1/2 *
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 32

kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

flipp525 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Without spoiling anything (I'm not seeing it until Thanksgiving), is the ending going to be a real turnoff to many?

It wasn't a turnoff so much as it was an abruptly unsatisfying conclusion to what had been, up until that point, a brilliant film. To me, it just felt like the movie suddenly dropped off. Without giving too much away, it's preceded by one scene (that caused me to avert my eyes -- you'll see why) which had a haunting sense of closure for one character and then another scene that, upon reflection, seemed to act as a "final summation of themes". The last scene seems to make good on that penultimate scene between Ed Tom Bell and his uncle and does make a certain amount of sense. It just felt anti-climactic and abrupt.

When the screen went to black, one girl in the theater went, "What? That's it?" to the silent theater and then, everyone around me sort of agreed. I guess I just wanted one more scene. I don't know. Tomorrow, I might think something completely different about it. That's the sort of film experience it was.

Anyone else have another reaction?
I have not seen the film yet but I had a similar reaction to the book. Important developments, things I was looking forward to experiencing, took place "off camera", for lack of a better way to express it. During the long passages in italics, which are largely Bell's (Tommy Lee Jones' character) ruminations on life, we find out about a lot of important plot developments and changes in the lives of important characters. We find out about these developments as things that have already happened. This annoyed me, although many readers liked the unconventional storytelling.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I almost felt like the ending to No Country wasn't abrupt ENOUGH. I thought the third-to-last scene would have made a terrific ending, stark and brutally fatalistic. I thought the second-to-last scene would have also made a fine ending, a shocking and perfectly ironic exclamation mark. As for the last scene, it didn't bother me -- it's hauntingly sad and does sum up a lot of the film's themes -- but nor is it a terrific final moment either. My audience, however, thought otherwise: a vocal majority either groaned or yelled "what?!" as the credits began to roll.

Still, if The Sopranos can win an Emmy for an even more abrupt finale, I say No Country can at least fill the Goodfellas/Pulp Fiction/Fargo/L.A. Confidential Oscar-runner up slot. A win, though, seems unlikely for a film that isn't so easy to cuddle up to.

More later, but I liked it it a lot.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

It hasn't expanded to where I'm at yet, but I'll check it out when it does. Where would you rank it amongst the other Coen flicks?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sonic Youth wrote:Without spoiling anything (I'm not seeing it until Thanksgiving), is the ending going to be a real turnoff to many?

It wasn't a turnoff so much as it was an abrupt, unsatisfying conclusion to what had been, up until that point, a brilliant film. To me, it just felt like the movie suddenly dropped off. Without giving too much away, it's preceded by one scene (that caused me to avert my eyes -- you'll see why) which had a haunting sense of closure for one character and then another scene that, upon reflection, seemed to act as a "final summation of themes". The last scene seems to make good on that penultimate scene between Ed Tom Bell and his uncle and does make a certain amount of sense. It just felt anti-climactic and abrupt.

When the screen went to black, one girl in the theater went, "What? That's it?" to the silent theater and then, everyone around me sort of agreed. I guess I just wanted one more scene. I don't know. Tomorrow, I might think something completely different about it. That's the sort of film experience it was.

Anyone else have another reaction?

Edited By flipp525 on 1194751922
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Rob Nelson thought little enough of the ending to hint that he thought No Country had the potential to be one of the Coen's strongest up until that point; now he's basically mixed, if that. I can't wait to see this divisive coda. Is it A.I. all over again?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

flipp525 wrote:Javier Bardem deserves all the accolades he's already reaped for this role but Josh Brolin was really the standout for me. I just loved his performance. Kelly Macdonald was wonderfully endearing as his wife, Carla Jean. I'm still processing that ending, though. WTF?

See, this is what I think could hurt "No Country"s chances. The ending, whatever it is. More critics seem to appreciate it better than others and accept it on the film's own terms - and it's supposed to be completely faithful to the novel - but I'm getting the feeling audiences aren't going to dig it.

Without spoiling anything (I'm not seeing it until Thanksgiving), is the ending going to be a real turnoff to many?

P.S.: Rotten Tomatoes score now at 95%.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Nick Schager's ***1/2 review in SlantMagazine.com
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Javier Bardem deserves all the accolades he's already reaped for this role but Josh Brolin was really the standout for me. I just loved his performance. Kelly Macdonald was wonderfully endearing as his wife, Carla Jean. I'm still processing that ending, though. WTF?

Sabin: 1
OscarGuy: 0

Edited By flipp525 on 1194663573
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I really shouldn't have done this because I have sooo much work to do, but I'm with friends in NY this weekend and I am definitely going.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:So is everyone going tonight? I just got tickets to the 7pm show at the E Street theater downtown.
I wish...I am entering the weekend and week from Hell.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

So is everyone going tonight? I just got tickets to the 7pm show at the E Street theater downtown.

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Yes, I know you would, jg.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Just so it's clear (re: Magilla & Sonic's comments), I'm not taking sides pro or con the Coens, or pro or con its Oscar chances. I don't really have an opinion on the issue. My link to Rosenbaum's review was simply to indicate one intelligent heavy hitter's opinion. (I'd have posted it if it were four stars, honest.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Hmm. Well, Jonathan Rosenbaum is not a fan.
No, he isn't, but he spends a good part of his review talking about how popular the film was at Cannes and Toronto, and comparing it to The Silence of the Lambs, another popular film he didn't like, which as he explains, went on to win five Oscars in 1992.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Anyway, I think it's good that this thread is dominated with negative reviews for the film.

When a movie recieves a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 94 rating on Metacritic (with twelve perfect-100 scores as of now), it always feels like the contrary opinion is unfairly drowned out. Kudos to all who are trying to keep it... well, keep it equitable, if not real.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “2000 - 2007”