Black Book

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I loved it, too. I particularly liked how the movie indicated that authoritarianism and prejudice could come from anywhere, and how there were so many moral shadings to all of the characters. Could've been a bit tighter but, as you say, quite 'fun.'
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Has anybody seen Black Book?

I saw it last weekend and enjoyed the film immensely. It's vintage Voeheven: fast moving with plenty of sex and violence. Gapping plot holes abound but it's so much 'fun' it didn't bother me.

It's set in the closing days of the Nazi occupation of The Netherlands. One of the relevant aspects in the film for todays audience was that the Nazi's referred to the members of the resistance as 'terrorists'. Sounds familiar doesn't it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “2000 - 2007”