Something's Gotta Give

dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I LOVE this movie! Keaton and Nicholson are such an amazing couple. Everything s great in the film... Acting (though i didn't love Reeves that much), art direction, music, cinematography, screennplay, ending.. ahhh. :)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

cam wrote:Not having seen this, I wonder if it is the same basic story as the film of the same name ( which I think was never released) with Marilyn Monroe?
No, the film Monroe was working on when she died was a remake of Garson Kanin's My Favorite Wife and was eventually done as the 1963 Doris Day vehicle Move Over, Darling.

Something's Gotta Give had nothing in common other than the title.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Not having seen this, I wonder if it is the same basic story as the film of the same name ( which I think was never released) with Marilyn Monroe?

Edited By cam on 1202338669
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I agree Sabin. Keaton makes a barely mediocre film far more watchable than it should be. Effortless is the right word to describe her talents and the film is a reminder of how charismatic this wonderful actress is. Nicholson though does his usual lazy shtick in it (thank god they had the good sense not to nominate him -- they already gave him an oscar for this same performance in the loathesome "As Good As It Gets") and truthfully, he hasn't given a truly great performance since "The Pledge." But this is all Keaton's film and her loss to the already forgettably shrill and mannered performance by Charlize Theron is just another example of Oscar short sightedness.

Edited By Akash on 1202262491
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I just watched this with a couple of American girls in Tel Aviv and have now experienced Nancy Meyers' film with the two target demographics: women & AARP. I'm inclined to put my film nerd instincts on hold for all the film's shortcomings and my goodness does this film have loads of them. It's meandering, simplistic in jokes and relationship dynamics, the score is pure schmaltz, and the dissection of relationship is so forced I can only dream of what this film might be were it perhaps a collaborative effort with someone other than the auteur behind 'What Women Want' (perhaps the most categorically wrongheaded farce of the decade).

...and yet I liked it. The film is a masterpiece of Diane Keaton's strengths and she gives such a fantastic performance. Erica Barry isn't exactly Annie Hall or Mary Wilkie but she's a vibrant characterization given to us by one of our most effortless performers. The cinematography is beautiful, the art direction perfect, and I must say that for what it strives to do and be I'm willing to forgive its fundamental gracelessness. And this is an oft-graceless production. One that my parents loved and my American girls loved as well.

Diane Keaton deserved the Oscar.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2000 - 2007”