War films 2007 - Katherine Monk( Vancouver Sun) discusses

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think it was considered Anti-War just because of its negative depiction of combat and death. It was more realistic than say The Green Berets which may have had realism attached, but was considerably more patriotic. I think that's the distinction here. Anti-War typically means not taking an overtly patriotic view of war and its repercussions.

Thus Saving Private Ryan: Patriotic. The Thin Red Line: Anti-War.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

QUOTE:
During the actual years of American involvement (1963-1975), very few movies dealing directly with Vietnam hit the screen, and the ones that did -- such as The Green Berets (1968) -- tended to be thinly veiled militaristic propaganda or tinny tributes to the fighting man and the military itself.
Katherine Monk, The Vancouver Sun

Richard Roeper said something similar, indicating that the filmakers waited until the Vietnam War was over before making films about it. Really? As if any studio was going to bankroll an anit-Vietnam War film while the troops were still there.

QUOTE:
Oliver Stone's Platoon issues the same trumpet blare saluting brave men of blood and bullets, as does Ted Kotcheff's First Blood.
Katherine Monk, The Vancouver Sun

Was Platoon not considered to be an anti-war film when it came out? Or did I just see it as such?
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Here is a good article on this year's war films--all liberal, so far.

http://www.canada.com/vancouv....143f954

Return to “2000 - 2007”