The Dark Knight (aka Batman 6) - Heath Ledger to play The Joker

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The only one of Tim Burton's Batman films that I am really a huge fan of is the first film. I liked Batman Returns well enough, but being a hardcore Batman fan since the age of 6, for me it wasn't so much a Batman film as it was a gothic fantasy that just happens to use characters from the Batman universe. The reason I say this is because it almost totally throws out all the Batman lore (Catwoman was a cat burglar with a taste for expensive diamonds -- not one of those scary cat ladies) and totally goes against who Batman is and what he stands for. I'm sorry, but Batman would never do anything as mean spirited as light a guy on fire with the Batmobile's jets or blow someone up with dynamite. And the Penguin? -- Don't even get me started on him. Sure, the movie was creative enough, and I respect it for that, but it just wasn't a true Batman film. (One other thing: I have a huge clown phobia, so I was very creeped out by Batman Returns)

On the other hand, Batman Begins was the first adaptation that was truly faithful to its source material. And as an origin film, I don't think it can be topped. It is really my favorite entry in the series -- and I say this not only as a Batman fan, but as a filmgoer. It is the most cinematic entry in the series, the most character-oriented entry, and the most layered as well. Perhaps it is not the most purely entertaining (which I think Burton's original Batman is), but it's still got all the goods. And Christian Bale is, IMO, the best Batman we've had so far.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sorry, flipp, but other than Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, there hasn't been a single thing about ANY of the Batman films that I've liked. Oh, and the codpieces in Schumacher's entries.

The popularity of this franchise totally mystifies me. Superman I get. Spider-Man I get. Hell, even Fantastic Four was better than any of the Batman films.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Not everyone agrees that the franchise has been reinvigorated. Batman Begins was fine enough, but in the end didn't have nearly the depth or grandness of Burton's two films, especially Batman Returns, still the greatest Superhero movie ever. I am luke-warm to this film. The interesting cast is the only thing drawing me to it (and not Christian Bale's deadpan, flat performance as Bruce Wayne either)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Maggie will be replacing Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes. Holmes left the franchise for "unspecified reasons."

It's interesting that Aaron Eckhart has been added since he was rumored at one time to be playing Batman back when Darren Aronofsky was developing an adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope, the franchise has been reinvigorated. Maybe you're still stuck in the Schumacher years.

I'm happy that Maggie Gyllenhaal is taking over Katie Holmes' role. She's one of the best actors working today and the more exposure she has, the better. Is she playing the exact same character or is she just Batman's new female interest? Did they just want rid of the Scientology Bride altogether?

Billy Dee Williams, Tommy Lee Jones, Aaron Eckhart...Harvey Dent's been recast as many times as Batman. I thought Ryan Phillippe was in talks to take it over.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

No, I'm not. I don't want my Emily (or my Rachel or even lovely Maggie) going anywhere near that black hole of a franchise.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Aaron Eckhart has been added to the cast. He'll play Harvey Dent.

It's not official yet but Maggie Gyllenhaal (flipp should be excited!) will replace Katie Holmes. Previously, it was reported that Rachel McAdams or Emily Blunt (Penelope would be disappointed) would replace Holmes.

Caine, Freeman & Oldman are set to reprise their roles.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's The New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun, which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster's Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

"Chris' unique vision is what made 'Batman Begins' such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of 'The Dark Knight,'" said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with 'Batman Begins,'" added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

Return to “2000 - 2007”