The Pursuit of Happyness

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm ambivalent about this one.

On one hand, it's an ode to greed, on the other it's a fairly decent time capsule - the Rubick's cube and all that. There isn't a strong payoff, you know what's coming, but Smith's underplaying of the climactic scene is a nice touch.

I thought he did a competent job - I have no problem with his Oscar nomination. Once you get past Whitaker, O'Toole and Gosling, there wasn't a "had to be nominated" performance among lead actors out there. Personally I would have preferred Damon and DiCaprio in The Departed to Smith and DiCaprio in Blood Diamond, but Damon over Smith is not a strong preference.

I didn't think there was anything special about his son's performance. Any kid could have played the part. Thandie Newton, on the other hand, was just plain awful. Usually a luminous presence on screen, her character was poorly written and just as poorly played. The rest of the cast was undistinguised. It was the Will and son show all the way.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Have just watched this on DVD. Maudlin is not the word for it, and somebody's bad decsion to include in the sound track Bridge Over Troubled..well, I left the room.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Hustler wrote:
I liked this film more than I thought I would. I've read reviews that condemn it

I agree with your point of view, Sabin. In spite the fact that the film seems to be a little bit manipulative, I found it very attractive. Smith´s performance was subtle and very convincing. It reminded to me somehow Dustin Hoffman´s performance in Kramer Vs. Kramer
That's exactly the role it reminded me of. And I think some will disagree with me here, but I think Smith is as good, or nearly so, as Hoffman was in that film. So I'm disagreeing with Mister Tee. I believe if this were Smith's big-screen debut, he would have received far more credit than he has been from critics who still see him as the action/comedy star or rapper-turned-actor.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So busy catching up on outstanding nominees, it's hard to find time to write about them.

As most are saying, this isn't a bad movie, though its virtues are basically negative -- i.e., for a type of movie I never cared to see, it's fairly decent. It certainly seems conservative -- its use of Reagan near the beginning seems unironic (though, given his later record, it's hilarious to hear Ronnie speak of the need to bring spending under control), and the very idea of shmoozing stockbroker as noble career aspiration is strictly 80s. The movie has a few silly contrivances (every important appointment Gardner has seems to be foiled by some colorful snafu), but it mostly earns its emotions honestly.

As for Smith...he long ago proved he was more than Big Willie the Movie Star (though I disagree about the Six Degrees performance -- I thought he was over his head in that one), and it's not an outrage he's nominated. At the same time, I think it's his fame (and the film's grosses) that have put him on this list. Put it this way: if a far-less-known performer had given this exact level of performance in a not-as-successful film, I doubt there would have been a Ryan Gosling-like clamor for him to be nominated.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I liked this film more than I thought I would. I've read reviews that condemn it

I agree with your point of view, Sabin. In spite the fact that the film seems to be a little bit manipulative, I found it very attractive. Smith´s performance was subtle and very convincing. It reminded to me somehow Dustin Hoffman´s performance in Kramer Vs. Kramer
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I disagree with the film's politics and its depiction of an America that clearly doesn't exist now nor in the 80's, but I enjoyed the film in spite of that awareness. If I can palate a Capra movie, I can deal with this one.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin I liked this film much less than you did (and I'm a bit surprised you liked it as much as you did) partly because of its conservatism, but mostly because I did think it was heavy handed and overly sentimental.

However, you are correct about Smith who gives a lovely performance. He was indeed equally terrific in Ali and despite some reservations, I thought he was utilized to good effect in Six Degrees of Separation (a film and play I adore). I think his limited talents are potential for a director who knows how to exploit his actors. In Six Degrees, he was much like Tom Cruise in Vanilla Sky - playing a man who doesn't quite know how to "act" in front of people, and is trying to be a real person just as Smith and Cruise are trying to be real actors. In both of these films, this exploitation works extremely well.

Of course in general Smith is better than Cruise and far more likable.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Who are we to judge what this man does with his success or begrudge him any form of upward mobility?

I liked this film more than I thought I would. I've read reviews that condemn it for presenting a tidy view of homelessness coupled with aggressively depressing obstacles in his way, but I'd say it straddles Hollywood mentality with honest as well as one could hope for. The film works, albeit in jags. Will Smith is a very limited performer, so it's rather surprising to me that his nominated performances are so marginalized during Oscar season. His work in 'Ali' was one of the best nodded performances that year, and his work here is pretty beautiful. This may be as close as he can get to playing a modest, introverted man. He's very good. His son is a pixie toddler given little to do or arc of his own.

It's conservative as hell, but a story worth telling for its inspiration. And that such a blatantly inspirational tale fails to lapse into indigestibility, I think that's something.
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Movielover wrote:Saw the film yesterday. I understand why Gardner associated money with happiness. He never had any and there was always a struggle. Did it sometimes feel that the film itself was also equating money with happiness? I felt that way, and it made me resent the film a little. I, for one, don't think richer people are happier. I had the opportunity to work at a company and make twice as much money - the commute would have been the same, etc. - and I opted not to do it because I love my job so much.

Also, did anyone else find it disappointing that he left to start his own firm? It seems to me that Gardner should be thankful and loyal to these people for turning his life around. I'm sure leaving to start your own company entails taking a few of the clients with you, stealing away some business, etc.
But the goal in life is to better yourself, and if you have an opportunity to open your own firm, wouldn't you do it? That's not being ungrateful. I'm sure the people who helped him succeed would want him to continue to succeed. Why stay where you are if you can do better? I realize that this is a very capalistic way of viewing things, but I live in what is supposed to be a capitalistic society, where people strive to climb higher in life. I was not bothered by this ambition.

What is best about the film is Smith's convincing portrayal of a down-on-his-luck single father trying to make things better for himself and his son (Jade Smith, who has a terrific on-screen rapport with his father).
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Depends on how one defines happiness.

To someone in dire straits, it may mean survival and security. Hopefully, some happiness comes from that.

There's no question in my mind that this film is going to be huge. Might this be the surprise Oscar contender?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

Saw the film yesterday. I understand why Gardner associated money with happiness. He never had any and there was always a struggle. Did it sometimes feel that the film itself was also equating money with happiness? I felt that way, and it made me resent the film a little. I, for one, don't think richer people are happier. I had the opportunity to work at a company and make twice as much money - the commute would have been the same, etc. - and I opted not to do it because I love my job so much.

Also, did anyone else find it disappointing that he left to start his own firm? It seems to me that Gardner should be thankful and loyal to these people for turning his life around. I'm sure leaving to start your own company entails taking a few of the clients with you, stealing away some business, etc.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

VanHelsing wrote:I know why Keener was nominated last year. Not just for Capote but also for The 40-Year Old Virgin.

No way. I´m just trying to find any sense in any of 40 year old virgin´s performances
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Okay, okay. As treacly and sentimental as this film is, I really enjoyed it due in most part to Will Smith's confident and unwaveringly appealing performance. His character is a chameleon -- and he has to be. Whether he's studying his financial power book in the pre-dawn sun of the shelter or begging his friend to pay him back the $14 he owes him, you are rooting for Chris Gardner every step of the way.

Essentially, the film shows how through a series of unfortunate circumstances, anyone can become homeless. The fact that he was able to rise above nineteen other interns in order to secure a brokerage position at Dean Witter (I'm not ruining the ending -- you all know he's gonna get it, right?) while living on the streets and in and out of shelters with his five year old is what makes this story so remarkable.

I have to give kudos to the art direction. Never for a moment did I believe that it was not 1981 San Francisco. The costumes were appropriate, the feel and look of the city in the early eighties were spot-on. Heck, there was even a movie poster for "Inside Moves" at a bus stop. Nice attention to detail, there!

Will Smith definitely deserves a nomination, especially with this year's potential line-up. His last scene captures the heartbreak and struggle of his character so well, I found myself there right along with him. On the other hand, Thandie Newton's performance is thoroughly unappealing. I actually couldn't wait for her to leave the movie. A Supporting Actress campaign for her is a complete waste of time.

Edited By flipp525 on 1167243119
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I know why Keener was nominated last year. Not just for Capote but also for The 40-Year Old Virgin, The Interpreter and The Ballad Of Jack & Rose. Maybe Newton may still get nominated as some form of goodwill being brought forward from her missed nomination for Crash last year but I'm not counting on it.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sonic Youth wrote:You don't want me to bring up Capote again as an example, do you?
Not especially, no.

I think Kathleen Quinlan in Apollo 13 is possibly a more apt comparison although, I suppose, she gets in under the never-to-be-under-estimated "suffering wife" clause.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “2000 - 2007”