No votes
1/2 *
5%
No votes

Total votes: 20

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, since they got Johnny Depp (who was dubbed in his last singing role) for the lead, this project's been dying a slow death.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

You also have to be an operatically trained tenor to take on the role of Pirelli. Singing should be the FIRST consideration.

Can they kill this project, please?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Pirelli has always been a comic relief character (at least the versions I'm familiar with), so Cohen isn't such a bad choice for the role (especially if he can sing).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Physically works for the role but can he sing?
I've been told that he actually can sing.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. There is no good reason for this choice.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Physically works for the role but can he sing?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Sacha Baron Cohen has reportedly been cast as Pirelli.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

That picture makes me even less excited about the film than I already was...a watered down version of a watered down musical with uninspiring casting and a hack director...the only saving grace could be the presence of Christopher Walken, although I think he to is miscast.

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

OMG!!! I just saw a pic of Travolta in Hairspray. I didn't know he was gonna be in drag and a fat suit for the role! Guess I'm looking forward to the film. I think it will shake up the box-office for sure considering previous Shankman's films as listed by MovieWes were all hits.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Hairspray will suck. In addition to John Travolta stinking up the screen (along with Queen Latifah and Amanda Bynes), the film will be directed by Adam Shankman, whose resume includes Cheaper by the Dozen 2, The Pacifier, and Bringing Down the House.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Hustler wrote:
maybe Glenn Close and Ewan McGregor in Sunset Boulvard
Magilla, according to IMDB, Sunset Boulevard was postponed for 2008. McGregor seems already not to be part of the cast.
I read somewhere that Hugh Jackman is also being considered opposite Close in Sunset Blvd.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I certainly hope the Hugh Jackman project becomes a reality. Carousel is, imho, unquestionably Rodgers and Hammerstein's finest musical, filled with richness and depth, not to mention some of their best songs. As much as I enjoy Henry King's 1956 film version--with Gordon MacRae's best screen performance, as Billy Bigelow, and possibly Shirley Jones' best--it's rather flat cinematically. Any word on who may be directing?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Only Glenn Close has officially been cast, but who knows if it will ever get made. Same is true for Carousel and even Sweeney Todd. Remakes of Guys and Dolsl and Damn Yankees were announced, and then dropped in the last few years. Only Hairspray, which is in production, is close to being a reality.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

maybe Glenn Close and Ewan McGregor in Sunset Boulvard
Magilla, according to IMDB, Sunset Boulevard was postponed for 2008. McGregor seems already not to be part of the cast.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

2007 may well be the biggest year for musicals since the 1960s. In additon to what sounds like a lame-brained version of Sweeney Tood, we can also expect John Travolta in Hairspray and maybe Glenn Close and Ewan McGregor in Sunset Boulvard and this just in, Hugh Jackman in a remake of Carousel. Per Broadway's Biggest Hits:

Hugh Jackman will star as Billy Bigelow in a remake of the 1956 Rodgers and Hammerstein movie musical "Carousel," which originally opened on Broadway in 1945. Jackman, a Tony winner for "The Boy from Oz," previously played the part in a 2002 concert at Carnegie Hall. He's also starred on the London stage in Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma!" as well as in "Sunset Boulevard" in his native Australia.

Return to “2000 - 2007”