V for Vendetta

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Glad you and Danae liked it Cam. I'm generally no fan of big action movies either, but I had a feeling this one would appeal to your political sensibilities.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

At the recommendation of some of you, we rented V for Vendetta last night.
At first, I thought we were in a kind of Phantom of The Opera thing, but it switched directions, and of course,disturbing to anticipate a world like this. Futuristic films are usually not my thing--I have VIVID memories of Soylent Black, Animal Farm, 1984, and all the rest that I really did not want to add another film-memory of THIS film, but I found it tremendously exciting . Wonderful performance by Stephen Rea--the weight of the world on his shoulders.(*** 1/2)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

We should hope that they leave 'Watchmen' alone forever. It is a comic book and any attempt to adapt it is a fool's errand. Certain pleasures need to be left alone and 'Watchmen' is one of them, lest it end up like 'Daredevil'.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, The Watchmen is fantastic.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

We should hope they do a big-screen adaptation of Moore's Watchmen, one of the most visceral and satisfying novels ever written, graphic or otherwise.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:Spoilers

Just rented V For Vendetta. It’s one of the damnedest things I’ve ever seen
Exactly.

And I saw it at an IMAX.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Spoilers

Just rented V For Vendetta. It’s one of the damnedest things I’ve ever seen – an unapologetically left-wing action movie. And one that is explicitly pro-gay. And completely pro-civil liberties. Astonishing.

It’s also beautifully constructed and so much more cohesive than 99 percent of this genre. Who knew a big budget action movie with explosions and violence could be so moving?

A couple of plot aspects are a little murky but that’s a minor quibble. I love the pop culture references (Julie London on the soundtrack, a White Heat poster in V's apartment) which in the context of the film's universe are so moving! Stephen Fry’s character is lovely and the entire sequence involving Natasha Wightman as the prisoner next door is extremely affecting. The Holocaust references are audacious as hell and extraordinarily powerful. This is very much an allegory of the evil that is George Bush’s America and the filmmakers have my utmost respect and gratitude for that.

Most astonishing of all, it's a film in which the happy ending consists of the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben being destroyed. Hell, a good friend of mine tried to blow up the U.S. Capitol and she ended up in prison for a dozen years.

To use a phrase I haven't employed in 35 years, mind blowing. I love this movie.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It isn't exactly a song. It's a remix of several songs, "Churake Dil Mera" and "Pardesi Jana Nahin" set to a thrash metal dance track. It's played over the closing credits.

You can hear it by clicking this link. The guy who mixed it has a My Space, naturally. Everyone in the world except for me seems to have one of these things.

By the way, since Inside Man, the sales of the Dil Se soundtrack has shot up 2,000 slots. Today, it's #682 in music sales. Again, it's not even six dollars. Did everyone get their copy? If you don't have either a Dil Se or a My Space, you're REALLY out of touch.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:This is the SECOND major studio film I've seen this year with a Bollywood song prominently on the soundtrack. The desis are taking over!
Which song?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Not a great movie, actually a heavily flawed one, but, I agree, much more interesting than some "better" films... Unusual, and by American standards probably even subversive, yes.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This is the SECOND major studio film I've seen this year with a Bollywood song prominently on the soundtrack. The desis are taking over!

I'll get into this in more detail, but I was very taken aback by this film. I remember all the conservatives griping about how this was going to be a dangerous pro-terrorism film and yadda yadda yadda. That's a simplification, as it usually is with these people. But I must concede that in this case, they have a point, at least regarding the final fifteen minutes which left my mouth hanging open. I'm stunned that such a big budget movie like this was made and put out in wide release. But that's a GOOD thing. Not everything about the film was successful, but my admiration for it is overflowing. Yikes, what a provocative, challenging, subversive movie! This is almost as inflammatory as Lars Von Trier. And I was expecting to hate this.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I loved the production design and the cinematography; despite the fact that it wasn't very deep and hammered home its themes even more forcefully than Crash, I lapped up all the cultural/historical references and it kept me entertained for the complete running time; plus, to see a big-budget action extravaganza with such pro-gay elements was also extremely satisfying.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:On its surface, it's a film about the pursuit of revenge, love and freedom while deep below, there's an anti-Bush/religious zealot theme.
I guess I didn't really think that was all that deep below, nor was the film's treatment of it given anything more than a superficial cursory glance.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have to disagree. I thought there were a lot of fantastic allegories to modern America and the emergence of the religious right as a threat to freedom.

On its surface, it's a film about the pursuit of revenge, love and freedom while deep below, there's an anti-Bush/religious zealot theme.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

V for Vomitrocious might have been a better title, IMO.

OscarGuy, was that the only scene where you felt beat over the head? Man, I felt the parallel editing over-emphasized major points about ten too many times. But perhaps the filmmakers felt desperate, because the plot is such gobbledygook I still can't really even explain what happens in this film. Some stuff gets blown up, there's endless chattering about the 5th of November, and then there's an incredibly shallow and superficial portrait of a totalitarian government in which some people seem to have found great depth. What an obnoxious, smug film that coasts on its super-cool style with nary an idea in its head.

And I generally enjoy Natalie Portman, but, boy, can that girl NOT do a British accent or WHAT?!

Return to “2000 - 2007”