Movies You Are Most Looking Forward To

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Hustler wrote:What´s wrong with P.T. Anderson? I adored Magnolia.
Well. let's just say we've got ourselves a difference of opinion. :)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

What´s wrong with P.T. Anderson? I adored Magnolia.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

rolotomasi99 wrote:damien, was it not you that gave me the horrid tongue lashing for suggesting that DREAMGIRLS was going to be less than perfect? at least i actually saw fifteen minutes worth of clips and read several reviews to base my prediction on. you are going on not a single frame of film and not a word from other sources. i am not trying to start a fight or anything, but your reaction is so harsh. maybe you should wait until you at least have seen a freaking trailer. daniel day lewis has probably the most consistent track record of any working actor. not every film he is in is perfect (THE CRUCIBLE) but they certainly are not as big of stinkers as some formerly good actors (deniro, hoffman, jackson, freeman, etc).
rolo, I think the reason I "lashed" you was for saying that Bill Condon didn't deserve the Oscar, without having seen the film. It was the same with Italiano: I have no problem with someone dreading a movie based on a director's past work, it was his insisting those of us who love Dreamgirls were wrong when he hadn't seen it.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong for you looking forward to Anderson's film. Just as there's nothing wrong with my having no plans to go anywhere's near it. I just despise everything about his movies. And Daniel Day-Lewis, who stunk up the joint in Gangs of New York, certainly isn't enough of a counter-balance to make me go.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I woluld add Atonement starring Keira Knightley and directed by Joe Wright from the Ian Mc Ewan´s novel, screenplay by Christopher Hampton.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Smiley Face, with the gloriously, fantabulously talented Anna Faris.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

well, after having just seen the preview for ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makepla....qth=300

i have to add it to my list. while it does not look as dramatically strong as TITUS or FRIDA, it looks as cinematically amazing as usual for julie taymor.

damien, was it not you that gave me the horrid tongue lashing for suggesting that DREAMGIRLS was going to be less than perfect? at least i actually saw fifteen minutes worth of clips and read several reviews to base my prediction on. you are going on not a single frame of film and not a word from other sources. i am not trying to start a fight or anything, but your reaction is so harsh. maybe you should wait until you at least have seen a freaking trailer. daniel day lewis has probably the most consistent track record of any working actor. not every film he is in is perfect (THE CRUCIBLE) but they certainly are not as big of stinkers as some formerly good actors (deniro, hoffman, jackson, freeman, etc).
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

rolotomasi99 wrote:THERE WILL BE BLOOD
i love all of p.t. anderson's films (MAGNOLIA is in my top five all time favorites). i think he has immense talent, and much like quentin tarantino has a problem focusing all his ideas and passion. i think a little upton sinclair will do nicely to focus him. with daniel day lewis in the lead, i expect this to be the young writer/director's most ambitious yet focused film.
Oh Jesus, that a sshole is doing Upton Sinclair? Run for the hills!
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

there appear to be some really good films coming out this year. many of them are politically focused, which is always nice. other than all the regular summer blockbusters, there are a few films in particular i am really looking forward to:

THERE WILL BE BLOOD
i love all of p.t. anderson's films (MAGNOLIA is in my top five all time favorites). i think he has immense talent, and much like quentin tarantino has a problem focusing all his ideas and passion. i think a little upton sinclair will do nicely to focus him. with daniel day lewis in the lead, i expect this to be the young writer/director's most ambitious yet focused film.

RENDITION
LIONS FOR LAMBS
CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR
THE KITE RUNNER
after some deafening silence from the mainstream film artists, we are finally seeing some cinematic responses to the iraq war. most of these films are set in afghanistan, but this is much like how korea was really representing vietnam in MASH. incredible talent involved all around with these films. hopefully the studios do not take the political bite out of these movies.

THE GOLDEN AGE
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL
LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA
other than MARIE ANTOINETTE, 2006 was lacking some really sumptuous period pieces. here we are going to some incredible work in the areas of set, costume, cinematogprahy, etc., but also hopefully enjoy some beautifully told stories.

LUST, CAUTION
MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS
the first is ang lee's newest film, and the second is wong kar wai's first english language film. both these directors have consistently given us modern masterpieces about love and loss. there is so much pressure on lee to follow up his triumph and on wai to translate well in english. i hope and expect the best from both of them.

as more and more films get spotlighted throughout the year i am sure my interest will be piqued. what is everyone else eagerly awaiting (again, other than the obvious blockbusters).
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “2000 - 2007”