Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

A close friend of mine is a total Potterhead--has read the books several times, watches the movies over and over, talks about it all the time. She's 30 years old! I've never been into fantasy (y'all know my dislike of the LOTR films), but to each his own, I suppose. Not for me.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

So, um does anyone else here dislike these films as much as I do? I apologize to the Potterheads but the only thing worse than those dreadfully written books, are those dreadfully conceived movies.

I read the first two books: found them boring and their success utterly confounding. I saw the first two movies and had pretty much the same opinion. I enjoy the third somewhat - it's less than the sum of it's parts, but that has to do with the Potter story more than anything cinematic (and it contains at least two great scenes); the fourth one was disappointing even though it attempted grandness.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Not to mention the Trekkies. I agree the first two were pretty crap, but the most recent two were great. Now desist before I pull a sectumsempra on you. I can't wait until Harry finds the Horcruxes!!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Akash wrote:So, um does anyone else here dislike these films as much as I do? I apologize to the Potterheads but the only thing worse than those dreadfully written books, are those dreadfully conceived movies.

:angry:

Snob. But the first two movies were crap, I agree.

Damien: I'm an out and proud pinhead! :)

Hey, at least we're a little less irritating than Star Wars fans.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:So, um does anyone else here dislike these films as much as I do? I apologize to the Potterheads but the only thing worse than those dreadfully written books, are those dreadfully conceived movies.
Don't get me started . . .

(I've actually never sat through one of these hideous things, but my beloved has them on frequently enough on cable and DVD that I feel fully exposed. A feast for pinheads.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

So, um does anyone else here dislike these films as much as I do? I apologize to the Potterheads but the only thing worse than those dreadfully written books, are those dreadfully conceived movies.

The first two films are seriously among the 7 or 8 worst things I've ever seen in my life. And I'm including the R Kelly sex tape.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

This looks really good, it can't come soon enough. I wonder if it will debut in the $88M-$102M range like the first four have?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Return to “2000 - 2007”