2%
1/2 *
2%
No votes

Total votes: 42

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:I am a total name-dropper, Akash.

On topic, I think Ellen Page will prove her versatility and full range as an actress when her portrayal of Sylvia Likens in An American Crime becomes available later this year. I just can't see having a part like that and not just completely running with it. She and Catherine Keener could both end up repeat nominees come next year.
I'm still waiting to hear more about Calvin Klein...but not in this thread.

I think Ellen Page shows promise, and while Juno was a good showcase for her, I found the film itself a bit too precious. On the other hand, I'll never understand the vitriol hurled at Little Miss Sunshine, one of the best written comedies of the last fifty years. I haven't laughed so hard at a movie since Auntie Mame.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Like 'Little Miss Sunshine', 'Juno' is less a movie than something that is marketed. It's about the parts more than the whole. It's far more engaging than 'Little Miss Sunshine'
Oh god it's WAY better than Little Miss Sunshine.

I have to disagree; I liked Little Miss Sunshine considerably moreso than Juno

I enjoyed Juno more than I did Little Miss Sunshine, but I don't loathe the latter like some do.

I'm so glad we're staying on topic. So much more exciting!

Edited By Akash on 1199466004
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I am a total name-dropper, Akash.

On topic, I think Ellen Page will prove her versatility and full range as an actress when her portrayal of Sylvia Likens in An American Crime becomes available later this year. I just can't see having a part like that and not just completely running with it. She and Catherine Keener could both end up repeat nominees come next year.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I enjoyed Juno more than I did Little Miss Sunshine, but I don't loathe the latter like some do.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:
Sabin wrote:Like 'Little Miss Sunshine', 'Juno' is less a movie than something that is marketed. It gives off a vibe to think about it. "Oh, 'Juno'! I love 'Juno'! It was written by a stripper! The soundtrack is so cool! Have you seen the trailer? Ellen Page is a revelation!" It's about the parts more than the whole. It's far more engaging than 'Little Miss Sunshine' in that the structure actually amounts to something and it's fairly funny throughout.

Oh god it's WAY better than Little Miss Sunshine. But I see your point.

I have to disagree; I liked Little Miss Sunshine considerably moreso than Juno. At least LMS was consistantly funny throughout, and comparitively original.

Edited By Penelope on 1199458532
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's the thing, Fanning always acts like she's significantly older than she really is. That's how kids roles are written these days. It's as if they are adults, not children and thus act that way. That's why I likened her to Ellen Page, which, as you agreed, acts like she's far older than she really is.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:Even when she was bringing scratch-and-sniff, oily stickers and Madonna mixes over to my house in 1985 to babysit me and my sister. We watched the movie Lucas (1986) together. I love Lauren Graham.

I swear, you are a bigger name dropper than you are a...oh wait, that might count as sex talk. And apparently in the parade of Puritanism, this board is determined to wave the flaming baton.

Edited By Akash on 1199458416
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin wrote:Like 'Little Miss Sunshine', 'Juno' is less a movie than something that is marketed. It gives off a vibe to think about it. "Oh, 'Juno'! I love 'Juno'! It was written by a stripper! The soundtrack is so cool! Have you seen the trailer? Ellen Page is a revelation!" It's about the parts more than the whole. It's far more engaging than 'Little Miss Sunshine' in that the structure actually amounts to something and it's fairly funny throughout.
Oh god it's WAY better than Little Miss Sunshine. But I see your point.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:Lauren Graham meanwhile was possibly the finest comedic actress on television (even when her series became dull) -- not to mention one of the hottest -- and with her chessire cat grin, her rapid-fire line delivery, and her undeniable charisma, she was always arresting (or at least in the episodes I saw) and easily more appealing than the boring mumble-mouth who played her daughter. Graham's scenes with Kelly Bishop were funny and touching as well.
She's has always been appealing. Even when she was bringing scratch-and-sniff, oily stickers and Madonna mixes over to my house in 1985 to babysit me and my sister. We watched the movie Lucas (1986) together. I love Lauren Graham.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Like 'Little Miss Sunshine', 'Juno' is less a movie than something that is marketed. It gives off a vibe to think about it. "Oh, 'Juno'! I love 'Juno'! It was written by a stripper! The soundtrack is so cool! Have you seen the trailer? Ellen Page is a revelation!" It's about the parts more than the whole. It's far more engaging than 'Little Miss Sunshine' in that the structure actually amounts to something and it's fairly funny throughout.
Page, though I thought she was excellent in Hard Candy, comes from the Dakota Fanning school of acting. She lays on the "I'm cool" style and smart-aleckiness that is atypical a child that age and turns it into something people find endearing. It's hardly naturalistic, the one problem I had with the film.

I couldn't stand 'Hard Candy' and Ellen Page is one-note throughout; clearly not her fault, as you can see the director guiding her towards this result, but in 'Juno' she displays far more range. Ellen Page is an actor if limited range but a role like Juno is pretty perfect. As an inherently stylized performer, I think this *is* naturalism for Ellen Page.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Dakota Fanning School of Acting when you like it to smart aleckiness atypic a child her age. For one thing, Dakota Fanning is never smart aleck, but incessantly precious. For another, Ellen Page is something like a decade older than her. She's 20 years old. I don't know many 20 year olds that speak like her but I don't think you can lump her in with Fanning.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I know a few people that talk like how they do in Juno so it didn't bother me any. I guess it's just my age. Some guy behind me in the theatre seemed a little pissed with how the story turned out in the end though. I liked how it ended. For a good part of the film I thought Juno was going to keep the baby, so I was a little surprised. The cast was good all-around, and I don't particularly care for Garner but she was at least tolerable in this film.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I've seen Alias, and yes she was horrible on that too.

Lauren Graham meanwhile was possibly the finest comedic actress on television (even when her series became dull) -- not to mention one of the hottest -- and with her chessire cat grin, her rapid-fire line delivery, and her undeniable charisma, she was always arresting (or at least in the episodes I saw) and easily more appealing than the boring mumble-mouth who played her daughter. Graham's scenes with Kelly Bishop were funny and touching as well.

There's just no comparison between her and Jennifer Garner.

Edited By Akash on 1199429877
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Aw, I think Jennifer Garner is a fantastic actress (obviously you guys have never watched Alias...best performance in a TV show this decade, save possibly for Lauren Graham). I haven't seen Juno yet, though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I love Allison Janney, she's wonderful inj it. And I even enjoyed Ellen Page. Garner is a waste of skim, as always.

I liked Juno more than I should have -- especially coming after the insipid and conservative Knocked Up.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I liked it, though I think the dialogue was too "new speak". It's inconceivable that teenagers would use that kind of dialogue and was a lot more "mature" than she needed to be. Page, though I thought she was excellent in Hard Candy, comes from the Dakota Fanning school of acting. She lays on the "I'm cool" style and smart-aleckiness that is atypical a child that age and turns it into something people find endearing. It's hardly naturalistic, the one problem I had with the film. While the situation was indeed typical of kids these days, the dialogue and resolution were anything but realistic. Now, I may be too old and this may indeed be the way teenagers act nowadays, but I sincerely doubt it.

I prefer the naturalistic styles of AnnaSophia Robb in Bridge to Terabithia and to a smaller extent Saoirse Ronan in Atonement. These kids are not only talented, they don't waste time trying to be precocious, they just convey sincerity and realism. I'd say Elle Fanning is even better at this than her sister.

For me, Jason Bateman, Allison Janney and J.K. Simmons were the standouts. I thought Michael Cera just stood around looking confused-glum without a lick of depth while, as I stated above, I found Ellen Page to be artificial and "kookie". While she's good at that and I think she could be better...Jennifer Garner...the less said about her non-talent, the better.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “2000 - 2007”