Charlie Wilson's War

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

it definitely does not look like something critics will recognize at the end of the year, but the academy might like it. it seems very middle of the road, as in competently made but not artistically interesting.
the trailer somehow reminded me of LORD OF WAR. a film that wants to be about something important but is not willing to challenge its audience.
best picture nomination seems possible, with director, screenplay, lead actor, supporting actor, and editing. wins however seem unlikely, unless the trailer is hidding the films brilliancy.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

No, it does not. I can't imagine it going over well at all, both critically (Tom Hanks is back in 'Road to Perdition'/evil decency-mode) or commercially. They can sell it as subversive as much as they want, but it looks vanilla as hell. Philip Seymour Hoffman looks pretty good though.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The trailer is up on Yahoo Movies. It doesn't strike me as particulary interesting with (surprise!) Julia Roberts the only one of the actors standing out with her bigger than life Ann Richards style delivery.

Return to “2000 - 2007”