Redacted

Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

It's true. Iraq is, in reality of course, like a Toby Keith video. Soldiers don't commit horrific wrongs. Women who are raped by soldiers, or forced into prostitution with them as their clients, are obviously lying whores. Soldiers never rape, they just give candy. Families of civilians who are shot are clearly just insurgents with sour grapes. The front lines of combat are overflowing with level-headed, decent American human beings who respond splendidly to the stress and trauma of war (as well as the sense of power and privilege that comes with dealing with patrolling with guns against refugees and powerless civilians whose language you don't speak and culture you don't know). Yes. That is the real reality. Which Criddic knows.

Also Bin Laden's video shows he's "scared" of us. Of course if he never released a video we'd say he's too "scared" to make one, as well. But because he's "scared" it means we're winning. They would both prove he's scared, see. But the video also means he's dangerous, there is Terror lurking around the corner!

Yes. Yes. It's true.

Why don't they make more realistic movies like that one documentary, We Were Soldiers? Though of course I, too, will "reserve final judgment" until I see De Palma's film. Just like I made a considered judgment about Bin Laden's video, just like I make a considered judgment about the reasons why the US is at war, etc.

Jesus Christ. Guys, I know it's pointless, I don't know why I'm responding. But the utter, monstrous idiocy is so provocative, and I take the bait.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sabin wrote:I had to transcribe this from Richard Roeper's video blog...

"It's a very tough film to watch, and I think this is the one that quite frankly I think a lot of people are going to say enough with the Hollywood anti-American stance on the war. It depicts a lot of American soldiers as some of the worst scum imaginable. In other films like 'Home of the Brave' and 'In the Valley of Elah', we're seeing a lot of big Hollywood movies that deal with the war effort. A little bit different because in the seventies, we didn't get the Vietnam films until after the war is over....It would be a good thing at some point to see a movie that was a little more sympathetic to our soldiers."
I don't usually like Mr. Roeper, but that was a very good statement to make. I have heard some of the things that this movie is supposed to include, and frankly it sounds way out of proportion to reality, but I will reserve final judgement until I see it (if it plays in my area).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

rolotomasi99 wrote:however, i never felt like he had a signature style or unique vision, like scorsese or coppola.

I've never quite worshipped at the altar of De Palma, but I feel like De Palma's style is the exact opposite: all his own (at least compared to most directors today.)

True, he's had his misfires (I couldn't take much of Snake Eyes or Mission to Mars), but his films are such visual and aural pleasures (even his duds have plenty of dazzling sequences) I have nothing but admiration for his command of his craft. Plus, his pictures never lack for ambition: of his recent efforts, Femme Fatale and The Black Dahlia certainly have their flaws, but both films take such gonzo concepts to the ends of the earth I have to admire De Palma's gusto even as I wish some of his films had better scripts.

He is certainly an original, and of course nothing remotely approaching a studio hack. I'd never expect consistency from his projects, but I always look forward to his films.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

sorry to jump to conclusions.
your devotion to de palma has piqued my interest. while i certainly found movies like CARRIE and THE UNTOUCHABLES to be very entertaining, i always wrote de palma off as a studio hack who made genre pictures. he seemed to have an uncanny ability to perfectly find the style necessary for each film, whether it was a thriller (DRESSED TO KILL), sci-fi (MISSION TO MARS), action (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE), etc. however, i never felt like he had a signature style or unique vision, like scorsese or coppola.
some would say this is a good things, keeping his films fresh and interesting. i always just wrote it off as him copying the style of other directors (hitchcock, kubrick, polanski, etc.) and not being talented enough to find one of his own. recently, though, i have read several pieces, including your own on this board, praising de palma.
i feel like i need to take a second look. which films of his do you consider the best, which ones will help me to understand his genius? just so there is no confusion, i am not being sarcastic. i truly want to know which films i should see to counter act the ones (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, SNAKE EYES, MISSION TO MARS, THE BLACK DAHLIA, DRESSED TO KILL) i found just awful. i would love to hear your recommendations. thanks.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

That was actually not at all directed at you (hence the deleted portion of that sentence) but simply at it being the type of De Palma movie that (like The Untouchables) most appeals to people who don't like De Palma movies. Which might not end up being the case with Redacted, but does seem that way at first blush.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:even someone ambivalent to de palma ... is curious about this one.

That might have something to do with it.

ooooohhhhhh...someone's still bitter ???

so, then does that mean you are eagerly anticipating the upcoming THE UNTOUCHABLES: CAPONE RISING? i am dreading that movie. i think THE UNTOUCHABLES is one of de palma's best films, a classy action film made during the RAMBO era of action excess. will this film have as much restraint as the original, or will de palma give in to ridiculous stunts and preening stars like he did with MISSION IMPOSSIBLE? unfortunately, i am expecting the latter.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

rolotomasi99 wrote:even someone ambivalent to de palma ... is curious about this one.
That might have something to do with it.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:Can't say I'm anticipating this as much as I normally would the newest BDP film, but I hold out hope that the buzz portends something fierce.

i am shocked! i would think you of all people would be looking forward to this movie. you castrated me when i suggested de palma was not as talented as spielberg, coppola, and scorsese. how can you not be excited about REDACTED?
that would be like me not looking forward to p.t. anderson's THERE WILL BE BLOOD (which, after seeing the newest trailer, i can barely contain myself waiting for).
heck, even someone ambivalent to de palma like me is curious about this one.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Further proof that Roeper's an idiot.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I had to transcribe this from Richard Roeper's video blog...

"It's a very tough film to watch, and I think this is the one that quite frankly I think a lot of people are going to say enough with the Hollywood anti-American stance on the war. It depicts a lot of American soldiers as some of the worst scum imaginable. In other films like 'Home of the Brave' and 'In the Valley of Elah', we're seeing a lot of big Hollywood movies that deal with the war effort. A little bit different because in the seventies, we didn't get the Vietnam films until after the war is over....It would be a good thing at some point to see a movie that was a little more sympathetic to our soldiers."
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

My hunch is that the wingnut fervor over De Palma's latest (as evidenced in the amount of abuse his IMDB message board is taking right now) will require a thread for this one sooner or later.

Can't say I'm anticipating this as much as I normally would the newest BDP film, but I hold out hope that the buzz portends something fierce.

Return to “2000 - 2007”