The Hours parody trailer

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Damien wrote:Whenever I want to cry, I always go with Waterloo Bridge :) .

I've never seen it, Damien, but I'll put it on my Netflix queue. Terms of Endearment, Ghost, The Hours, and The Shop on Main Street are guaranteed tears for me.

The version of Waterloo Bridge available on DVD is the 1931 James Whale original starring Mae Clark and Douglass Montgomery and not, sadly, the marvelous 1940 Mervyn LeRoy remake with Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor. Still, the Whale version is a wonderful film, with terrific performances and a much grittier milieu (and it's more faithful to the Robert E. Sherwood play).
The 1940 version of Waterloo Bridge is available as an import that will play on region 1 DVD players. Amazon.com retailers sell it for as low as $7.98.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Got the DVD. Turned it off. Went to bed.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

And for the record, I'm one of the few on this board who actually like this film.
I also liked it very much.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Thanks guys for the clarification. I guess I am officially clueless now.

Wow, there really are not a lot of straight characters in that film. Claire Danes and John C. Reilly?

Edited By flipp525 on 1180400083
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Damien wrote:My memory may be faulty (it's been 8 years since I read the novel), but I believe in the book it's fairly clear that Moore's character is a lesbian.
I read the novel 4 years ago, and I also thought it was pretty clear that Laura Brown was a lesbian.

Could this possibly be the only element of the story that's more explicit in the novel than in the film? :p
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:

I've never seen it, Damien, but I'll put it on my Netflix queue. Terms of Endearment, Ghost, The Hours, and The Shop on Main Street are guaranteed tears for me.
The version of Waterloo Bridge available on DVD is the 1931 James Whale original starring Mae Clark and Douglass Montgomery and not, sadly, the marvelous 1940 Mervyn LeRoy remake with Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor. Still, the Whale version is a wonderful film, with terrific performances and a much grittier milieu (and it's more faithful to the Robert E. Sherwood play).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

My memory may be faulty (it's been 8 years since I read the novel), but I believe in the book it's fairly clear that Moore's character is a lesbian.

Whenever I want to cry, I always go with Waterloo Bridge :) .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I was re-watching The Hours this weekend (I needed something that would make me cry) and I have a question about Julianne Moore's character. It struck me this time around (and, mind you, it's been almost 9 years since I read the novel) that she might've been a lesbian. Before I just thought she was a generally unhappy 1950's housewife but I couldn't figure out why. That kiss with Toni Collette and how worried she seemed to be right afterwards got me thinking that maybe that was the real reason she wanted to kill herself. "There are times you don't belong and you think you're going to kill yourself," she says at one point. Am I way off-base here? What else are we supposed to think her motivation was for running off to Canada and leaving her family?

There also seemed to be a hint of envy when she told Meryl Streep, after learning that Clarissa had been an artificially inseminated lesbian, that Meryl was a "lucky woman".

And for the record, I'm one of the few on this board who actually like this film.

Edited By flipp525 on 1180384702

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I could have done without the Traci Lords bit, but otherwise I thought it was hilarious and I liked the movie even though I could understand why others didn't. Despite Ed Harris' usual overacting I thought it was one of his best performances, but I'll never be able to watch him go out the window again without thinking of the parody. I can just see myself cracking up in a room full of people who've never seen the film or the parody and are either gasping or crying their hearts out.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I couldn't stand The Hours, but that parody was just stupid. Traci Lords? oh the wit is worthy of Noel Coward. Nay, it's positively Shavian

There's nothing more embarrassing then a supposed parody that's not funny or clever. It ends up being worse than the object of ridicule, and is just rather sad. Because you know the clowns behind it are bursting their britches with misplaced pride.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I peed myself. Best. Thing. Ever.

And it reminded me again how much I hated this film. I had forgotten with time, but egads, this pretentious piece of crap is even worse than the Picture nominations for Crash and Babel!
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Oh my god, that's hysterical.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Dead-fucking-on.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “2000 - 2007”