Summer of 2007 is going to be CRAZY

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, flame on, honey! Am I the only one who enjoyed FF for the pure cheezefest it was? And, please, who cares about Ms. Alba--it's delish Chris Evans that got me into a seat in the first place.

If Greencrap is directing Bourne Ultimatum, count me out.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

LOL! I'm checking it out for Jessica Alba's sake. But then again, I can't stand all the attention that Chris Evans got in the first one. I totally hate the phrase "Flame on"! And all those fangirls who scream everytime he comes out on screen and say that phrase. UGH!

But still, I can just hope the second one's better. Well, at least it has the Silver Surfer and Dr. Doom is back!
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Prisoner of Azkaban' didn't have to compete with Spider-Man, Shrek, AND Jack Sparrow. It'll do just fine, but reviews don't matter a lick for the 'Harry Potter' franchise, neither do Emmys for 'The Girl in the Café. Just summer competition and this is a tight one.

The fact that Cuarons' taken, the only tolerable (admitteldy, fairly great) entry is the lowest grossing means that summer does not fair well for the franchise.

VH: Are you really looking forward to 'FF2'? You really don't need to. I'm sure there's a good movie somewhere that you haven't seen that would better occupy your time.

Edited By Sabin on 1157353637
"How's the despair?"
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

criddic3, I think you meant the fifth HP movie.

I'm looking forward to these:
May 4: Spider-Man 3
May 18: Shrek the Third
May 25: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
June 15: Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer
July 4: Transformers
July 13: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
August 3: The Bourne Ultimatum
August 10: Rush Hour 3

-------

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

If the third Harry Potter is anywhere near as good as the last four entries, it will be a huge hit. I have loved every one of the movies. The series has a great quality to it and has been consistent in its ability to involve me as a viewer.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I also feel that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix can easily top 200 million. Although I don't think that if it gets better reviews, it will lead to better box-office numbers. Case in point, Azkaban received good reviews (thanks to Cuaron) but so far, it's the lowest-earning HP movie.

-------

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think you underestimate Harry Potter, Sabin. The film will easily top $200 million. The Prisoner of Azkaban managed that much even with Shrek 2 and Spider-Man 2 as competition. I think The Order of the Phoenix will do just as good, granted it will not make as much as The Goblet of Fire did during the Fall.

With the director's last film, The Girl in the Cafe, winning the Outstanding Television Movie Emmy this year, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be one of the better reviewed movies of next summer.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Transformers' needs to make $300 mil to break even. It should reach around $200 mil and in league with overproduced would-be blockbusters like 'Superman Returns', that's just not going to be enough.

Besides, 'Transformers' is going to be falling-down awful. AWFUL! I already know the entire movie:

1. Initial 'Transformers' tease
2. 30 mins of scientists running around, bullshit jargon like "Dammit, Johnson! These Transformers of yours had better make it count!"
3. The Reveal -- in which the Transformer-prototype is revealed and testing is done -- + 30 mins of false starts.
4. 15 - 20 mins of Enemy Transformers attacking -- ie 'The Human Face'
5. Michael Bay/'Transformers' incoherent bullshit.

'Transformers' will end up being subpar, maybe no.5 or no.6 at the end of the summer. I called it with 'Superman Returns'.

ALSO - 'Fantastic Four' has come closer to 'Daredevil''s returns than 'Spider-Man''s, thank Christ. It opened to less than $10 mil more than that movie did; when you adjust Feb. to Jul. grosses, that's not a huge difference. It's just a truly horrible movie that managed to recoup and buck expectations thanks to A) a Jessica Alba push for the MTV/retard demographic (then again: I bought a ticket, didn't I?) and B) opening against non-starter 'Dark Water' and benefited from the audiences that were too young or too anti-Cruise to see 'War of the Worlds'. It promply fell off very quickly with the debuts of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and 'Wedding Crashers'. It's success was in not failing. With a $100 mil budget and doubtlessly close to $50 mil more in marketing, advertising, and unsold Ben Grimm dolls, 'Fantastic Four' broke even at best.

I cannot wait to see the sequel flop. The first was one of the most tortuous filmgoing experiences I've ever had and there's no reason to believe that the beyond awkwardly-titled 'Fantastic Four & The Silver Surfer' will be any better.

Edited By Sabin on 1157328517
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The reason Fantastic Four was as popular as it was is this: Super Heroes. The Super Hero genre has been very popular of late. They were hoping for something more akin to Spider-Man and X-Men than Daredevil and Elektra.

I think you underestimate the audience for Transformers which is the next best thing to Comic Books (after G.I. Joe, which oddly enough has not seen a going-into-production announcement) for all those 80's boys that made the super hero genre as popular as it has become.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jesus! May is going to be like the end of 'Reservoir Dogs'. And I'm hoping that 'Shrek 3' is the one that gets smacked down. I can only pray that 'Pirates' steals the 'Shrek' audience away and it only makes $250 mil.

Biggest bomb of the summer? 'Fantastic Four & The Silver Surfer'. The original was one of the thinnest excuses for a blockbuster I've ever seen and I refuse to believe people actively sought that film out for reasons more than nothing else was out. I see it dying hard, and deservingly. Then again, I see 'Ocean's 13' doing no more than breaking even. And 'Transformers' seems incapable of even doing that at this point.

I think both 'Bourne Ultimatim' and 'Rush Hour 3' have enough faithful constituents to stand as August success stories.

'Harry Potter' doesn't seem well suited for summer and might not top $200 mil.

'The Simpsons' needs to be funnier, sweeter, and all around better than it has been for ten, maybe thirteen years. Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe I just need it to be.

If the laughless 'Bruce Almighty' can go to $250 mil, 'Evan Almighty' can do just the same. And if the admittedly sub-par/still engaging 'Cars' - with all its negative buzz - can top 'X3' and 'The Da Vinci Code', 'Ratatouille' is poised to be the best movie of the summer and one of its biggest hits.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The only ones I'm looking forward to in that list are Spider-Man 3, Ratatouille, Harry Potter 5 and The Simpsons.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't think there's a thread for this yet but next year's summer there's going to be a GLUT of blockbusters. Look at this schedule:

May 4: Spider-Man 3
May 18: Shrek the Third
May 25: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
June 8: Ocean's Thirteen
June 15: Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer
June 22: Evan Almighty
June 29: Live Free or Die Hard, Ratatouille
July 4: Transformers
July 13: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
July 27: The Simpsons Movie
August 3: The Bourne Ultimatum
August 10: Rush Hour 3

Damn. They all look like hits but I think a few of them will flop. I think Ocean's 13, Rush Hour 3, Live Free or Die Hard are the strongest contenders to flop. I think Pirates 3, Fantastic Four and the Silver Surver and Transformers will underwhelm.

One movie I hope will flop is Shrek the Third (Enough already with this overrated series).

Return to “2000 - 2007”