The Official Review Thread of 2005

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ROBOTS
Cast: Ewan McGregor, Halle Berry, Greg Kinnear, Robin Williams, Jim Broadbent, Mel Brooks, Amanda Bynes, Drew Carey, Jennifer Coolidge, Paul Giamatti, Dan Hedaya, Alan Rosenberg, Stanley Tucci, Dianne Wiest, Natasha Lyonne.
Dir: Chris Wedge

Some truly neat visuals and action set pieces plus some good jokes (not to mention Paul Giamatti AGAIN being the best part of the movie) keeps this just hovering above mediocre. Perhaps I've been spoiled by PIXAR, but I expected something a bit more.

Oscar Prospects: Best Animated Feature if there are 5 nominees or if there aren't 3 films that get bigger buzz and better reviews. Maybe also Sound Editing.

Grade: C+
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Constantine--**
...suppose I should be grateful that it's not as stuff like Van Helsing (and I should add that the jackass behind me talked for the entire film and one of the speakers was shot) but it's pretty monotonous stuff. The visuals are great, unless they're horrible (one shot of dying cows comes to mind, which would be truly unnerving but too dark to barely make out) and the film benefits from some truly outlandish support from Shia LaBeouf and Peter Storemare channelling Brando; no idea why Rachel Weisz persists in schlock like this ($$$). Keanu is terrible, directing is perfunctory, screenplay is incoherent. Whatchugonnado?

The second star is a guestimation; I hate when stupid films ask the deep questions and don't even bother to blow them off snidely in an interesting manner, but in a perfect world - where the jackass behind me died of an overdose in a gutter and eroded with time never to be seen again, EVER - I think I might've tolerated it.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

KUNG FU HUSTLE
Cast: Stephen Chow, Yuen Qiu, Wah Yuen, Siu Lung Leung, Kwok Kuen Chan, Huang Cheng Yi.
Dir: Stephen Chow

Surprisingly good. A local organized crime syndicate, which includes a bumbling aspiring criminal, goes head to head with a lowly apartment district of the city where just so happens a small group of retired, powerful kung fu masters live. Very stylish and visually stunning with a strong sense of humor and fun. I should see Shaolin Soccer soon.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: B+

Return to “2000 - 2007”