Infamous Reviews

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Trust me, I am not defending her filmography in any way, in my personaly feeling on this matter, I think the only way to come out with such drastically differing opinions of their performances is to have gone in with drastically differing opinions on the actors themselves....

I guess it's my bad for not being able to retrieve anything too worthwhile from either flawed film

All this talk about Capote and its merits at the Oscars, I'm gonna go watch The New World again
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:Hmm, the more we list her films, the less I feel like defending her.
And I had to rack my brain to come up with that performance, too, which isn't even that great. Her filmography really is less than stellar.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:I don’t remember While You Were Sleeping, but I do like Bullock in A Time to Kill.
Hmm, the more we list her films, the less I feel like defending her.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I've always fallen on Italiano's side in this debate. Very succinct description of the wonderful Catherine Keener's performance in Capote, Steph. Sandra Bullock's performance simply doesn't rate. It was completely unmemorable and even if Bennett Miller's film didn't exist, I wouldn't have placed her within fifty yards of an Oscar nomination for her version of Harper Lee.

I much preferred Heath Ledger's heartbreaking work in Brokeback Mountain that year, but I've never actively hated PSH's win, like most people on this board. There have been so many more objectionable choices to hate on (Russell Crowe much?).

I don’t remember While You Were Sleeping, but I do like Bullock in A Time to Kill.

Edited By flipp525 on 1197643714
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Steph2 wrote:
VanHelsing wrote:I would (plus all the critics who loved her performance)! You've got a problem with that?! :p

These critics must have suffered some form of head trauma where they think Sandra Bullock is now wonderful...oh wait, that's the stupid plot to While You Were Sleeping. :p
Well, Steph, I thought Bullock was better than Keener, and I'd even give Bullock a Best Actress nomination for While You Were Sleeping, a marvelous comedic performance in a movie that recalls the best comedies of the 1940s.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Steph, did you really hate this performance that much or do you hate all the crap she does all the time and on the flip side just like Keener and personally think she was better with the same role?

Cause really it's not a very objectionable performance, I don't feel either of them did anything revelatory except add a groundedness and homeliness to the over the top character of Capote

Assuming you pick the former option...Van Helsing is the last person probably anywhere to go to for objectivity about Sandy :D
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

VanHelsing wrote:I would (plus all the critics who loved her performance)! You've got a problem with that?! :p
These critics must have suffered some form of head trauma where they think Sandra Bullock is now wonderful...oh wait, that's the stupid plot to While You Were Sleeping. :p
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Steph2 wrote:I can't believe anyone would seriously compare her to Sandra Bullock.
I would (plus all the critics who loved her performance)! You've got a problem with that?! :p
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I was reading through the comments in this thread and I think Italiano is absolutely correct. Not only is Capote a better film, but Catherine Kenner is wonderful in it! A small role yes, but subtle, effective, and absolutely necessary to the film and to the success of Hoffman's performance. She is one of our finest actresses. I can't believe anyone would seriously compare her to Sandra Bullock.

The best thing about Infamous is Toby Jones, but I guess I'm one of the few people on this board who was happy with Hoffman winning his Oscar.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:Yes, we know that you are not gay (you repeat it often)
LMAO!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, we know that you are not gay (you repeat it often), but I find lots of male-woman scenes erotic, so I thought that the other case could work for you. Anyway, it's not erotic - at least we can agree on that.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Eroticism is something completely different. Maybe for Americans it is erotic - but then I'd really be worried. Italians can't stand this movie - even two minutes ago I...

'Infamous' tried to do something that was missing from 'Capote' and even though it didn't entirely work, I appreciate that. I didn't say it was erotic, I said it attempted to go for erotic undertones. I don't think it was erotic for several reasons, not the least of which is that I'm not gay. Glutton for punishment, maybe.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:Well... I'm impressed.
Well my list of accomplishments for this board are complete, then.

I only know what I've picked up from Italian films -- Pasolini in particular. "Furbetto" must not have been among them :)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well... I'm impressed. Bravo. You just missed "furbetto", which actually is difficult to translate - "smart" but in a negative, not direct way... and "compiaciuto" means rather "self-satisfied".

I think that's the way most Italians saw the movie - something easily dismissable, definitely not ground breaking filmmaking.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Does anyone speak fluent Italian? (besides Marco?) I'm curious. The little, horrible Italian I know could only come up with, "Had I not seen Capote, I would also praise it a little, but in comparison – and by now I know the story – everything is too rounded, simple, complacent (?) In one word – falser. And there is no competition between Jones and Hoffman. It’s not an ugly film, but the comparison to Capote kills it."

I apologize Marco for the awful translation (and for not being able to catch idioms or nuances in speech -- my French and Spanish is better). If anyone else is fluent in Italian, please help. I'm actually very curious.

Edited By Akash on 1197058512

Return to “2000 - 2007”