Sven Nykvist - A subtle genius

Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

If you live Nykvist, watch The Ox. I just saw it last weekend for the first time. Stunning!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

There's already a tribute thread on Sven Nykvist going on here.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

A moment of silence is in order for Sven Nykvist, famed cinematographer and collaborator of Ingmar Bergman. He was recognized by the Academy for three films Cries And Whispers (1973), Fanny And Alexander (1983), and The Unbearable Lightness Of Being (1988). He won the Oscar for the first two, and should have won for the third as well.
I love beautiful cinematography. Nykvist's work was subtley beautiful, using mostly natural light and a muted palette. He was definitely no Robert Richardson (The Aviator, Snow Falling On Cedars), having to saturate the screen with brilliant colors. Framing and light were important to him. His camera work helped tell the story in ways the acting, dialogue, or music could not. I have not seen any cinematography in a movie come close to what he accomplished except maybe the underrated work in Brokeback Mountain.
I know it might seem silly, but if anyone would like to share some memories of his work that they enjoyed please feel free to add comments. Sorry to go overboard, but I am always saddened by the loss of true talent.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “2000 - 2007”