Total votes: 26

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

He's right about CHICKEN RUN though.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:But The Alvin Show was a weekly primetime network program when I was a kid, so Alvin, Simon, Theodore and Dave Seville are ingrained as part of my life.

Alvin? Talk about ugly rats.

Sabin is right. Ratatouille was the best film of the summer (and possibly of the year). It has so much to say about the relationship among art, artist and critic and in terms of narrative authority and perspective, it's one of the most democratic films I've ever seen. It's right up there with Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc and maybe -- maybe -- even a little higher.

Edited By Akash on 1196988378
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That's as witless as the movie you awarded 3 and 1/2 stars to itself.

I expect better from you.

Damien, old chum, I have nothing left. You called it the ugly rat film. What can I say? I sat through the movie, mouth agape, staring at some of the most glorious animation I've ever seen, and totally digging this weird little movie. You hate that the rats take the kitchen.

For an honest debate, I'll toss you that the film suffers from a weak protagonist but I found Linguini's lovelorn chef endearing and Remy's arcade game-controlling of his limbs absolutely inspired. I haven't seen the film since its initial release but I wouldn't hesitate to for a second. It's a step-up from 'The Incredibles' and my favorite PIXAR film since 'Monsters, Inc.'. I have nothing but praise for the film. How you can despise this charming trifle is beyond me. 'Ratatouille' was one of the brightest patches of a bleak, impersonal summer....blah, blah, blah.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Original BJ wrote:Why does the world make no SENSE!?!?!?!?!
Because what fun would it be if it did? :D

But The Alvin Show was a weekly primetime network program when I was a kid, so Alvin, Simon, Theodore and Dave Seville are ingrained as part of my life.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Damien wrote:I'm looking forward to Alvin and The Chipmunks -- the trailer is a hoot!
Why does the world make no SENSE!?!?!?!?!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I knew it had something to do with your beloved...I was gonna say something earlier, but got busy.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ITALIANO wrote:At the same time I wonder why Damien keeps watching them. I mean, just looking at the trailer it was obvious that this Ratatouille was just another cartoon. Is it masochism or what?
I don't watch many of them, but every year or two there's one which adherents claim is a break-through film, one which achieves a new level of creativity and humor intelligence. Even though it never turns out to be true -- they pulled thuis crap with Chicken Run, Finding Nemo and, especially, The Incredibles -- I still feel somewhat obligated to check them out, because otherwise I'd have no basis of complaint. Also, my Beloved likes goddamn cartoons, so he bought Ratatouille. Since it was already in the house, I figured why not watch it?

And I don't hate all cartoons. Watership Down, for instance, is a wonderful film, one of the best of 1978. Dumbo and Song of the South and The Aristocats are all delightful. Joe Dante's semi-cartoon (and very Frank Tashlin-esque) Looney Tunes: Back In Action is my favorite film of 2003ish And the Warner Brothers Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoons from the 30s through the 50s are frequently great works of popular art.

I'm looking forward to Alvin and The Chipmunks -- the trailer is a hoot!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"Unappealing rat film" is right, rudeboy. There are about 1,000 movies I'd watch before this one.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Damien wrote:I just wish I could figure out why you all (and many reviewers) treat these imbecilic goddamn caroons as if they have quality. I'm at a complete loss, other than that it must be a form of infantilism, reverting back to early childhood. It's embarrassing really.
My wife always gets on me about watching cartoons, saying they are for kids and she doesn't understand why I watch them. I'll admit that I consider myself a kid at times. What's wrong with that? It keeps me sane. One thing to consider: Cartoons are for kids, animation can be for everyone. (Mickey Mouse was a cartoon / old Bugs Bunny wasnt') It's all animated of course, but I see them in different spectrums. Most animated movies now adays are cartoons and the lot of them aren't very good at all. Pixar is the only studio doing anything right in the a world full of shitty Dreamworks productions, but even Pixar spits out pieces of garbage. The field has become so saturated that anything released seems like another piece of trash.

But, with that being said - I liked Ratatouille and I'm not embarrassed, and I don't feel that anyone should feel embarrassed for those that enjoy a little bit of animation or goddamn cartoons.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:At the same time I wonder why Damien keeps watching them. I mean, just looking at the trailer it was obvious that this Ratatouille was just another cartoon. Is it masochism or what?
Probably the same reason you're still here even though we drive you nuts.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I don't know much about cartoons, because I've stopped watching them (the last I saw was Beauty and the Beast, and only because it had been nominated for Best Picture). Damien isn't completely wrong, in this case; it may be a form of infantilism, of going back to childhood - nothing to be ashamed of, by the way, but it certainly could be one of the reasons why so many adults are bizarrely fascinated by them. As for me, I honestly can't relate to them - can't feel their charm. Now, of course one could say that it IS my problem, that I'm not on good terms with my "child" part, and it may even be true - still I'm quite sure that while cartoons can be probably a pleasant experience for some, treating them with the respect one accords to works of art is, in most cases, an exaggeration. Enjoyable, I can understand, thought-provoking, well, sorry, no, though of course there can be exceptions.

At the same time I wonder why Damien keeps watching them. I mean, just looking at the trailer it was obvious that this Ratatouille was just another cartoon. Is it masochism or what?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:It would be like a morning without coffee, wouldn't it Damien?
I usually drink tea in the morning :D

I just wish I could figure out why you all (and many reviewers) treat these imbecilic goddamn caroons as if they have quality. I'm at a complete loss, other than that it must be a form of infantilism, reverting back to early childhood. It's embarrassing really.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

It would be like a morning without coffee, wouldn't it Damien?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That may not be so far away, Anon...after all, he is starring in a Sidney Lumet film...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Oh, Damien. Don't be an old grouch--even if you are a cat-person! I abhor the idea of rats in the kitchen too, but this is a cartoon, for heavens' sakes. I thought it was a charming film, as good as The Incredibles. CERTAINLY better than South Park for kids, and that's who most cartoons are aimed at. And you can keep Beavis and Butthead--sorry disgusting lot.

Edited By cam on 1196912152

Return to “2000 - 2007”