No votes
1/2 *
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 32

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

For nothing more than adding more speculation to this fine argument here over a very passionate topic on this board...the 3.5 star from Eric and the boys is only shared with two other films I believe: We Own the Night, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, ironically enough two films that I feel resonate at least with me looong after viewing and feel are excellent in their own way, but largely will go no further than that in this year's Oscar race...

so now we have another reasoning don't we, if Slant liked it then it most likely will not receive well with Oscar members
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Really, Eric?

I don't think we care as much about what gets nominated for, and ultimately wins, Oscars as we do about what we think should be nominated and eventuslly win, which is why so many of us engage in sharing our Oscar Shouldabeens. The real Oscars are often too painful to recall with anything approaching sheer joy so we engage in our fantasies about what they should have been. Since movies are fantasies to begin with, this is a lot less frustrating than dealing with the everyday reality of mational and international politics which we can only hope to fix in the future, maybe the present if we're really lucky, but not the past.

But, yeah, the hot buttons, definitely the hot buttons.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

If this board has a failing, it's caring too much about Oscar nominations either validating their taste or confirming their status as renegade, against-the-grain-of-popular-opinion tastemakers.

If it has more than one failing, it's caring too much about Oscar nominations either validating their taste or confirming their status as renegade, against-the-grain-of-popular-opinion tastemakers and unchecked hostility.

If it has three failings, it's caring too much about Oscar nominations either validating their taste or confirming their status as renegade, against-the-grain-of-popular-opinion tastemakers and unchecked hostility and everyone knowing eachother's hot buttons a little too well.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:Oh yes. 3.5 stars is a rave! The next thing you'll tell me is that B+ is the best grade anyone could get.

You don't read Slant very often, do you? On our scale, 3 stars is practically in the A-/B+ range.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I don't think it's a failure either, and I think that the migrations from one server to another had more to do with our loss in membership. However, if Oscar Guy ever called me a "petty fool" or anything like that, I would probably never come back. At the same time, I can understand Oscar Guy's frustration at Sabin, since they do seem to have an adversarial relationship, and I apologize for not recognizing that earlier.

But still, I think Oscar Guy can take a somewhat dismissive and aggressive tone towards those with whom he disagrees, and that's what I find troublesome.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I never thought of this board as a failure, either. I found that comment odd. In fact, I think it is made all the better by the small number of regulars around here...it is kind of like the Cheers of the Oscar boards, much more of a family than a popular hangout.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:But if I'm the reason this board's a failure, then so be it.
This board is hardly a failure. So it doesn't attract the number of posters that The Envelope and Awards Daily do, but so what? The people who post here are a smarter, nicer lot even if we do bicker from time to time. And most of us here wouldn't waste our time posting on those other boards.

As for No Country for Old Men, I have no idea whether I'll like it myself but it does seem to have enough partisans to not only make its inclusion in this year's Oscar race inevitable, but to be a major player. How much of a player, I don't know, but it will interesting to see how it plays out in the year end critics balloting which is only a few weeks away. Until then, can we all chill out a bit?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Dws, with all due respect, Sabin has been doing this to me for quite some time. He doesn't respect my opinions and does everything he can to undermine them.

You got me. Dude, we disagree on film. That doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinions. I just think you're very wrong about some shit and you're acting like I said something about your mother. Who gives a shit? This is Oscar predicting! Do me a favor: learn a catty comeback.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote:But digging up and highlighting two certifiably negative reviews of a movie when there are dozen of enthusiastic ones make it seem you're serving an agenda rather than objective truth.
I will try to be good. Tough, but I will try to be good.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Dws, with all due respect, Sabin has been doing this to me for quite some time. He doesn't respect my opinions and does everything he can to undermine them.

And I'm not the only person on this board who behaves poorly to other posters and I'm certainly not the only person who has lashed out like this in the past.

But you seem to blame me for the reason this message board isn't succeeding. I've tried a dozen times in the past to be polite and respectful and I've been quite successful in recent months. However, it seems that no matter how hard I try, I can't help it when people push my buttons and, in Sabin's case, I think he's doing it intentionally.

Look at my discussion with Flipp and others on the matter. Metered, polite response. But Sabin doesn't want that kind of response. He just wants to instigate things. So, I respond accordingly. Even if I were to respond politely, he'd still be an ass about it.

But if I'm the reason this board's a failure, then so be it.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1194298906
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

You tend to have--and I'll say this nicely--a history of being somewhat abrupt, and even rude, with posters. And yes, Sabin could be less of a smartass--I don't think he means it in a malicious way--but this is your place. You own it, and operate it, and you set the tone. Behave rudely and disrespectfully towards the guests, and they'll respond in kind.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Don't start that, dws. Sabin has been harping all day about my inclusion of Lions for Lambs. I even stated that I haven't had time to update but he ignores it. Sorry if it's rude to call him out on it, but I'm just sick of the way he's been treating me lately...I have tried politeness but Sabin just won't stop.

So my question is, why are you not lashing out at Sabin? He's been treating me like crap for a very long time, yet you don't say anything to him. I get angry about it and yell at him and suddenly you're bitching me out!
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:It's not like Coen-lover Sabin or any other poster will put up the negative notices for the film. Matter of fact, he'd have you think that it's the greatest American movie ever made by the way he fawns about it...

...And Sabin, you are a petty fool. I'll say this for the last time then I'm going to ignore you: I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO UPDATE MY SITE! LIONS FOR LAMBS IS NOT ON MY PERSONAL LIST ANYMORE! I'M SORRY IF YOU THINK IT IS, BUT YOU'RE WRONG!
How rude of you. It's no wonder that the number of active posters is just a fraction of what it once was, when the host exhibits these kinds of manners.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

DWS, I don't have anything against it at all. I haven't seen the film.

It's not like Coen-lover Sabin or any other poster will put up the negative notices for the film. Matter of fact, he'd have you think that it's the greatest American movie ever made by the way he fawns about it. So what if I post negative reviews? I'm just tired of certain individuals claiming the film is the Second Coming.

And, Tee, where's the objective truth from Sabin or any of the others? I haven't even heard the two of you point out that there are detractors. We must ignore them because the majority is positive? And we ALL do that. We all post the reviews we want people to read about films we think we'll like (after all, I'll repeat that no one on this board has seen this film yet to my knowledge).

And Sabin, you are a petty fool. I'll say this for the last time then I'm going to ignore you: I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO UPDATE MY SITE! LIONS FOR LAMBS IS NOT ON MY PERSONAL LIST ANYMORE! I'M SORRY IF YOU THINK IT IS, BUT YOU'RE WRONG!

Oh, and for the record, I predict you'll give the film four stars, regardless of any detractions...after all, the way you've been fawning over the film, I doubt even seeing it at this point will change your opinion.

But, I probably won't ever see the film. The trailer turned me off. From the trailer, I think Bardem looks stupid and the film looks highly uninteresting. I don't care if it is an Oscar nominee at this point. I have more important things and films to watch (and no, I'm not watching Lions for Lambs, either) at this point.
Wesley Lovell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Oh yes. 3.5 stars is a rave! The next thing you'll tell me is that B+ is the best grade anyone could get.

Yeeeessss! It starts to come out! The vendetta! The rejection of logic! Keep formulating your delicious arguments against 'No Country for Old Men'. You've lost, Wesley! It's over. You've revealed yourself: you don't want it to be good! You can't stand the idea of a Coen brothers movie being nominated! Calling it right now: You will give 'No Country for Old Men *** or **1/2 -- guaranteed! Nothing more, nothing less. It can't be done. The wager is set.

Keep on plugging 'Dreamlions for Lambs' and see where it gets you. Incidentally, this 3.5 stars is more rave than they've given any Best Picture nominee in the past two years...so, yes.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2000 - 2007”