Dreamgirls or: How to Stop Discussing It and Talk - About Something Else

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Nik, what is Tom O'Neil's website these days? Is it that silly envelope thing? Got I could never bear looking at that site: Morons On Parade.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Tom O Neil is also gushing about Dreamgirls on his website. This might be one of the few times Tom and Damien ever had ANY interests in common :D
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damn...I really wanna see this thing now...I hope that DreamWorks is considerate enough to send me a screener. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From Cinematical:

THE TEST SCREENINGS FOR "DREAMGIRLS" HAVE STARTED: IT'S LOOKING VERY, VERY GOOD
Aug 12th 2006
by Martha Fischer
Filed under: Drama, Music & Musicals, Fandom

Oh man. Based on the people involved (well, person -- for me it's all about Bill Condon) and the early footage, I was already having a really hard time waiting until Christmas to see Dreamgirls. And now that the test screenings have started, resulting in reviews (from people who don't even like musicals) that say things like "this movie is F*CKING AMAZING. Definitely the best I've seen for a long, long time.", and "Dreamgirls is virtually flawless", and "probably the best movie I've seen in a couple of years", I'm pretty much totally freaking out.

Those quotes comes from the four screening reports that were sent to AICN yesterday, right after the first test screening (those spies work fast). While, yes, the reviews are typically hyperbolic, they also offer a lot of detail to support the raves and are tempered by minor criticism, so I feel pretty confident that they weren't written by Beyoncé's mom, or something. That said, however, the write-ups are so positive that, if you're excited about the movie already, it may be dangerous to read them -- like me, you'll just end up royally pissed off that it's only August.

================

And from Ain't It Cool News:

Zombie Bill & The Hedgehog have found their DREAMGIRLS!!!
Hey folks, Harry here with our San Diego spy, "Zombie Bill". After Beatrix exploded his heart - you'd think Bill would never love again... well he crawled his cadaverous kung fu corpse to the test screening of Bill Condon's DREAMGIRLS. ####, I don't blame him. Condon is an emerging filmmaking genius - and DREAMGIRLS is his "coming out" party. GODS & MONSTERS and KINSEY showed off his nuance as a director and a writer, while CHICAGO showed off his razzle dazzle for the musical genre. I'm expecting great things from DREAMGIRLS and it certainly seems... that's what we got...
DREAMGIRLS:

Last night I saw a test screening of the movie, Dreamgirls, starring Beyonce Knowles, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover and Jennifer Hudson. I must start by telling you that I am not completely sold on movie musicals. For the most part, I would rather see it on stage before I see it on screen. It just seems like musicals are difficult to translate to film. But of course there is always an exception to the rule and Dreamgirls is most definitely it.

As soon as the movie began, I knew Dreamgirls was in no way a traditional Broadway meets Hollywood musical. Writer/director, Bill Condon, intelligently stripped the movie of any Broadway cheesiness you might have seen in other movie musicals like The Producers and Rent. He instead kept the majority of the performances on stage and out of the street. By the time the first song was sung off stage, I was so engaged in the story I completely failed to notice or mind that it had even happened. The music itself is so infectiously singable. It has a vintage soulfulness that I think could easily make a big hit in todays music industry. It was no doubt a huge hit during the screening. Almost every number received cheering and loud applause. It was amazing to see the audience filled with energy and excitement after each number.

What really sold me on this film, however, was the acting talent of the entire cast. I expected the music to be great, but I never imagined the acting would be so outstanding. All I can say is Eddie Murphy will blow you away. He plays an unruly James Brownish character whose unpredictable antics will definitely make you laugh. Anika Noni Rose is a scene stealing fiend. Keep your eyes open, you will love her. Diana Ross, I mean, Beyonce Knowles is an amazing specimen. Her voice, her moves, her everything. She has the makings of a true Hollywood movie star. But the brightest of all the shining stars is by far, Jennifer Hudson. She plays, Effie White, a dismissed diva who sings a few show stopping songs that filled the audience with goose bumps, tears and uncontrolable cheers. She will definitely be a star after this movie. I can't believe that this is her film debut! There was such a believable realness to every word that came out of her mouth. I didn't matter whether the words were spoken or sung the audience loved every second of it. No pretense, no arrogance, just raw emotion. Definitely a sight worth seeing.

Besides a few slightly confusing bits of montage where Jamie Foxx steps into the bad side, Dreamgirls is virtually flawless. There will no doubt be tons of Oscar buzz. I highly recommend anyone who thinks they don't like musicals to go see it. It will completely change your perspective and believe me, you won't be able to get the songs out of your head. There will be a definite repeat viewing on my part and who knows maybe I'll watch it as many times as I watched Kill Bill.

And then that dirty fuzzy man known only as The Hedgehog burrowed in with this brief review:
Hey Harry,

Got a chance to catch this one in San Diego - loved it, thought it was a great movie and for it to be not yet finished...that's insane...First off the acting was great, Eddie Murphy was amazing and that girl from American Idol blew my mind, has she acted before in her life?

Loved all the acts in the opening talent show. The whole movie moves so fast - nothing really stands out that I didn't like, although I was a bit confused at the part towards the beginning when Jamie Fox is starting up the studio, it shows cuts of him selling a bunch of cars and then going to a boxing match, I'm guessing it was a rigged fight that he had set up to make the money, I mean it all came together at the end but it was just a little confusing when it was going on.

Nothing stood out as slow, I mean it was mixed with singing throughout enough that I didn't get disinterested ever. I really thought it was great and am excited to see it again when it's in theatres. People were applauding all the way through the movie, after a lot of the numbers and sometimes even during them. Oh, and after seeing that movie it made me wish I could bend Beyonce over, give her a good rodgering and make a map of Hawaii on her back....j/k...kind of.

The Hedgehog
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Back the original title of this thread...

This clip is of 11-year old Bianca Ryan from that ghastly show "America's Got Talent" singing Jennifer Holliday's classic hit from Dreamgirls "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going". It's pretty incredible. Her voice is better than every single female contestant from American Idol this past season, as well as most of the men. Watch as Brandy flips out at the girl's performance.

Go Bianca!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:But an Oscar nod might be a stretch, unless the film really scores at the box-office.
Well, now we know that it's scored at the box-office.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

You can watch a new ad for Dreamgirls at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNEbUj8ToNY

As far as I know, it's only run once so far, on the Black Enetertainment Television Awards show
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Big Magilla wrote:The problem with Little Children and Margaret is that they appear to be ensemble pieces

I don't know much about Margaret, but Little Children is not necessarily an ensemble piece--I've read the novel it's based on, and Kate and Patrick Wilson play the lead characters, with Jennifer Connelly in a supporting role as Wilson's wife; and there's also the possibility of Jackie Earle Haley (the kid from 1976's The Bad News Bears) in a potential comeback supporting bid (the role, as written on the page, offers terrific possibilities).

Yes, I know I'm an avowed Kate lover, but with a strong role in Little Children (though I'm hesitant about overall prospects with Todd Field behind the camera--but maybe he's improved since In the Bedroom) and a potential blockbuster with The Holiday (the trailer is a winner, and Kate looks radiant), my fingers are crossed that this could finally be her year.

As for Devil Wears Prada/Meryl Streep: I have to admit, the trailer--a brave choice in showing nearly a complete scene rather a montage of one-liners--promises--I hope--a winning comedy turn. But an Oscar nod might be a stretch, unless the film really scores at the box-office.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Liz Smith is beyond senile and has no standing with the Oscar voters. Yes, I know her column is ghost written, but the aging sycophants who ghost for her have no clue either.

The problem with Little Children and Margaret is that they appear to be ensemble pieces, the same problem that affects Bening's chances for a serious bid for Running With Scissors. The Painted Veil strikes me as too old-fashioned to even garner a nomination for Watts, let alone a win, but we shall see. The Blanchett film seems like another one of those nice little British films that wins a nomination for Judi Dench but no one else. All of this leaves the door wide open for Beyonce to walk through, but again, as I said, it's early and anything can happen. I'm just not too optimistic about the best actress race which looks to me like another dull one.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Damien wrote:In addition, Liz Smith has already been pushing Meryl Streep for The Devil Wore Prada.
From the TV ads I've seen, which might not give the full picture, Streep's performance appears to be far from Oscar worthy.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:I'm hoping that we have a real competition this year for Actress (last year's race was probably the most boring ever). I wouldn't mind seeing Beyoncé in the mix, but I'm hopeful for Kate Winslet (either Little Children or The Holiday), Naomi Watts (The Painted Veil), Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal), and/or Anna Paquin (Margaret); I had hopes for a Michelle Pfeiffer comeback, but the move to September for I Could Never Be Your Woman leaves me wondering about its quality

In addition, Liz Smith has already been pushing Meryl Streep for The Devil Wore Prada.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm hoping that we have a real competition this year for Actress (last year's race was probably the most boring ever). I wouldn't mind seeing Beyoncé in the mix, but I'm hopeful for Kate Winslet (either Little Children or The Holiday), Naomi Watts (The Painted Veil), Cate Blanchett (Notes on a Scandal), and/or Anna Paquin (Margaret); I had hopes for a Michelle Pfeiffer comeback, but the move to September for I Could Never Be Your Woman leaves me wondering about its quality; and I suspect Sony to push Running with Scissors' Annette Bening for Lead, even though she's Supporting in the book--although this could be an opening for Jill Clayburgh or Evan Rachel Wood to get a Supporting nod for the same film.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I originally scoffed at the idea of Beyonce even being cast in Dreamgirls, but she can put over a song and in musicals that's the main thing. If she can also act between the songs, that's a plus in a weak year.

What's the alternative? Another Oscar for Nicole Kidman? I'm not saying she should win, just that there's a good chance she will. Of course every year brings its suprises. I have high hopes for Kate Winslet in Todd Field's Little Children and Anne Hathaway as Jane Austen in Becoming Jane, but there is no buzz yet on these performances, so we'll have to wait and see. Of course predicting wins, or even nominees, this early in the year is fool-hardy at best, but every now and then I have vibes about certain films. I'm not psychic so I don't quite know what it is, maybe just a hightenend perception.

In early 1997 I predicted Titanic would become the biggest moneymaker of all time and take home a barrell full of Oscars more than a year before it actually did. In 1998 I had a feeling Gods and Monsters would win a Best Picture award from a major awards group. I was thinking the New York Film Cirtics, but it turned out to be the New York based National Board of Review. Two years ago I predicted major wins for Sideways before it had actually come out, which everyone here scoffed at. When Million Dollar Baby moved up its release date, I continued to say that Sideways would win its share of critics' awards but that MDB would win the Oscar, again to gales of laughter here. So, although I haven't an actual crystal ball, I do see big rewards ahead for Dreamgirls and Flags of Our Fathers pretty much for the reasons I've already stated.

Flags of Our Fathers is likely to be both the last film about World War II directed by someone who was alive during the war and the last film about the war to be produced while there are still a number of participants in that war who are still with us. Will it be one of Eastwood's major triumphs or one of his mis-fires? Only time will tell, but the man and his screenwriter are both on rolls.

As for The Departed, I don't know. The original Hong Kong film, Infernal Affairs, was great but a bit violent for AMPAS' usual taste. The Academy likes to mix it up. Rewarding two violent films in succession would be rare but not unprecdeneted. Patton, The French Connection and The Godfather all won in quick succession in the early 70s.

If The Departed wins criticcal huzzahs, Scorsese will be a threat for the director's prize, but I just don't see the film winning Best Picture over either Flags of Our Fathers or Dreamgirls. But then it's only mid-June.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1150475574
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Beyonce is really terrific in Dreamgirls, I had been skeptical about her acting chops, but she delivers big time. (Then again, few directors are as good with actors as Bill Condon, who guided Brendan Fraser, Liam Neeson, Lynn Redgrave to career best performances from Brandan Fraser.)

Beyonce's role doesn't have quite the same dramatic highpoints as Hudson's and Murray's, so her Oscar chances depend on how the competition this year stacks up. Id Dreamgirls had been released last year, Beyonce defintely would have been one of the five Best Actress nominees.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Comparing Cher and Beyonce isn't quite a good comparison. Cher actually had acting chops and had starred in other highly respected dramas prior to her win for Moonstruck (Silkwood and Mask). Beyonce has Pink Panther...yikes. I don't see her getting a nomination unless she's jaw-droppingly good.

I'm working on my first hopefuls list of the year. I know it's not very good but it'll suffice until something better comes along...should be up later today.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “2000 - 2007”