Enchanted

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Bah, humbug!

As an antidote I watched Man's Castle, Frank Borzage's lean 67 minute romance from 1933. Though the film has problems, Spencer Tracy's "comical" threats to beat Loretta Young and Young's happiness at just being able to cook and clean for Tracy chief among them, the film brims with charm and wit and class, everything that is missing from Enchanted.

Young was only twenty when she made the film, but it was already her fiftieth movie. Despite her experience she displayed a natural charm and innocence that didn't require ditziness and fakery to win over an audience.

Good supporting cast, too: Marjorie Rambeau, Glenda Farrell, Walter Connolly, Arthur Hohl and little Dickie Moore, who is still with us, married to Jane Powell now. Jane Powell - now, there is someone who could enchant with her singing.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

My lord, Magilla. Are there Scrooges in March? It wasn't that bad. And August Rush?

It's Idina Menzel.

Edited By flipp525 on 1205925319
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:Hell, August Rush makes better use of Central Park.
Let's not go TOO far... ???
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm chiming in on this way late having just watched the DVD. Charmless and witless are the two words that come to mind.

I couldn't stand Amy Adams in Junebug. Here, she isn't annoying, just drab for the the film's first hour or so. She comes alive when she takes on human qualities in the face of her Prince Charming showing up, but by then it's too little too late.

The songs are quite forgettable. One wonders if they didn't hire the likes of such musical comedy stalwarts as Medina Menzel, Tonya Pinkins and Paige O'Hara with intentions of having them sing, but couldn't find the material for them.

James Marsden is amusing at first, but his dim bulb Prince Charming wears thin. Timothy Spall's hammy villain at least livens things up, which is more than you can say for Patrick Dempsey who sleep walks through his part. The less said about Susan Sarandon the better.

The film references other Disney works but all in such a dull way as to make you wish you were seeing one of them instead - there are the numerous references to Cinderella, the poison apple from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the waking kiss from Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, the restaurant from Lady and the Tramp, as well as copious references to Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and others.

Having Julie Andrews narrate only serves to underscore the classlessness of rest of the project. Bridge to Terabithia and Stardust remain last year's best fantasy films. Hell, August Rush makes better use of Central Park.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I got to the movie late myself (though while it was still in theatres). I'd be mostly in accord with your take. Adams elevated the material (her "I'm angry" scene was a kick). It was a decent enough family film.

I suspect the movie's biggest problem, as per the reactions of those who saw it opening weekend, was it was oversold -- or, better, sold as something it wasn't: a satirical critique of the Disney fantasy factory. It was critical of Disney like Howard Kurtz is critical of the media -- barely enough to notice. Had the movie been simply presented as a mostly live-action version of the standard Disney fantasy, I doubt alot of us would ever have seen it, but those who did wouldn't have been so disappointed.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This movie's cute. Not really my thing. Some interesting gender switches that are pretty myopic in nature but still appreciative. I thought James Marsden was hilarious. Amy Adams is still a very lovely screen presence and I have no idea what you people who bemoan her performance here and in 'Junebug' are talking about. Patrick Dempsey still a wooden mannequin. Not a bad picture. Good for families.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Other facts about those figures, Cam. It is the second biggest Thanksgiving opening behind Toy Story, which took in $80M over the 5-day.

Those are 5-day totals (Wed-Sun), not weekend totals. The weekend was $35M.

The $13,418 per screen average (all based on estimates) of the film was actually lower than the wide release of This Christmas, which was $14,586 a little less than half the screens (3,730 compared to $1,858).

The per screen was also the lowest 5-day Thanksgiving opener since The Haunted Mansion. Flubber, Toy Story, Back to the Future II, 101 Dalmatians, A Bug's Life and Unbreakable all had higher per screens for that period.

Now, if you take out Wednesday and Thursday, the 3-day estimate was ranked 6 for the weekend behind The second week runs of Happy Feet, The Grinch, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Toy Story 2 (the first week was limited, so really this was its first wide release weekend) and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I just thought the $50M total needed a touch of perspective.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

anonymous wrote:But Jamie Lee Curtis (or Glenn Close in 101 Dalmatians, also in a live-action Disney movie where her performance got similar acclaim) did not get reviews where she is compared to Julie Andrews or reviews with the words "star making performance" in it either.
You definitely have a point, but I think Enchanted is a lot closer in quality to 101 Dalmatians than Mary Poppins.

(I mean, seriously, folks, those Mary Poppins comparisons are rather astonishing, IMO. What's next? Declaring Atonement is the second coming of Casablanca and Sunrise?)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's not really shocking, cam. The film had good reviews and Disney's stamp of approval. It was going to be a hit for them regardless of any other factor.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Enchanted made $50million at the box office this weekend.
Hmm...
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I saw it this weekend because of you guys and I'm with Damien, it's awful! One of the worst movies of the year. I like both Adams and Marsden, but they're both wasted in it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Original BJ wrote:I think the best comparison is not Johnny Depp '03 but Jamie Lee Curtis '03: a family film performance everyone agreed was terrific, but in a film Oscar wouldn't take seriously enough. I bet Enchanted faces the same fate, as this is definitely kids' stuff.

But Jamie Lee Curtis (or Glenn Close in 101 Dalmatians, also in a live-action Disney movie where her performance got similar acclaim) did not get reviews where she is compared to Julie Andrews or reviews with the words "star making performance" in it either. And Freaky Friday pretty much tapered off by September. Enchanted opened just before awards season to rapturous reviews.

Amy Adams is a beautiful young actress previously known for her Academy Award nominated work in a little seen indie flick headlining her first big movie. She was able to turn her Oscar nomination into box-office gold.

This is why she'll probably get in.

Edited By anonymous on 1195980200
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:The New York City in the film seems to have been created by people who never stepped foot here, and who's idea of New York comes from 70s and 80s films
Funny, the same could be said of the creators of this year's other hideous cartoon, "The Brave One" starring Jodie Foster. As well as the people who liked it.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I saw this Friday night. It wasn't great but it wasn't as bad as the trailer suggested. The only real enjoyment I got out of it was the animation and two of the songs ("Happy Working Song" and "That's How You Know") but the rest of it was your basic, live-action Disney garbage.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Original BJ wrote:(Note to Damien: DO NOT see this movie. It is a goddamn cartoon through and through. I can give you a list of twenty-five goddamn cartoons off the top of my head you should see before submit yourself to this. Seriously.)

Too late. I saw it tonight. :;): Couldn't stand it. I had expected a witty, sophisticated deconstruction of fairy tales and the conventions of goddamned cartoons (much as The Drowsy Chaperone deconstructs musicals and the men who love them).

There's nothing particularly clever in the film. "Happy Working Song" comes closest, but the filmmakers blow it by not building up in the number -- instead of having rats emerge immediately when Adams sings, they should have starrted with dogs, cats and squirrels and then little by little add gross New York creatures such as pigeons, mice, cockroaches and rats. That kind of comedy build up should have been elememtal; the lack thereof shows how clueless the people making this film were.

The New York City in the film seems to have been created by people who never stepped foot here, and who's idea of New York comes from 70s and 80s films and old Johnny Carson monologues.

The pacing is sluggish as the writing.

And WTF is this acclaim for Adams? She's as annoyingly one note here as she was in the excruciating Junebug. She's charmless. James Marsden and Timothy Spall completely miss the mark, and are not even remotely amusing (although, admittedly, they have crap material to deal with). Sarandon's also a bore.

A stupid piece of junk.

Edited By Damien on 1195968814
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “2000 - 2007”