No votes
1/2 *
5%
No votes

Total votes: 22

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Upon my first viewing, I gave it *** for being a rather unruly, uneven narrative that effectively stops in its tracks after hour one only to gradually unspool in the final reels. I need to see it again before upgrading it but it has very strongly improved in memory. I'll say that Ben Affleck guides the cast to uniformly brilliant work, the best I've seen Ed Harris give this decade easily.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

poll added.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1204571135
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is one of the better-acted films this year. After being underwhelmed by the No Country ensemble and being confused by the Devil Knows You're Dead ensemble, everyone here (even Michelle Monaghan) does an excellent job. Amy Ryan is certainly good, but I would hardly call her more than that. She's not far and away better than everyone else this year. I'd say she's on an even footing with the Brionys, AnnaSophia Robb from Terabithia, Marisa Tomei in Devil, Olympia Dukakis in Away from Her and Sylvie Testud in La Vie en Rose...there may be others, but I don't have my list of films in front of me.

I've not seen I'm Not There, so I can't compare.

Overall, this is rather impressive work from Ben Affleck. It's amazing how two of the year's better films were directed by newcomers. Perhaps some of the old standbys need to learn from them and get back to basics.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I have that same feeling Damien, and despite not in any way fathoming why this could be, I agree with what Penelope said on another thread about this board, and even though we're in the minority, we're right and they're all wrong!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:I agree about Gone Baby Gone, but I think an Affleck strong showing in the critics' awards could boost him to contention. (Though possibly critics will be confused by the lead/supporting dichotomy created by the studio push for the latter)

I get the sinking feeling that in general few people other than those on this Board recognize the brilliance of Casey's work in Asassination.

Edited By Damien on 1196309443
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Heh, I was an Alias fanboy before it got really really bad.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I actually agree Pen. If only for Out of Sight. And I'd much rather watch Anaconda again that any episode of Alias.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Steph2 wrote:And I fail to see how Jennifer Garner is more talented than J.Lo. They're both equally terrible actors.
Oh, J.Lo is a considerably better actor than J.Gar.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Bog wrote:and he made a very bad choice with his public relationship with JLo and then Gigli, but honestly, he's not Tom Cruise, is he?
Well of course if your standard is J.Lo and T. Crazy, then Baff is the best actor in the world! He's not terrible, but he's nothing special either. And I say this as someone who finds him sexier than Matt Damon, but come on, are we really going to argue that Matty isn't the more substantial actor of the two?

And I fail to see how Jennifer Garner is more talented than J.Lo. They're both equally terrible actors.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I guess I will be labeled a Ben sympathizer but really I feel as though he's always gotten a bad rap to a point, he's often been very solid, if not better, on the screen (Chasing Amy, Shakespeare in Love, Changing Lanes, Hollywoodland). He seems to be portrayed as the idiot of the duo, on SNL- Damon slaving away on the typewriter while Ben is getting stoned, and he made a very bad choice with his public relationship with JLo and then Gigli, but honestly, he's not Tom Cruise, is he?

Now he writes and directs what should be considered one of the best movies of the year, largely due to his passionate directorial debut, and he has a normal non-public relationship with a more talented Jennifer, I feel he is on the upswing with his entire hollywood career and think that he should be cut some slack, I personally cannot wait for his next effort behind the camera.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:“I’m not sure exactly when Casey Affleck became such a good actor.”
That's gotta be hard for Benny, especially since Casey has always been the better actor of the two brothers. Even in Good Will Hunting.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:I'd be surprised if The Assassination of Jesse James is nominated for anything -- it was such an unmitigated disaster at the box-office. (Cinematography is a possibility, but that's it.) And I don't see Gone Baby Gone being up for anything other than Amy Ryan's performance.

I hope I'm wrong.
I agree about Gone Baby Gone, but I think an Affleck strong showing in the critics' awards could boost him to contention. (Though possibly critics will be confused by the lead/supporting dichotomy created by the studio push for the latter)

It's a somewhat different case, because the commercial failure wasn't as huge, but I remember thinking it was a shame Russell Crowe's Insider performance probably wouldn't be nominated because The Insider had so tanked. Three top critics' awards later, he was on his way, and carried the film along with him. (And what a monster that created...)

So many critically praised films have failed this Fall (I'm Not There seems well on its way to joining the group) that I wonder if box-office might not be quite so meaningful as usual in terms of individual acting nominations.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'd be surprised if The Assassination of Jesse James is nominated for anything -- it was such an unmitigated disaster at the box-office. (Cinematography is a possibility, but that's it.) And I don't see Gone Baby Gone being up for anything other than Amy Ryan's performance.

I hope I'm wrong.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Exactly what I can't understand is that with the unforgivable placement for his more touted role, they aren't pushing him harder for actor for this excellent performance, and it's not like any of us are used to our favorites each year being recognized, at least not very often at all, but he has roles that are out there and should be highly considered, not ridiculously small, unknown, non-Oscar season films or anything...his 2 films will likely be peppered with supporting actress, screenplay, and cinematography nods at least and he will be watching from the sidelines, I know it's a broken record, but it seems egregious
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Who knows, there's still that chance Affleck will get the Best Actor nom instead. Cross your fingers.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “2000 - 2007”