cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Now that was wonderful!
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hahaha! This is fun.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Sonic Youth wrote:To be fair, I could see this history of black pop working onstage, as a sort of cabaret. But unless the movie intends to go all out camp, I need a little more nutrition.
I so wished Bill Condon had pushed for a campy version of Dreamgirls. It definitely would've made some of the really mediocre tunes more fun (like Step into the Bad Side and especially And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going).

As it is, the movie takes itself way too seriously (yeah, that's my assessment once I saw it on DVD - interestingly in the theaters, I was caught up with all the excitement and newness of it all, on a smaller screen, not so much).
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Leave me out of it. I don't want to start anything, especially not today.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I guess it is time for us Damienites to start pulling out our quotes from The Gospel According to Bona...we shall defend Dreamgirls until the anti-Christ appears!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Ooh, just wait till Italiano reads this...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Nope. Sorry. Wish I could say I did. But I didn't.

Caught it on DVD over the weekend, and although starts out with considerable vibrancy, it ultimately adds up to "that's it?" Narratively, it pretty much sets up all the cultural milestones like ducks in a row, and glancingly aknowledges them before moving on to the next number, with no time for character introspection or broader societal implications. The first half is nothing but set-up, the second half one audience- (or AMPAS) clobbering scene after another. To be fair, I could see this history of black pop working onstage, as a sort of cabaret. But unless the movie intends to go all out camp, I need a little more nutrition.

The music is a big problem, as I thought it would be, but there are a couple of songs in the first half hour that at least sounds like credible Motown. But even there, the sound production is slick Broadway (Agh! Those overly-clean horn tuttis!), and while the numbers aren't exactly bad, and they're sung and performed with real flair, I'll take Holland-Dozier-Holland 999 times out of 1000.

I thought Beyonce was actually pretty interesting, the way she carried herself as an image rather than an actress. I've seen a live show of hers (on television), and she's as much a natural-born performer as anyone. She does come alive in the last twenty-five minutes as she realizes she's being used, and her performance of "Listen" is the best thing in the movie. I can only assume her blankness in the first half is by design, and how Deena is used as a visual cultural symbol is one of the few genuinely intriguing aspects of the film. It's far more successful, sadly, than poor Eddie Murphy, who is expected to play the embodiment of black music history in leiu of a character. He's expected to be all things, and ends up being very little. When he commits suicide, I didn't feel anything. Because... who was he?

And good ol' Ms. Hudson. I'd have said at the time, this could be the start of a fine career for Hudson if she plays her cards right. But I would never say this is a performance for the ages. "And I Am Telling You" leaves you breathless because it doesn't take a breath itself. It's difficult not to feel deeply affected by a roller-coaster, even if you don't like it. But Beyonce has the more appealing voice. Not to mention, the better song for her show-case moment.

I did love Hudson's Phoebe Snow wig, though.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Anon wrote:Oh, puh-lease! Mr. Gordy better be glad Dreamworks and Paramount are doing their best to "differentiate" between Dreamgirls and Motown.

I thought this was an interesting tidbit from imdb.com:

Mary Wilson, founding member of "The Supremes" and the basis of the Lorell Robinson character has gone on record as saying the events of this film are "closer to the truth" (that is, the actual story of "The Supremes") than anyone realizes.

This is kind of fun, too (Oh, Whitney, dear -- no.):

After the original stage production proved successful, the film version went through several incarnations. In the late 1980s Whitney Houston was considered for the role of Deena, but negotiations fell through when Houstion insisted that Deena sing some of Effie's songs, specifically, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going", as well.

Edited By flipp525 on 1174276083
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

Damien wrote:Mr Gordy said he was pleased with the advertisement.
"I applaud DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures for doing their part to clearly differentiate the fictional movie Dreamgirls from the real Motown," he said.

Oh, puh-lease! Mr. Gordy better be glad Dreamworks and Paramount are doing their best to "differentiate" between Dreamgirls and Motown.

When the real story of Motown is finally told, he's gonna wish that he could look as innocuous as the Curtis character (at least, that's how Curtis will look when compared to Berry Gordy)!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From BBC News:

DREAMGIRLS APOLOGISE TO MOTOWN

The makers of Oscar-nominated musical Dreamgirls have apologised to legendary record label Motown in an advert making clear the movie is a "work of fiction".

The full-page ads from film studio DreamWorks in movie trade papers The Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety said sorry for "any confusion" caused.

A Motown spokesman said the film upset several artists who felt the label was falsely depicted in a negative light.

Dreamgirls is widely seen as a loose version of the story of The Supremes.

The objections led to "amicable discussions" between representatives for Motown founder Berry Gordy Jr, DreamWorks and its parent studio Paramount Pictures.

"Dreamgirls is a work of fiction. It is also an homage to Motown," the advert reads.

"For any confusion that has resulted from our fictional work, we apologise to Mr Gordy and all of the incredible people who were part of that great legacy.

"It is vital that the public understand that the real Motown story has yet to be told."

Mr Gordy said he was pleased with the advertisement.
"I applaud DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures for doing their part to clearly differentiate the fictional movie Dreamgirls from the real Motown," he said.

"I wish them all the best in the forthcoming Academy Awards."

Motown singer Smokey Robinson had complained about scenes he said depicted a Gordy-type character, played by Jamie Foxx.

Robinson criticised scenes in which the character, Curtis Taylor Jr, was seen launching his fictional record label with money from mobsters and engaging in the illegal practice of "payola" - when music producers pay radio stations to play their records.

But the DreamWorks advertisement makes no reference to this and it is not made clear what the "confusion" mentioned relates to.

The film, based on the hit Broadway musical of the same name, is nominated for eight Oscars including best supporting actor for Eddie Murphy and best supporting actress for Jennifer Hudson.

The winners will be announced on Sunday.

Motown, which was one of the most influential record labels in the 1960s, is now part for the Universal Music Group.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Anon
Temp

Post by Anon »

When this story broke, I thougt Jennifer Holliday was going to be part of the Dreamgirls performance line-up, but now that it's just a performance on E!'s red carpet show, well...

why would she agree to be caricatured in such a tacky way?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's amazing first they dump the Rivers (thank goodness) but now they're back into stupidity...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

This just seems kinda, well, pathetic to me:

JENNIFER HOLLIDAY BRINGS DREAMGIRLS EXCLUSIVELY TO E! WITH A LIVE PERFORMANCE ON THE RED CARPET AT THE OSCARS

Original Effie Will Perform "And I Am Telling You, I'm Not Going" LIVE On E!'s "Countdown To The Red Carpet: The 2007 Academy Awards®" Show

Edited By flipp525 on 1171599864

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

bump

Edited By flipp525 on 1171579540

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I want to emphasize that even in spite of the observations that I did of the film, what is unquestionable is the talent of Bill Condon to whom I want to vindicate by its creative boldness in having shaped this musical comedy, genre that not always is valued as it must.

Return to “2000 - 2007”