Sunshine

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okri wrote:I pretty much loved it, flaws and all.

Me too, actually. I have a hit or miss relationship with Danny Boyle: loved Shallow Grave, tolerated Trainspotting, hated Millions, didn't even bother to see 28 Days Later.

Yes, Sunshine has some serious flaws--I didn't think the characters were mentally retarded, but the movie contained an overabundance of convenient "inconveniences," and, yes, that final third of the film contains a development that is pretty dire.

Nevertheless, I sat rapt throughout the film--the visuals here are astonishing, with one breathtaking composition after another--sooo deserving of an Oscar nomination, but I bet it won't happen. And the music is exquisite, which is why I'm shocked that the score is not available on CD. What the hell?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Hmmm... I think I liked this movie better WHEN IT WAS CALLED "ALIEN"!!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

I was completely immersed in the film until the last third turned into Event Horizon. The sound design was beautiful and the cinematography was breathtaking. My favorite moment was still on the Observation deck as the crew get their first view of Mercury orbiting the Sun. Amazing.

Too bad the film didn't live up to my expectations.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I pretty much loved it, flaws and all.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This movie is a fucking disaster. Oh my God. If 'Sunshine' isn't the single most disappointing screenplay of the year...oh wait. Fuck! The new Paul Haggis movie isn't out yet. Never mind.

How insulting it is that the filmmakers thought we would be interested in seeing such a brilliant premise devolve into roundabout narrative necessity, cheap thrills, and a [EDITED FOR SPOILERS]! I was fairly disgusted by the second half. And it would be so easy to restructure the entire film into the Tarkovsky-ian half-breed it so longs to be.

I will say that 'Sunshine' features the best cinematography I've seen this year and the best I'm likely to see. There is an overwhelming spiratuality to these images, and sadly there isn't a single shot I wouldn't like to see at least twice as long. This film is Kubrick edited by Guy Ritchie. I literally had no idea what was happening in the last third, nor did I care. I was too frustrated that they thought I would be interested in the twist at all. But there are images in this film that will stay with me until the end of the year. This is a director's cut I long to see, though I still might turn it off a half hour before the end.

Also, I find it very hard to believe that the last hope for Earth would rest on the shoulders of A) largely a bunch of twentysomethings, and B) the mentallly retarded. Seriously, there are decisions made in this movie that are beyond belief.

Some glorious imagery though.

Edited By Sabin on 1186950308
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

You´re talking about the new film directed by Danny Boyle. I was expecting something like 28 days. Unfortunately It has nothing to do with his previous films.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:So this is different from the 1999 Ralph Fiennes, William Hurt, Jennifer Ehle film?
Right. We don't get a Ralph Fiennes butt shot in this one.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

So this is different from the 1999 Ralph Fiennes, William Hurt, Jennifer Ehle film?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The film starts off well enough but tries to stuff too much into it's rather thin narrative, the end result being rather confusing.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Check out what I thought of the preview on my website...if it's good, it will be quite the surprise for me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've already seen it. It's no 28 Days Later... but it's pretty good. My review is in the Official Review Thread.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'm really intrigued about about Sunshine, a sci-fi movie from the makers of Trainspotting set to be released this summer. Here's the official site:

http://www.sunshinedna.com/

Return to “2000 - 2007”