Summer of 2007 is going to be CRAZY

VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

What's the title of that "documentary", Damien? Shout out loud. Give the film some advance promo, will ya. ;)
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
VanHelsing wrote:Actually, before all these summer blockbusters come out, there's a film coming out in March which I'm so looking forward to and will NEVER miss. Wanna guess? :p

Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a Sandra Bullock documentary being released in March . . . :p
bada-bump-ching.

LOL. :D
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

VanHelsing wrote:Actually, before all these summer blockbusters come out, there's a film coming out in March which I'm so looking forward to and will NEVER miss. Wanna guess? :p
Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a Sandra Bullock documentary being released in March . . . :p
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Ah. I guess I should have picked up on the whole "Die Hard" in the title. I suppose that's how unnecessary it seems to me! Almost like Rocky VI...
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Yes, it's another Die Hard sequel. Willis will be back and Justin Long is onboard too. Directed by Kate Beckinsale's husband, Len Wiseman.

-------

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:I have no idea what Live Free is, so I abstained from a guess. Who else wants to speculate?
I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that "Live Free or Die Hard" is the fourth "Die Hard" movie. I don't know, though, because I never heard that they were making another "Die Hard" sequel.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

It's otay. Actually, before all these summer blockbusters come out, there's a film coming out in March which I'm so looking forward to and will NEVER miss. Wanna guess? :p

-------

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

VanHelsing wrote:criddic3, I think you meant the fifth HP movie.
Hehe, an accidental reversal of numbers.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Well, we have all weighed in with our critical thoughts on the movies: anyone want to guess at their box office takes? May is going to be a slaughter-house:

May 4: Spider-Man 3 - $400M
May 18: Shrek the Third - $325M
May 25: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - $350M
June 8: Ocean's Thirteen - $135M
June 15: Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer - $95M
June 22: Evan Almighty - $175M
June 29: Live Free or Die Hard, Ratatouille - ?, $300M
July 4: Transformers - $125M
July 13: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - $245M
July 27: The Simpsons Movie - $200M
August 3: The Bourne Ultimatum - $165M
August 10: Rush Hour 3 - $140M

That's an awful lot of money I predicted, that will most likely be a lot less in reality. The big hits will nevertheless be the May entries (I predict a drop-off for both Pirates and Shrek, but their figures are reasonable guesses) and Ratatouille, which looks delightful. Evan Almighty, starring Steve Carell on a hot streak, will be the surprise: if the trailer is anywhere near good, it will be huge.
Harry Potter will be its usual solid quarter-a-billion grosser (with much more overseas), and the Simpsons movie is a wildcard that I am anticipating. Either its good and explodes, or is bad and still makes a buttload. Rush Hour 3 will be coming a mere six years after the second, and I doubt it can recapture that magic again.
Transformers, FF and O13 look to be underwhelming, and their grosses can be much lower (FF will probably draw in the teenie MTV crowd, so it could be higher). I have no idea what Live Free is, so I abstained from a guess. Who else wants to speculate?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jessica Alba is a beautiful actress, but Jesus Christ is she death on the screen! Truly one of the worst actors I've ever seen. Until she takes her top off when she's 35 and nobody gives a ####, just download some 'Into the Blue' screen shots and it'll be a substantial improvement. Can't stand the woman. And I say this to her and Natalie Portman: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE YOUR TOP OFF, DON'T PLAY A ####ING STRIPPER! What kind of bullshit rodeo-striptease was that?

My mind is made up: I will pay to see 'Spider-Man 3', 'Ratatouille', and 'The Simpsons'. None of these are out of obligation but out of genuinely high hopes. As far as I'm concerned, 'The Simpsons' franchise, PIXAR movies, and 'Spider-Man' films are as close to high art as pop entertainment can get. I can't wait for any of them.

I will not pay to see but sneak into: 'Pirates of the Caribbean 3' (sue me), 'The Bourne Ultimatum', and maaaaaaaaybe 'Transformers' & 'Shrek the Third' out of morbid curiosity.

The rest I can't muster a single iota of curiosity for.
"How's the despair?"
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Way too many sequels for my taste. Ratatouille and Simpsons are the only ones I’m looking forward to - and I don’t necessarily expect too much from either one of those, either. Using Anonymous’ vocabulary, I will probably see Spider-Man 3 "out of obligation", and I expect it to be "decent", but not much more. I have no intention of seeing Bourne Ultimatum (Saw the first film), Ocean’s 13 (ditto) or Pirates 3 (Saw the two first ones)

...Admittedly, I am a bit curious on what Michael Bay has done with Transformers. I’m sure it’ll be crap, but I’m still interested on what Bay and the producers have come up with.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think having SM3, Shrek3 and Pirates3 as competition isn't necessarily a bad thing. Its only REAL competition is Shrek3. Remember that kids make up a large majority of the audience for the film (though adults are increasingly watching it since the books are so fun). It's going to be a hit anyway even with big competition because the only real film competing is Shrek3.

HOWEVER, using them as competition nearly 2 months after their release is a ridiculous argument. By the time HP comes out, all three of those films will be on the way down at the box office and the only films that would have a chance of pulling audience will be Ratatouille which will have debuted 2 weeks earlier and as we learned from this year's crop of animated films, 2 weeks is plenty of time for a film to deflate and a new film to be crowned the box office champ.

HP3's other big problem was coming out on June 4, not the July 13 that it's projected for. At the time, Shrek 2 was only in its 3rd week of release, Day After Tomorrow was in its second. Then, after having amassed nearly $200 M already, two weeks later it was dethroned by Dodgeball and The Terminal. That's pretty damned good for a scant two-week engagement ($191M) and Azkaban still managed nearly $250M by the end of its run.

Its release date of July 13 positions it as a late-Summer entry that will have as much time (2 weeks) before a serious threat shows up with The Simpsons movie. And after that, neither Bourne nor RH3 will be able to take much away audience-wise from HP5. So, I'd say its position for July 13 is perfect.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

VanHelsing wrote:But Damon doesn't turn you on? :p
Matt is a sweetie, and a terrific actor into the bargain--however, as with anonymous' complaint about Ms. Alba in FF, since Greencrap apparently has his DP stand on a Tilt-A-Whirl during shooting, then edits his movie with a chainsaw--you can't sit back and enjoy the movie--instead, you're constantly reaching for the barf bag.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

What's the use of watching a movie for Jessica Alba when she's invisible half the time?

I'm only looking forward to three films: Harry Potter, Ratatouille and The Simpsons Movie. That's it.

I'll probably see Spider-Man 3, Shrek the Third and Pirates 3 out of obligation but I think only one of them will be decent.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

LOL! Penelope, let's just say, we've got different tastes. ;)

Yes, Paul Greencrap is directing Ultimatum. But Damon doesn't turn you on? :p

-------

Return to “2000 - 2007”