competition, but I thought she was very good.

I didn't care that the Blob was naked. What did bother me about this terrible movie is that it is entirely bereft of logic, its splenetic world view is so glib and totally without logic and that, once again, Sidnet Lumet isn't even a "point-and-shoot" director. He's more of an "Ooops, the camera fell. Keep shooting anyway" director.
Well, I have company in how I reacted to the film, from Rolling Stone to Ebert to The New York Post. Personally, I think that it was very compelling and entertaining. Ethan Hawke gave one of his best performances I thought, and the rest of the cast was just as good.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:I was completely involved in the story. The acting was terrific, the direction suspenseful and the script intelligent I thought. So what if Hoffman isn't exactly who I want to dream of naked?! That's not the point of the movie. That even Marisa Tomei lost out on a nomination is kind of puzzling to me. I know there was a lot of competition, but I thought she was very good.

I didn't care that the Blob was naked. What did bother me about this terrible movie is that it is entirely bereft of logic, its splenetic world view is so glib and totally without logic and that, once again, Sidney Lumet isn't even a "point-and-shoot" director. He's more of an "Ooops, the camera fell. Keep shooting anyway" director.

Edited By Damien on 1202594204
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I was completely involved in the story. The acting was terrific, the direction suspenseful and the script intelligent I thought. So what if Hoffman isn't exactly who I want to dream of naked?! That's not the point of the movie. That even Marisa Tomei lost out on a nomination is kind of puzzling to me. I know there was a lot of competition, but I thought she was very good.

Edited By criddic3 on 1202333873
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ETHAN HAWKE, GIRLFRIEND EXPECTING A BABY

Jan 30, 4:59 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Ethan Hawke and his girlfriend, Ryan Shawhughes, are expecting a baby.

"I can confirm and they are thrilled," Hawke's publicist, Mara Buxbaum, told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

"No further details will be made available," Buxbaum said in an e-mail.

Hawke, 37, has two children from his marriage to Uma Thurman.

His screen credits include "Training Day,""Dead Poets Society,""Great Expectations" and "Before Sunset."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Philly See Hoff naked. Enough said.

No but seriously. Horrible acting, bad screenplay, ugly looking film.

Half star. That's my rating, and a comment on Hoffman's celebrity status.

Edited By Akash on 1201718052
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Inept.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

vote and discuss.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's my review of Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - **
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Take heart Damien. It begins with an endorsement from Ebert. So that tells you everything you need to know right there.

Edited By Akash on 1199336900
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Aren't they currently doing an Otto Preminger retrospective? At least somebody there has some taste.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

It's the end of Civilization as we know it.

From the New York City repretory theatre Film Forum:

Coming up from Film Forum...

LUMET
“One of the most consistently intelligent directors of his time” (Roger Ebert), Sidney Lumet continues his five-decade career as an innovator and master of every aspect of moviemaking. This three-week retrospective includes 12 Angry Men (1957), Serpico (1973), Dog Day Afternoon (1975), The Pawnbroker (1965), Prince of the City (1981), and many others. Opening with a new 35mm print of the multiple Oscar-winning Network (Feb. 8-11). We play host to a special evening with Mr. Lumet on February 11.

Return to “2000 - 2007”