All the King's Men

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sadly, my gut tells that this King´s Men is going to bomb (personally, I hated the book--tried to read it twice and find it pretty much unbearablely pretentious and boring); and whoever did Kate´s hair should never be allowed to work again.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

If this film goes well with the critics, Winslet might score double nods next year and most likely win for Little Children.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought it looked dreadful myself, but I figured maybe it was me since I thought the idea of remaking All the King's Men a bad one from the get-go. I think the original was a good movie, but I always thought its abundance of awards was meant as a poke in the eye to Harry Cohn who pretty much dismissed the film.

Penn's overheated performance looks more Razzie than Oscar worthy to me, but I've thought that about other performances that went on to win Osar nods. AMPAS does like it loud on occasion.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I saw the preview on the official web site.

Both Penn and the movie look unspeakably awful. No wonder this has been held back for over a year.

Another good novel down the drain. (Never saw the first ATKM.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greg wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Mercedes McCambridge became the first car to win Best Supporting Actress for the role Clarkson is creating.

Mercedes McCambridge was a car? Do tell...

It was a pre-World-War-II luxury roadster known for its infamous "casting rumbleseat."

Oh, duh. I got it. Mercedes is a type of car. Gotcha. At first, I was like, "I know she wasn't all that attractive but was she really a car?"

My first car was a black 300E Mercedes junior year of high school. Yeah, I was a spoiled brat.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:By the way, was the film aready been shot by the time Penn handed the Best Actress Award to Swank? I mean, considering his defense (overeacted or not) on Jude Law... or maybe they were already close friends by the time and it had nothing to do with this film...
Yep, the film was nearly done shooting when he gave Best Actress to the cow; he smiled and winked at Kate Winslet--another King´s Men costar--before announcing the winner.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Mercedes McCambridge became the first car to win Best Supporting Actress for the role Clarkson is creating.

It was a pre-World-War-II luxury roadster known for its infamous "casting rumbleseat."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I forgot to mention Clarkson.

When the first film came out, Broderick Crawford won lead for the role Sean Penn has in this film while Mercedes McCambridge became the first car to win Best Supporting Actress for the role Clarkson is creating.

If this film can manage to at least live up acting-wise, I will be happy to count Clarkson as an Oscar winner. She deserves it too. Penn could also take his second Oscar for this role. Depends on how everyone feels about him taking on such a despicable role.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

What I find most interesting about this is that Director Steven Zaillian claims he hasn't seen Rossen's version and that this film will be only his interpretation of the book, solidly based on it and nothing more... the cast also help, can't wait to see Patricia Clarkson as Sadie Burke.

By the way, was the film aready been shot by the time Penn handed the Best Actress Award to Swank? I mean, considering his defense (overeacted or not) on Jude Law... or maybe they were already close friends by the time and it had nothing to do with this film...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I saw the first preview for this movie. It honestly looks like it will be a contender. The performances seem top notch and, if anything, Sean Penn should be able to get a nomination.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “2000 - 2007”