No votes
No votes

Total votes: 13

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

But that's not how it happens.

SPOILERS!!!....
...that's not how the elderly die. It's a long, languishing, lingering process that 'The Savages' disposed of in a far more simplistic manner than anything preceding it. I don't understand why it's considered breathlessly mean-spirited. If it's because of the almost simultaneous release of 'Away from Her', I say there's room enough in the universe for two different looks at Alzheimer's and Tamra Jenkins' worldview is totally valid when caring for the elderly. My only substantial issue was that Philip Bosco's character had to die for the healing process to begin. If anything, they continue to care for him as he becomes senile and slowly breaks down and the film finds uplift and purpose in that. That's my only problem. Substantial problem.
"How's the despair?"
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Funny you should say "third act issues". I actually found that the final reel or two redeemed (or at least came close to redeeming) what had up to that point been an aggressively mean-spirited comedy of just the sort I can't stand. It was heavy-handed of the script to keep breathlessly mentioning Brecht, and then turn on an obvious Brechtian device, but it still salvaged the picture for me.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Totally enjoyed it. Third act issues and rather cloying treatment of Alzheimer's in final stages but still very good.
"How's the despair?"
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Yes, until the turn, which is fascinating.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Shrill and nauseating.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

vote and discuss.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Loved 'The Savages'. Beautiful screenplay full of delicate touches and shifts in character dynamic. Laura Linney is fantastic, as is Philip Seymour Hoffman; this is a far less androcentric mid-life crisis film than I am used to seeing, and Hoffman at times is almost strikingly relegated to supporting status, which fits in with his repressed character although I would've appreciated a little more. This is Laura Linney's show and she doesn't disappoint at all. Philip Bosco is lovely and understated. Tamra Jenkins' mise-e-scene is naturalistic, unforced, but far from blasé. I loved 'Slums of Beverly Hills' and with one exception, 'The Savages' is worth the wait: I worked in a Jewish nursing home and there is a lack of realism re: Bosco's status (withholding spoilers) which I don't want to get into, but I will admit that it skirts cliché fairly well. As does most everything in this film.
"How's the despair?"
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Just saw and extended trailer for this film. I sure hope that Laura Linney is in the top five. She is one fine actress, long overdue for a win. She works so well with Hoffman in this ( basically) two-hander: they really work off one another. Can hardly wait to see it in the cinema.( Be prepared for a very dark brunette Linney--I think it suits her; she has always looked so washed out.)

Return to “2000 - 2007”