Soccer World Cup 2014

Okri
Tenured

Re: Soccer World Cup 2014

Post by Okri »

ITALIANO wrote:
mlrg wrote:
Okri wrote:Holy shit.
If you are referring to Germany crushing Brazil, while not an amazing game, if you witnessed it live, like I did, we can say that we witnessed a major landmark in soccer history.

Yes. Far from a great, suspenseful match, of course, but the kind of match which is remembered not for years - for decades.
Exactly.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

mlrg wrote:
If you are referring to Germany crushing Brazil, while not an amazing game, if you witnessed it live, like I did, we can say that we witnessed a major landmark in soccer history.

Yes. Far from a great, suspenseful match, of course, but the kind of match which is remembered not for years - for decades.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Holy shit.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

mlrg wrote:Brazil is the big favourite... in theory. If Colombia plays as they have been playing It would be easy for them to move forward (except if there is a refere to spoil the game)

After World Cup 1998 ane specially Euro 2000 absolutely hate France so I hope Germany crushes them

The Netherland will win easily

I'm rooting for Belgium against Argentina
a) Well, the ref definitely spoiled that game. Brazil played cynically, the ref allowed it, Colombia retaliated, and Neymar's out. If Brazil loses the World Cup, they can blame how they played this match as the reason. James Rodriguez is still a star, and I cannot wait to see where he hads.

b) Germany didn't crush France, but it was a clear victory. France really never got into the game.

c) The football gods didn't even want The Netherlands to win. But in the end, Tim Krull did the job for the whole team. In fairness, Netherlands clearly were the better team - 12 goal attempts on target (vs 1 for Costa Rica) and just utterly dominated possession. But Navas was still epic (goal keeper of the tournament with Howard and Neuer) and the second half of extra time was off the hook.

d) Argentina also deserved to win. Belgium will be great in a few years, but they seemed nervy.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Okri wrote:
So, on the upcoming games.

Colombia vs Brazil: Has the potential to be the best game of the World Cup. I'm rooting for Colombia but it'll likely be Brazil.

France vs Germany: Should be fascinating. Rooting for Germany, wouldn't hazard a guess at predicting.

The Netherlands vs Costa Rica: The Netherlands should take it in a romp; the fairytale ends here for Costa Rica.

Argentina vs Belgium: Another too close to predict - but I'm predicting/rooting for Belgium.
Brazil is the big favourite... in theory. If Colombia plays as they have been playing It would be easy for them to move forward (except if there is a refere to spoil the game)

After World Cup 1998 ane specially Euro 2000 absolutely hate France so I hope Germany crushes them

The Netherland will win easily

I'm rooting for Belgium against Argentina
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

a) The US team really is more than the sum of their parts. The Belgian team had better parts, though. Even if they were underwhelming relative to what they could do. But Belgium are starting to tick as a team.

b) Yedlin is a star in the making. What a terrific performance from him.

c) There were a total of 52 goal attempts by both side; 32 on target. Compare that to the Argentina-Switzerland game (38 attempts on goal, 18 on target).

d) Did anyone else think that Marc Wilmots got his line-up wrong?

e) All eight group winners go on to the quarter finals.

f)

So, on the upcoming games.

Colombia vs Brazil: Has the potential to be the best game of the World Cup. I'm rooting for Colombia but it'll likely be Brazil.

France vs Germany: Should be fascinating. Rooting for Germany, wouldn't hazard a guess at predicting.

The Netherlands vs Costa Rica: The Netherlands should take it in a romp; the fairytale ends here for Costa Rica.

Argentina vs Belgium: Another too close to predict - but I'm predicting/rooting for Belgium.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Okri wrote:
Okay, it took a while but I'm finally a believer, along with many of my fellow Americans....
The USA made it through to this round last time too.
Oh no, I was talking about the game itself. I had no interest in the World Cup before this year. I started watching a few games and now I get it. It really is exciting to watch, and it's been a real education. Plus... it's SHORT! It doesn't go on for three hours-plus like baseball or (American) football.

As for the USA team, no matter what happens Tim Howard needs to advance to the next round. Not the rest of the team. Just Howard.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, four minutes of 120+ isn't bad.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Germany-Algeria: Well, Germany will have to play better than that. A near heroic performance from Manuel Neuer was required.

France-Nigeria: Both teams were well up for it; the end was a shame though.

--

As for tomorrow's games, I've gotta say I'm rooting for Switzerland and Belgium. Argentina have been really underwhelming beyond Messi and I'd like to see Belgium do well
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy wrote:The end of the NEDMEX game was incredible. The Oranje are my #2 team behind the USA due to my heritage. I don't even care if Robben flopped in the box to get the winning PK; there were so many no calls in Mexico's favor the entire game through that it was sweet, sweet justice.

Costa Rica's run is incredible, and I only hope it continues further.

Colombia is the darkhorse here. I think they should be highly considered to win it all even without Falcao.

Chile should have won against Brazil. Anything for the host country, right?
In a perfect world the final would be Colombia-Nederlands,, by far the two best teams playing, but we all know that in a world cup everyone plays against each other and in the end Germany wins.

Colombia has one hell of a team. James Rodriguez is the world cup revelation and will become a top 3 world player in the future as he is only 22 years old. I happen to know him as a player since he was 18/19 as his first european club was the portuguese team FC Porto. He played alongside Falcao in FC Porto. Imagine if Falcao was fit to play the world cup. And Cuadrado is one hell of a player as well.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

The end of the NEDMEX game was incredible. The Oranje are my #2 team behind the USA due to my heritage. I don't even care if Robben flopped in the box to get the winning PK; there were so many no calls in Mexico's favor the entire game through that it was sweet, sweet justice.

Costa Rica's run is incredible, and I only hope it continues further.

Colombia is the darkhorse here. I think they should be highly considered to win it all even without Falcao.

Chile should have won against Brazil. Anything for the host country, right?
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Chile-Brazil: Tense right up to the final minute.

Colombia-Uruguay: Once Suarez was banned, this became a fait accompli, but Colombia is without one of their best players in Falcao. James Rodriguez' opening goal was a stunner.

Netherlands-Mexico: Wow.

Costa Rica-Greece: Phew.
Okay, it took a while but I'm finally a believer, along with many of my fellow Americans....
The USA made it through to this round last time too.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Greg wrote:Apparently, the World Cup has shown how soccer has its own touch of hockey.

"Soccer's notorious 'Cannibal' bites rival at World Cup:"

http://nypost.com/2014/06/24/notorious- ... world-cup/
As good a player as Suárez is, he need to grow up fast; did he never make it out of the oral stage of child development or something? Biting is a problem preschoolers and younger have with each other.

And, to top it off, Suárez already had a seven game ban a couple years ago for biting.

If FIFA rightfully decides to ban him (they can do it for up to two years (though no blood was drawn)), Uruguay just lost their shot at winning it all.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Apparently, the World Cup has shown how soccer has its own touch of hockey.

"Soccer's notorious 'Cannibal' bites rival at World Cup:"

http://nypost.com/2014/06/24/notorious- ... world-cup/

Return to “General Off-Topic”