No votes
1/2 *
5%
No votes

Total votes: 20

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Corpse Bride was also very interesting and showed that Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter can sing.

What did Depp sing in Corpse Bride (seriously, I've forgotten)? Anyway, the level of singing required by Sweeney Todd is in a different galaxy than what was done in the Corpse Bride anyway.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This is too similar to the Marie Antoinette campaign.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

From what I've been able to ascertain, Sondheim is working very closely with Burton on the adaptation and every actor must have his seal of approval before signing on.

Anyway, Burton has done musicals before... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had some musical numbers, and The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite musical of the 1990s, even though it was animated... and directed by Henry Selick... but Burton was still the mastermind behind it. Corpse Bride was also very interesting and showed that Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter can sing.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

FilmFan720 wrote:The big difference here is that this is a MUSICAL, and a very difficult musical at that. In order for this film to work, you need vocal powerhouses in the all the key roles, but especially Sweeney Todd, Judge Terpin, The Beadle, Anthony, Johanna and the Beggar Woman. Pirelli and Mrs. Lovett can get away with not being powerhouses, but still need a strong voice. So far, Burton seems bent on casting great personalities for the roles, but not one of these actors has any sort of legitimate singing credentials to their name.
Exactly my point. I don't care WHO is directing it. This is not an ordinary musical at that: Sweeney Todd is one of the great ones. Perhaps Burton is "doing a Condon"( Condon was able to step-up a very run-of-the-mill musical, maybe Burton this HE can too). It is sacreligious to not give Sweeney Todd the best performers with legitimate musical experience. There are many who COULD do this show, but I rather doubt that Burton's cast is going to shine. What's wrong with Sondheim that he did not stop this travesty?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The big difference here is that this is a MUSICAL, and a very difficult musical at that. In order for this film to work, you need vocal powerhouses in the all the key roles, but especially Sweeney Todd, Judge Terpin, The Beadle, Anthony, Johanna and the Beggar Woman. Pirelli and Mrs. Lovett can get away with not being powerhouses, but still need a strong voice. So far, Burton seems bent on casting great personalities for the roles, but not one of these actors has any sort of legitimate singing credentials to their name.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:Again, a great cast if Tim Burton weren't butchering the musical. This could be one of the most painful films of the year.
You haven't even seen a single frame yet you already assume Burton's butchering it. I mean, I'm not saying that it's a sure thing (I'm on the 'cautiously optimistic' camp) but could you cut him a little bit of slack? I happen to admire Burton as a filmmaker (the only film I've seen of his I outright hated was Planet of the Apes) and I think his sensibility is well-suited for this musical.

As for Johnny Depp, well, Burton faced sort of similar criticisms when he cast Michael Keaton as Batman.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Again, a great cast if Tim Burton weren't butchering the musical. This could be one of the most painful films of the year.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Please respect one-finger typing. Like "please respect farm vehicles" out here ( re my last post).
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

In repsect to Sondheim, I may totally avoid Johnny Dapp and Helene Bonham Carter,yes verily, even Christopher Lee. What fresh hell is this?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Well, any movie with Christoher Lee in it cannot be totally bad.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Christopher Lee, Anthony Stewart Head (Giles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Timothy Spall (as the Beadle) joins the cast.

The logo of the movie as it appeared in an ad in Variety.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

All I have to say is thank goodness they picked someone who has singing ability. Johanna absolutely requires that...I just hope she isn't the screeching soprano that has been cast previously.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Johanna has been cast.

It's an unknown.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The difference, Penelope is that many of us are intimately familiar with Stephen Sondheim's musical and love it, so it's got mighty expectations to live up to. And with the casting and director assigned so far, none of us can expect it to be a grand night at the movies. However, I'll still see it anyway but every aspect thus described haven't been promising.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, I presume if one can love a movie in advance (Dreamgirls), one can hate a movie in advance. Have at it!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2000 - 2007”