English Premier League

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: English Premier League

Post by ITALIANO »

ksrymy wrote:AVB may be a bust, but he makes me question my sexuality at times.

Oh don't worry. From my experience, most Americans fully realize what their sexuality is when they are in their 30s or even 40s. You have time. :)

How do you put photos in your posts by the way? I've tried to, but unsuccessfully.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

AVB may be a bust, but he makes me question my sexuality at times.

Look at that stubble. That jawline. That perfectly wavy, coifed hair.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy wrote:
mlrg wrote:
ksrymy wrote:When I was in elementary school, I had this weird obsession with Porto, so I've always loved Mourinho. Seeing him succeed makes me infinitely happy.
Porto? Really? Why is that?

For the record, I'm a huge fan and supporter of Sporting Lisboa. Hopefully they will finish second this year. Benfica will be champion ( :evil: ) and Porto will finish third. They had their worst season of the last 20 years.

But I'm really intrigued here... why Porto ksrymy?
As a child, I was oddly attracted to certain words. There were words I would repeat to myself over and over again because I liked the way they sounded (this probably explains my being a newly-hired professor of English). "Porto" was one of those words I loved.

This was also around the time I was getting into international football; I played the game from when I was six until I blew my knee out my senior year of high school - football was life. I would have been ten or so at the time, and I didn't want to root for Brazil because I'm always against the powerhouse (which I realize is incredibly ironic since Porto's been unstoppable this last decade). Since I didn't want to root for them, I figured rooting for Portugal would be the best way to anger those Brazilians I would never encounter.

My little brain at the time was completely oblivious to the Primeira Liga and the fact that other countries had football leagues (though I was completely aware of Major League Soccer... :oops: ). This, coupled with my odd inclination for certain words, led me to discovering Porto.

The first season I was able to start following the games (though unable to watch them), was the '03-4 season, so I thought Benni McCarthy was just about the coolest person ever.

Since then, I've adopted one team from each major country to stay involved in football (PSV because of my Dutch roots there, Tottenham because of Robbie Keane, Atletico Madrid because I can't cheer for Barca or Real on principle, Inter because Wesley Sneijder, and I don't think I ever hopped on the Ligue 1 train). Looking at Tottenham and Porto, I guess I really like AVB.

I'm excited to see what he does with FC Zenit in St. Petersburg. He's 4-0 right now.
:D

Well, in my opinion AVB is a flop as coach. He won the portuguese league but any average coach would win the league while coaching Porto and his Europa League (previously called Uefa Cup) win was against the weakest finalist of the last 30 years (Sp. Braga, another portuguese team). Porto won the league 15 times during the last 20 years. Their president is the real strength behind Porto's success. In fact, he holds two world records in fooball history: longest running club president (35 years) and most trophies (domestic and internation) won by a club president.

AVB is another name of a long list of great portuguese coaches working today: Paulo Bento, Fernando Santos, Carlos Queiroz (all of which are coacing different teams during the next world cup), Leonardo Jardim, Jorge Jesus and of course Mourinho.

Althoug my team, Sporting Lisboa, hasn't won a league since 2002, we are probably one of the top 3 clubs in the world generating grear players: Paulo Futre, Luis Figo, Nani, Moutinho, Danny, Rui Patricio, Hugo Viana, Simao, Quaresma and of course Cristiano Ronaldo. If you like to follow european football just write a name down: William Carvalho. He is a Sporting midfielder and at just 22 he has been called as the next Patrick Vieira.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mlrg wrote:
ksrymy wrote:When I was in elementary school, I had this weird obsession with Porto, so I've always loved Mourinho. Seeing him succeed makes me infinitely happy.

For the record, I'm a huge fan and supporter of Sporting Lisboa. Hopefully they will finish second this year. Benfica will be champion ( :evil: ) and Porto will finish third. They had their worst season of the last 20 years.

As a child, I was oddly attracted to certain words. There were words I would repeat to myself over and over again because I liked the way they sounded (this probably explains my being a newly-hired professor of English). "Porto" was one of those words I loved.

This was also around the time I was getting into international football; I played the game from when I was six until I blew my knee out my senior year of high school - football was life. I would have been ten or so at the time, and I didn't want to root for Brazil because I'm always against the powerhouse (which I realize is incredibly ironic since Porto's been unstoppable this last decade). Since I didn't want to root for them, I figured rooting for Portugal would be the best way to anger those Brazilians I would never encounter.

My little brain at the time was completely oblivious to the Primeira Liga and the fact that other countries had football leagues (though I was completely aware of Major League Soccer... :oops: ). This, coupled with my odd inclination for certain words, led me to discovering Porto.

The first season I was able to start following the games (though unable to watch them), was the '03-4 season, so I thought Benni McCarthy was just about the coolest person ever.

Since then, I've adopted one team from each major country to stay involved in football (PSV because of my Dutch roots there, Tottenham because of Robbie Keane, Atletico Madrid because I can't cheer for Barca or Real on principle, Inter because Wesley Sneijder, and I don't think I ever hopped on the Ligue 1 train). Looking at Tottenham and Porto, I guess I really like AVB.

I'm excited to see what he does with FC Zenit in St. Petersburg. He's 4-0 right now.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

And I'm just a Tottenham fan sitting over here crying...
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, my actual dream would be Liverpool winning the League and Athletico Madrid winning the Champion's League. Though I'll admit to enjoying Bayern too.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

When I was in elementary school, I had this weird obsession with Porto, so I've always loved Mourinho. Seeing him succeed makes me infinitely happy.
Okri
Tenured

Re: Barclay's English Premier League

Post by Okri »

mlrg wrote:Hopefully it will be Mourinho's year again
He can win the Champions League; I'd rather his prophecies became self-fulfilling here.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Hopefully it will be Mourinho's year again
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

An instant classic if I ever saw one.
Okri
Tenured

English Premier League

Post by Okri »

The Liverpool vs Man City match was frickin' epic.
Last edited by Okri on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Off-Topic”