Ratatouille
8%
Away From Her
No votes

Total votes: 40

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Steph2 wrote:"I hated it. Hated it as much as a person can possibly hate a film. So you owe me forty bucks. But instead of giving it to me, just go ahead and use it to buy another copy of Ratatouille. Because after making me watch this horrible film, there is no way you are going to stop me from crushing this DVD in my hand."
Kudos Steph! my favorite new story by far...luckily he'll have 20 left over to buy a fresh copy of Wall-E if he tries that on you again....but

I like Ratatouille....help out Aakash
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

matthew wrote:I personally don't think there is such a thing as an overrated movie...the amount of praise a film receives correlates with the number of people who liked the film...or am I missing something here?

Anyway...I haven't seen a lot of the films on this list but one film which I didn't really like as much as a lot of other people did (as opposed to 'overrated'...) was Into the Wild. I thought it was ok but didn't really have much in the way of directorial style, meandered a bit too much and featured a quite unappealing central character.
Generally, when people use the word overrated, it's to state that their opinion of the film was markedly lower then their perception of how the film was received overall.

Zodiac, Once, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Ratatouille are all equally overrated. I like Zodiac the least, so it gets my vote. Or it would, but I wanna wait to see the rest first.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I voted for Ratatouille (and I'm assuming Damien was my partner in crime as the only other vote for this stupid film?) because honestly, the number of lists I've seen this on - even TOPPING some lists - amazes me. Are so many people really that taken in with the same Pixar formula again and again? There are people who always try to convince me, "No no! THIS one is amazing. Trust me" and every time they rope me into watching a Pixar film, I find myself reaching for the escape hatch.

True story: after despising Fucking Nemo and The Unincredibles, this guy I knew from one of my English classes bet me forty bucks (it was all he had on him at the time) that I would love Ratatouille (which he just bought on DVD). This guy is an otherwise intelligent English major, and it seemed to mean so much to him, so I reluctantly consented (I think he also thought this was a way to score a date with me, but unfortunately, the quickest way to turn me off is to make me watch a Pixar movie, and anyway he was blond haired and blue eyed. Not my type at all. I like my boys with a little melanin). Anyway, after sitting through that atrocious film, where I was so bored I started to think of all the errands I had to do the next day, he turned to me expectantly, so certain that I would share in the divine experience he had while watching this film. Instead, I calmly got up, walked right over the DVD player and removed the DVD. Then I turned to him, holding the little disc carelessly in my fingers and said, "I hated it. Hated it as much as a person can possibly hate a film. So you owe me forty bucks. But instead of giving it to me, just go ahead and use it to buy another copy of Ratatouille. Because after making me watch this horrible film, there is no way you are going to stop me from crushing this DVD in my hand."
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

I personally don't think there is such a thing as an overrated movie...the amount of praise a film receives correlates with the number of people who liked the film...or am I missing something here?

Anyway...I haven't seen a lot of the films on this list but one film which I didn't really like as much as a lot of other people did (as opposed to 'overrated'...) was Into the Wild. I thought it was ok but didn't really have much in the way of directorial style, meandered a bit too much and featured a quite unappealing central character.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Once.

I could understand people thinking it was cute. Or that it had a wonderful soundtrack. But a great piece of filmmaking? Those people are clearly looking for something else in their movies than I am.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I have to say Once. It's a nice little movie, but that's it. Juno is sweet, but also slight. None of the others are over-rated including Atonement which is neither as good as its supporters think it is or as bad as its detractors say it is.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow...I just realized that I've seen every one of these films...I'm rather amazed...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Not having I'm Not There to pick and having seen all but Once I will say Juno, which I liked, but was no big deal. As far as quirky little Canadian movies go (and this was made in Canada) I've seen better.
And for those who will argue at the exclusion of Sweeney Todd, I liked SW as well.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm in the same boat, Eric: I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet (hopefully, this weekend) and I may rent Ratatouille as well; but among the others that I've seen, I'm torn between Zodiac, Once and Juno.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Still have a couple to knock off before voting, but at this point I'm going to pick Once in a squeaker over Juno.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Another year, another poll. The list comes from MCN's compilation of critics' top 10 lists, as of 1/12/08.

Last year, some argument was generated over the fact that I didn't include Dreamgirls, which came in at #11, and I only include the top 10. This year, I almost changed my own rules for this poll, since I'm not quite sure that this list is as truly reflective of the "passion" certain films generated: it seems to me that there has been much more passionate support for, say, The Assassination of Jesse James... and I'm Not There than there has been for, say, Atonement and Diving Bell...but, I'm sticking with the rules.

So, what say you: what is the most overrated film of 2007?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2000 - 2007”