Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Ratatouille' and 'Knocked Up' will be the darlings of the summer, hands down.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think this and Ratatouille (possibly The Simpsons Movie) will be the best reviewed films of the summer.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

kooyah wrote:Imelda Staunton is genius casting for Dolores Umbridge.
Amen. I've never read a page of Potter, but as soon as I saw Staunton in that trailer, I got kinda excited. She looks like a hoot and a half.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Order of the Phoenix is a good book (better, I think that Half-Blood Prince), but it's no Chamber of Secrets or Prisoner of Azkaban.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

I hated Order of the Phoenix as a book, but I'll be damned if I don't say that this trailer makes the film look like it'll be great fun. Imelda Staunton is genius casting for Dolores Umbridge.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

...Sigh...the second trailer for 'Harry Potter' looks cool...I fucking hate that I might actually go see it now...
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The U.S. trailer.

Holy crap! It's even better than the international trailer.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm sure they just had to make the right offer.

DANIEL RADCLIFFE, RUPERT GRINT AND EMMA WATSON
TO REPRISE ROLES IN THE FINAL TWO INSTALLMENTS
OF WARNER BROS. PICTURES’ “HARRY POTTER” FILM FRANCHISE

BURBANK, CA, March 23, 2007 – Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson will reprise the roles they have made their own: teen wizards Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, respectively, in Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” the final two motion picture adaptations of J.K. Rowling’s best-selling book series. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

In making the announcement, Robinov said, “When Daniel, Rupert and Emma were first cast as Harry, Ron and Hermione, we knew they were not only talented, but had a very special chemistry. Through the years, and in each of the ‘Harry Potter’ films, we have watched them grow into extraordinary young adults, as well as remarkable actors. It would be inconceivable to imagine anyone else in the roles with which they have become so identified, so we are thrilled and proud that Daniel, Rupert and Emma have chosen to complete the arc of their characters in the final two films.”

Both “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” are being produced by David Heyman, who has produced all of the Harry Potter films to date and was instrumental in bringing the franchise to the screen, beginning with the first blockbuster, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” David Barron, who served as an executive producer on “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” and “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” and is a producer on the upcoming “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” will also be producing the final two installments of the franchise.

Producer David Heyman said, “One of the highlights of this journey has been to witness Dan, Rupert and Emma blossom from children into young adults. They have emerged as consummate professionals who are dedicated to honing their craft and striving for excellence. And yet, throughout, they have retained their enthusiasm and spirit, and they remain, to this day, the same wonderful, kind and generous individuals I met all those years ago.”

Daniel Radcliffe remarked, “Playing the role of Harry Potter has been an immense privilege, and I look forward to completing the series. I feel a huge sense of loyalty to the character of Harry and the fans who have supported these films over the years. During filming, I have learnt so much, made lots of friends and met people who have changed my life. I am indebted to J K Rowling, Warner Bros. and David Heyman for giving me this fantastic opportunity.”

Emma Watson stated, “I could never let Hermione go—she is my hero! I love her too much and love what playing her has meant to me. I am excited and honored to be finishing what I started and playing her in all seven of the films.”

Rupert Grint offered, “Ron Weasley has become a big part of my life and not just because we’ve both got ginger hair! I’ve been so proud to play him and loved every second of being part of this world. I’m really looking forward to filming the last two films and being back with my ‘Weasley family’ and, of course, to seeing my good friends Emma and Dan. Thank you to everyone for being so supportive over the years; we couldn’t have done it without you.”

Warner Bros. Pictures’ fifth film in the series, “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” is slated for release in the U.S. on July 13, 2007.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Hermione, We Hardly Knew Ye

By ANNE-MARIE DORNING

The entertainment blogosphere is buzzing with reports that Emma Watson, the actress who plays the role of Hermione in the wildly popular "Harry Potter" movies, may not sign up for the next movie.

The reports have prompted a flood of reaction on "Harry Potter" fan sites, mostly of the "OMG" and "!!!!!!!" variety. Warner Bros., the studio that makes the movies, tried to dampen speculation by putting out a statement: "We're extremely confident that Emma will be back for films six and seven."

But, with five "Harry Potter" films already under her belt at the tender age of 16, Watson has begun to express some dissatisfaction with her role. She has complained about "not wanting to be known as the 'Harry Potter girl' forever."

Watson was just 10 years old when she was cast as Hermione.

"She was a completely inexperienced actress. She had never done anything in particular. … We tested all of our finalists and when her test came on, someone said, 'Can we put her under contract until she's 40?'" said Janet Hirshenson, a casting director who, along with her partner, Jane Jenkins, runs the Casting Company in Los Angeles.

In addition to casting "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," Hirshenson and Jenkins have cast "The Da Vinci Code" and "A Beautiful Mind" among other films.

It might seem peculiar that any actor would be willing to walk away from millions just to avoid being typecast. But Jason Alexander could probably tell you a thing or two about it. Alexander is so closely associated with his character, George Costanza, from the television series "Seinfeld," that he has been unable to find much success in the nine years since the series ended.

Actors Get Itchy

Perhaps that's why it almost seems inevitable. An actress becomes a big star playing, let's say, romantic comedies. And then America's Sweetheart takes a turn playing a down-and-out drug addict.

Typecasting is a double-edged sword, explains Jenkins.

"You can become enormously successful but it's very limiting creatively. Carroll O'Connor was an enormously talented stage actor but he was known for ['All in the Family's'] Archie Bunker. He finally got away from it when he did "In the Heat of the Night," but it took him years."

The list of actors who have fought the velvet grip of typecasting is long. Think Meg Ryan, Jennifer Aniston and Sylvester Stallone.

"Sometimes actors get a little too itchy. They want to play from A to Z and maybe they can only do A to L. Of course, they're in real trouble if they can only play from A to B," Hirshenson said.

Jim Carrey has tried to put roles in comedies like "Dumb and Dumber" behind him., but his turns in more dramatic fare such as "Man on the Moon," and his latest, "The Number 23," haven't been very successful.

"He won't be commanding $20 million for his next picture unless it's a broad comedy, maybe 'Mask 4,'" said Lisa Beach, a veteran casting director. Beach has cast roles in "Walk the Line," "Wedding Crashers" and "Election."

Beach believes Watson's co-star Daniel Radcliffe, who plays Harry, made a smart move by starring in the play, "Equus," where he took a turn in the nude.

"The next thing Daniel Radcliffe should do is take a year off and then take a part in a small independent film playing a serial killer or a pedophile," Beach said.

Holy Hogwarts.

Better to Be Known Then Not

Even though actors don't like it, being typecast may not be a net negative, according to professor Ezra Zuckerman of MIT's Sloan School of Management.

Zuckerman studied the film industry in 2003 and 2005 and found that, in fact, typecasting had some real advantages. "Typecasting is actually a blessing. It gets you something."

In other words, typecasting is better than no casting.

Zuckerman's data show that most actors — about 70 percent — who actually get a film credit won't get another substantial role over the following three years.

The study said, in part: "Typecasting provides a route into the industry by conferring the minimum level of recognition necessary to continue to obtain work, even if this recognition involves the adoption of a generic identity."

Beach agrees. "Certainly in sitcoms, when you're casting a half-hour comedy, if an actor has done a guest star on 15 different sitcoms you know they're going to deliver for you. They're going to give you what you want. That's the one you pick."

Overall, though, film industry veterans believe actors should be most concerned about one thing. "The acting game is so precarious that getting a job is the main thing," Hirshenson said.

That's why Beach offered up some advice for Hermione. "I think Emma Watson should be signing on that dotted line tomorrow."

That serial killer part can wait.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:
Damien wrote:
Akash wrote: Don't get me started . . .

(I've actually never sat through one of these hideous things, but my beloved has them on frequently enough on cable and DVD that I feel fully exposed. A feast for pinheads.)

lol, was this something you didn't know about him when you got together? :D
Well our relationship pre-dates Master Potter. But if I knew then . . .

:D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

anonymous wrote: Hey, at least we're a little less irritating than Star Wars fans.

Well now THERE'S a battle royale!
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:
Akash wrote: Don't get me started . . .

(I've actually never sat through one of these hideous things, but my beloved has them on frequently enough on cable and DVD that I feel fully exposed. A feast for pinheads.)
lol, was this something you didn't know about him when you got together? :D
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I always thought the second book is weakest of the series. The first book did a great job of establishing the world. I would say I was officially a fan by Chapter 5. LOL.

The third is probably the strongest both in terms of the book and the movie. The crazy plot twists and character development in the third book are both amazing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I love the Harry Potter series. The first book is weak but I love the second, it's my favorite because of its ability to link every aspect to some other event. Nothing in the book is immaterial to the plot.

I didn't care a lot for the third book, but I liked the fourth and the sixth and didn't care much for the fifth (so it's following the Star Trek quality line, it seems).

The movies, however hold a different pattern. The first two (the Columbus films) aren't as good as the second two.

Sue me but I love Harry Potter. Though, for an intellectual bang, the Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events books are much more intriguing and fun.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “2000 - 2007”