Movies You Are Most Looking Forward To

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Fracture has Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins.

From the sublime to the ridiculous.
No way for Anthony Hopkins, Damien?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I don't usually follow titles as they're in production, so I don't typically start anticipating films until they're done and showing up in previews. The only title I think I remember being interested in seeing is the Chris Rock film based on Eric Rohmer.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:Fracture has Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins.
From the sublime to the ridiculous.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Fracture has Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

One more to go.
The Bucket List directed by Rob Reiner with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman as a pair of terminally ill men who escape from a cancer ward.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass.
From New Line Cinema comes the first part of Phillip Pullman´s trilogy.
Directed by Chris Weitz and stars Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig and Eva Green.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reservation Road.
Directed by Oscar nominated Writer Terry George, who adapted the novel by John Burnham Schwartz. Stars Joaquin Phoenix, Jennifer Connelly, Mira Sorvino and Mark Ruffalo. A Drama between two families when when the father from one kills the son of the other in a hit-and-run.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

jack wrote:American Gangster.

Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington in a Cop/Drug Dealer epic set in 1970s Harlem directed by Ridley Scott.

For the love of God will Sir Ridley win his Oscar already...
No offense Jack but I dearly hope that once Scorsese has his oscar we are not in for years of the masses clamouring for Ridley Scott to win one. While I find Scorsese's body of work overrated on balance, he at least has a distinct voice and talent, as well as an admirable commitment to and knowledge of cinema history.

Scott's work relies on flashy photography and shallow characterization and I'd have been happy if he'd carried on his entire career as he started, making 30 second TV commercials - taking time out only to make Alien and Thelma & Louise.

And I say this of a fellow Northeast Englander!
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

American Gangster.

Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington in a Cop/Drug Dealer epic set in 1970s Harlem directed by Ridley Scott.

For the love of God will Sir Ridley win his Oscar already...
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Damien wrote:rolo, I think the reason I "lashed" you was for saying that Bill Condon didn't deserve the Oscar, without having seen the film.
i know, and then i was totally proven wrong...oh wait, no never mind... :D
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm also looking forward to I Could Never Be Your Woman, Amy Heckerling's first film in over a decade, with two of Hollywood's most beautiful people, Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd. Although it's been delayed for months, the trailer makes it look pretty good.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Especially Magnolia.

Tell me why, please

Anderson is a director who is more blatently pretentious than Inirritu; every single frame has a "Look, Ma! I'm making a film!" vibe to it that is vomitously off-putting; he's so in love with his own self-perceived talents that he fails to recognize that his "characters" are nothing more than types or that his technique--taking the worst aspects of Altman and Lynch and throwing them into a blender--isn't "revelatory" but, rather, derivative and just plain silly. After the first ten minutes of Magnolia, I wanted to slit my own throat.
I was so caught by the story and so moved by the characteres, that I couldn´t perceive your observations.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Synecdoche, New York, directed and written for the screen by Charlie Kaufmann is being scheduled for a spring 2007 production start. The film stars Michelle Williams, Catherine Keener,Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Tilda Swinton and Samantha Morton.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:
Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:
All of them, including Magnolia?

Especially Magnolia.

Tell me why, please
Anderson is a director who is more blatently pretentious than Inirritu; every single frame has a "Look, Ma! I'm making a film!" vibe to it that is vomitously off-putting; he's so in love with his own self-perceived talents that he fails to recognize that his "characters" are nothing more than types or that his technique--taking the worst aspects of Altman and Lynch and throwing them into a blender--isn't "revelatory" but, rather, derivative and just plain silly. After the first ten minutes of Magnolia, I wanted to slit my own throat.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Penelope wrote:Count me among those who loathe P.T. Anderson's films. Utterly insufferable.

All of them, including Magnolia?

Especially Magnolia.
Tell me why, please

Return to “2000 - 2007”