Knocked Up - Could this be bigger than Borat?

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Awful. Simply awful. Kristen Wiig and Leslie Mann were the film's only saving graces. I just wanted it to end. Now.

"Inadvertantly complex", Sabin? Please. This movie is about as complex as a brown paper bag.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Count me in on those who were a bit disappointed with this film.

I do agree that the cast is great and made it watchable. Leslie Mann, in particular, was outstanding. That Spider-Man scene sold me into thinking that she deserves a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination.

To me, it's too crass and juvenile to be a sweet, gentle romantic comedy and not enough wacky and LOL moments to be a lowbrow laughfest.

The film tried to have it both ways but fell short in both. Judd Apatow is no Farrelly Brothers.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Far more annoying to me is him picking his fingernails. Tacky.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Seth Rogan has the most annoying laugh I've ever heard. Ugh.

Edited By flipp525 on 1193003343
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Weddung Crashers.
LOL.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Like, apparently, many here, I went into Knocked Up wary, because I'd found 40-Year Old Virgin unfathomably overrated. But I liked this alot better. I laughed pretty much throughout. BJ may be right there is no full-howl moment (though the Vegas hotel-room scene came close, for me), but there are plenty of giddy, funny moments along the way.

The critics have oversold it, in the sense that "very funny AND very human" makes one expect Tootsie or Groundhog DAy (or Four Weddings and a Funeral, or...). The movie doesn't have that kind of delicacy or class; it's every bit as much a slob comedy as Weddung Crashers.

However...it does shine something of a light on contemporary relationships (granting the contrivance of avoiding-abortion-at-all-costs to set up the plot). In a way, this film is the opposite of 40-Year Old Virgin, where the forcible exclusion of sex led to a relationship with a firm emotional foundation. Here, you have not just one but two pairings that ignited in the throes of full-hormone-sex, and became too serious too fast due to the fact of inadvertent conception. The easy way to look at the two couples is as opposites -- Rogen/Heigl as meant-to-be-together, Rudd/Mann as utter mismatches. But I don't think the film settles for that. Rogen/Heigl have all kinds of issues, and, though at fadeout things are chipper, I'm left thinking that won't last long (reminiscent of Mike Nichols' claim about The Graduate, that, a few blocks from the church, Elaine would start complaining she had no clothes). And while Rudd and Mann have some hellacious arguments, I think there are equal moments showing a bond between them. Both couples, in the end, reflect Heigl's expressed thought: they're nice people, but just because they are doesn't mean they work well together. I think whether either couple should stay together is an open question -- and that's a fairly heady issue for a standard Hollywood comedy.

I certainly have problems with the film -- starting with Rogen's post-coital breakfast conversation (which at my least functional I'd have known was not the way to talk to a woman; it's hard to believe she'd ever call such a man again, regardless of emergency), and extending into the cartoonish roommates (and the girlfriend with the Coke-bottle glasses). But I guess I overall apply the same lax standard many critics have: this is summertime; most movies are crud; if you find one that isn't, you point people to go see it.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I liked Knocked Up a lot more than I thought I would. I haven't seen either of Apatow's acclaimed TV series, but The 40-Year-Old Virgin wasn't too my liking at all. I thought that film squandered a winning cast with crude & unfunny humor, a tiresome running length, and practically nonexistent direction.

Knocked Up doesn't quite solve all the problems of its predecessor. As Penelope says, Apatow isn't much of a filmmaker at all, and his compositions range from boring at best to ugly at worst. And the film is still quite unnecessarily long -- what ever happened to the days of breezy, 90 minute comedies? Why are they all over two hours these days??

But the biggest thing in this film's corner? It's a riot. On the laugh-o-meter, I didn't think the film had any BIG laughs (certainly not any on par with Borat's wrestling scene or Sideways's wallet rescue sequence), but it's consistently very funny throughout. Yes, some of the humor is crude -- and I'll admit that more than one joke does clunk -- but I think the film's surprising sweetness makes it a little more palatable. I seem to have a very different response than Penelope in this department: I exited the theater refreshed to see a mainstream comedy that was funny without being so mean-spirited. Heck, deep down I thought Knocked Up featured a pretty poignant story about two very good people (who just happen to be SO wrong for each other) simply trying to make their impossible circumstances work. It's as humane a mainstream comedy as I've seen in years, and if that's not a tremendous accomplishment, at least it's a minor triumph.

I don't want to oversell the film -- it's hardly a transcendent cinematic experience. But after the snoozes that were Spider-Man, Shrek, and Pirates of the Caribbean, it's nice to see a summer entertainment that actually entertains. I think deserved Comedy Globe nods for Picture, Actor, and Actress are in the works, and Sonic may be right about that Oscar Screenplay nod after all...
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

In Leonard Maltin's movie review book, his review of West Side Story states that (and I'm paraphrasing, since I no longer have a copy) that Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer have no charisma, but everything surrounding them is spectacular. In Knocked Up, the equation is reversed: Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl have charisma to spare--and Heigl, in particular, is a delight with her priceless reactions--but everything surrounding them is repulsively crass--a more unpleasant group of people to be surrounded by for 2 hours I simply can't imagine.

Knocked Up is certainly more amusing than The 40 Year-Old Virgin, but it's not the comedy masterpiece some people are inexplicably claiming--indeed, it's well on it's way to being the year's most overrated flick. Come on, Judd Apatow is not a very good filmmaker: cinematically, it looks like some dreadful early 80s flop, and he lacks a tight grip on the rhythm of a good joke--a terrific set-up often leads to a painful groan (it doesn't help that the movie goes on far too long). And, ultimately, the film is frustratingly schizoid: a movie that pretends to celebrate life and love, and then piles on one cruel, mean-spirited joke after another. I left the theater not disgusted, but, rather, scummy, as if I needed a shower to wash away all that bitchiness.

Finally, Knocked Up has to be one of the least original or daring films of the year--it's actually a very conventional film--storywise, we've seen this many times before (another Natalie Wood film, Love With the Proper Stranger, immediately leaps to mind); and I can honestly say that I laughed louder, longer and often more tearfully during Blades Of Glory, a film of considerably more edginess and originality than any moment of Knocked Up.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In addition to the brilliance of Steve Carell's performance, 'The 40 Year Old Virgin' derives most of its humor from the improvisational jokiness from scene to scene, a kind of randomness that's entertaining but a little scattershot. It's a damn funny movie I've seen maybe three times but I always struggle with the ending. Does that guy NEED to get married? Shouldn't he be out trowling for poon a little before he settles down with the hot grandma for the rest of his life? It always felt a little compromised to me.

'Knocked Up' has far fewer compromises and ends up being almost inadvertantly complex. We get the ending we expect but really nothing else. Nothing is terribly tidied up, and until then it actually explores some heretofore unseen territory in mainstream comedies. A scene of pregnant sex is pretty astonishing, despite Heigl's insistance on wearing a bra (I mean, come on now!). And while Rogen and Heigl's relationship must be idealized to some degree (this is a summer comedy after all), it really is only to a very small degree. He can't wait to spend his life with this knock out. She's never more than completely uncertain.

Also, the supporting cast is absolutely fantastic. Ben's stoner friends are completely believeable and their stoner antics are far superior to any of the sidekicks in '40 Year Old Virgin'. It helps that the ensemble Apatow has assembled feels like a Best Of collection of his earlier work. Martin Starr and Jason Segel of 'Freaks and Geeks', Jay Baruchel of 'Undeclared', and Jonah Hill of the to be released Apatow production 'Superbad' as well as his one dynamite scene in '40 Year Old Virgin' are all Apatow all-stars put to perfect use. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann have an outstanding anti-chemistry, careening into casual hatefulness and contempt at the drop of a hat. This is the funniest Paul Rudd has been since 'Wet Hot American Summer' -- I don't think he's ever going to be as brilliant in a movie as he could be. And Leslie Mann walks a fine line of brilliant caricature.

Seth Rogen is note perfect. I've been a fan of his since 'Freaks and Geeks' and his incredibly touching episode where this dumpy stoner is almost afraid to admit that he has a crush on a tuba player, and he lives up to his promise as well as I could expect. Note. Perfect. And Katherine Heigl, with whom I am not familiar as I have plenty of other things to do than watch 'Grey's Anatomy', brings unexpected depth and life to a rather thinly written and conceived role.

This is a fantastic ensemble and they work wonderfully, down to the walk-ons and the babies. 'Knocked Up' worked for me better than I thought it would. The progression of comedic set pieces is consistently inspired. I really enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would.
"How's the despair?"
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

You honestly thought it was THAT funny? I thought 40-Year-Old Virgin was funnier, but I like Knocked Up more.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This is probably the funniest movie I've seen this decade. Not the best comedy. 'High Fidelity' and 'The Royal Tenenbaums' are better movies. But 'Knocked Up' is probably the singest funniest movie I've seen this decade. If there was a minute that went by where I didn't laugh, I don't know what to tell you. Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl, and Leslie Mann all deserve Oscar nominations. That the film stumbles upon some genuinely engaging trappings of contemporary relationships feels both incidental and gratifying. More to comre...
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Almost here.

(And give me credit. I sensed this coming long before the media deluge.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

VanHelsing wrote:I saw the trailer for this one and seriously, it did nothing for me. I didn't find it funny at all and I just cannot believe that someone as beautiful (and arrogant-looking) as Katherin Heigl would sleep with the uber hunky (OF COURSE NOT!) Seth Rogen even when she's drunk. The scenario is just too far-fetched to me. Not looking forward to this.

Actually, I think Seth Rogen is adorable: his eyes are meltingly beautiful; he's the ultimate cub.

VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I saw the trailer for this one and seriously, it did nothing for me. I didn't find it funny at all and I just cannot believe that someone as beautiful (and arrogant-looking) as Katherin Heigl would sleep with the uber hunky (OF COURSE NOT!) Seth Rogen even when she's drunk. The scenario is just too far-fetched to me. Not looking forward to this.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'm really bummed that I missed this! I could've gone to the screening at SXSW, but I got the flu and ended up missing the entire festival! :angry:
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2000 - 2007”