What Do You Think About....? - Is this movie good or bad?

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think High Fidelity is delightful. Cusack gives his best performance, the supporting cast is hilarious (especially Jack Black, Todd Louiso, and a to-die-for Tim Robbins), the writing sharp, sweet, and blissfully entertaining.

Great soundtrack, too, of course.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Wildly diverging opinions: interesting thread. Hate Jack Black in absolutely everything, like Cusack in almost everything( can't wait to see Grace Is Gone). High Fidelity was better the second time I saw it--the first time, I was rather confused( or maybe distracted). I have the VHF version--maybe I will watch it again, now.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:Hated it. An excruciating experience. Wanted to pummel Jack Black to within an inch of his life, he was so fucking annoying (that said, I was surprised that I then loved his performance in School of Rock). The best thing in the entire movie was, get ready, Catherine Zeta-Jones--in less than 5 minutes, she gave the best performance of her career.
I'd like to co-sign this entire post. One of the only times I could stand CZJ as well.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Nothing special, nothing to get me in a violent mode. I'm basically with rudeboy on this one on each point he makes, except for the fact that I despised GROSSE POINTE BLANK.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hated it. An excruciating experience. Wanted to pummel Jack Black to within an inch of his life, he was so fucking annoying (that said, I was surprised that I then loved his performance in School of Rock). The best thing in the entire movie was, get ready, Catherine Zeta-Jones--in less than 5 minutes, she gave the best performance of her career.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Excellent. Won't say a damn negative word. One of John Cusack's strongest performances. Still rather amazed that he can deliver so much self-aware verbiage to the screen and it feels oddly...naturalistic. Loved the film.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

rudeboy wrote:Didn't get the fuss over Jack Black's performance, a one-note irritant in both book and film.
And in general. I can't stand Jack Black.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Can't hold a candle to the book - unlike About a Boy, which I thought actually improved upon the source material. But transporting the story to the US works a lot better than it should have, Cusack is terrific (I prefer his performance in Grosse Point Blank but he could hardly be better cast) and the music's fun. Didn't get the fuss over Jack Black's performance, a one-note irritant in both book and film.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

High Fidelity is one of those overrated underrated movies. I know a lot of people that love it, one of Cusack's best, and others just don't understand what there is to like about it. I personally like the flick. Cusack and Black are excellent, the writing is bitter and witty, and the choice of music works well in establishing the overall feel of the movie. That's what I think about High Fidelity.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Yeah, I tried stickin' it in Misc. to even out, but even that wasn't correct.

So, with all integrity, I say this: My bad.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

atomic, you really need to watch your placement of new topics. This was posted in the 80th Academy Awards where it really doesn't belong.

Moved.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

This isn't a game, but it will perhaps spark some discussion. I'm going to name a movie, and you tell me whether you liked it or not and why... Let's start with..

What Do You Think About High Fidelity?

Return to “2000 - 2007”