Soccer World Cup 2014

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Re: Soccer World Cup 2014

Post by Cinemanolis »

mlrg wrote:Sorry Cinemanos, but I just fucking hate Greece. Even if the coach is portuguese, they play terribly and go to the second stage of the tournement with a negative goal average and winning with a non-existing penalty in additional time.
I agree that we play a very boring football. The penalty was non existing too. But it was a very average Group. Colombia was clearly the better team and Ivory Coast is probably a better team than Greece in general. But in this particular match they didn't show their higher quality. Both teams were average and a 1-1 score would be a fair result. We were lucky with the penalty i agree, but i don't think neither Ivory Cost nor Japan were that much higher quality teams. In general the greek soccer team play a very defensive-safe-boring football that sometimes pays off (2004 Euro), so i understand your feelings.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sorry Cinemanos, but I just fucking hate Greece. Even if the coach is portuguese, they play terribly and go to the second stage of the tournement with a negative goal average and winning with a non-existing penalty in additional time.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ITALIANO wrote:See? :(

Now I really think it will be Brazil. Deservedly or not.
Either Brazil or France, but this world cup is a big dissapointment for european teams
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

See? :(

Now I really think it will be Brazil. Deservedly or not.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okay, it took a while but I'm finally a believer, along with many of my fellow Americans.... :)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

My money is on the Germans, though I don't think a European team has ever won the tournament in South America. However, the way this World Cup is going, anyone could win. I'm hoping for a European final, but I have a suspicion that Brazil will make it.

On a lighter note, as a Scotsman I took great pleasure watching England crash out.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy wrote:Are you fucking kidding me right now, Portugal?
We palyed terribly once again. Our team is, in theory, much better than USA but we were just horrible...
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Are you fucking kidding me right now, Portugal?
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

mlrg wrote:
Predicted winner: Italy

I wish :)

We aren't bad, I know... but it's really too soon to say.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy wrote:Where I usually prefer to watch sporting events in the privacy of my own home, I will only watch US national soccer in public. The passion and pride and reactions are simply incredible.

You could not have scripted a better bookend game than the one the USMNT played against Ghana. The redemption feels so good.

I'm nervous about playing Portugal. Even though they don't have Pepe, that game against Germany had to have been a fluke.

Glad to see our neighbors Mexico draw against Brazil. Ochoa's goaltending has been incredible.

Also happy to see the Dutch spank the Spanish. The Dutch have been my #2 team since I first started watching in 2002.

My favorite players so far have been Ochoa, Dempsey, and RVP.

I couldn't even guess who would win. I'll just say Netherlands for now.
Well, we don't have Pepe, Coentrão, Almeida and the goalkeeper Patricio. The team overall sucks, except for Ronaldo and William Carvalho who hopefully will play on sunday. Either way, it won't matter because USA will win.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Where I usually prefer to watch sporting events in the privacy of my own home, I will only watch US national soccer in public. The passion and pride and reactions are simply incredible.

You could not have scripted a better bookend game than the one the USMNT played against Ghana. The redemption feels so good.

I'm nervous about playing Portugal. Even though they don't have Pepe, that game against Germany had to have been a fluke.

Glad to see our neighbors Mexico draw against Brazil. Ochoa's goaltending has been incredible.

Also happy to see the Dutch spank the Spanish. The Dutch have been my #2 team since I first started watching in 2002.

My favorite players so far have been Ochoa, Dempsey, and RVP.

I couldn't even guess who would win. I'll just say Netherlands for now.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mlrg
Associate

Soccer World Cup 2014

Post by mlrg »

I decided to start a thread.

Congratulations USA for a great victory yesterday. Next USA will play my couyntry, Portugal, who played terribly against Germany.

Favourite team so far: Costa Rica (who has no chance in hell)

Favourite player: Mexico's goalkeeper

Predicted winner: Italy

Return to “General Off-Topic”