R.I.P. Sabrina

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Re: R.I.P. Sabrina

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Sad to hear about this Wes. We had to put our beagle down this past summer, he was 16 1/2 years old. Losing a pet is always hard.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sounds like she was a much loved kitty. All my best to you.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'm very sorry for your loss Wes. I have only just seen your post.

My cat last remaining cat Dolly passed away last Tuesday, just 10 days shy of what would have been his 16th birthday.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just saw this now.
So sorry, Wes.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Per Google:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
There are many tables for converting between cat years (age) and human years (age). Many of them use a very simple calculation (e.g. 1 cat year equals 7 human years). This is inaccurate as:

The average life for a house cat (excluding accidental death, in particular car accidents) is about 1/5th that of a person, not 1/7th.
A cat has a relatively short childhood. A cat with an expected lifespan of 15 years would be mature (sexually and physically) within 1 year. A man with an expected lifespan of 75 years (the current approximate male life expectancy in developed countries) would have the equivalent maturity at 15 years of age. Thus the cat reached maturity in 1/15th of its lifespan whereas the person was mature in 1/5th (15 years / 75 years) of his lifespan. Consequently, while one can say that the man is living 5 times as long as the cat, so each cat year is equal to 5 human years, the first year of life for the cat sees the same amount of development as in the first 15 or so human years. For this reason, an accurate mapping of cat years to human years needs to consider factors other than expected lifespan.
In brief, a one year old cat has the same maturity as a 15 year old human, a two year old cat has the same maturity as a 25 year old person, thereafter each calendar year a cat ages the equivalent of 4 human years.

here is a little table of years between cat and human years: (left side is cat years and right human)

1 15
2 25
3 29
4 33
5 37
6 41
7 45
8 49
9 53
10 57
11 61
12 65
13 69
14 73
15 77
16 81
17 85
18 89
19 93
20 97

The oldest recorded age for a cat is 34 years.
6 years ago Report Abuse
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I heard the first year is fourteen then add seven each following year.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The vet told my mother that apparently, the aging process is now differently calculated... I think she said it was like 7 years for the first three years of a dog's life and then 4 years after that.

We also found out that she was born in October of 2001, which made her just shy of 11 years old.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think cats are the same as dogs, seven years for every human year so they would have been 28 in November, 8 months ago, making them 32-33 in human years.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sorry to hear about Sabrina.

A question: How many ''human'' years do cats live? I have two cats that came to us as one month old kittens in December 2007. How many years does that make them?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorry to hear that. Sabrina was the dog, right?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

R.I.P. Sabrina

Post by OscarGuy »

As most of you know in the last few years, we've lost all three of our cats. This morning our only remaining pet, Sabrina, has passed away as well. I think she was 16. I can't really say much about her atm, but I thought I'd fill you in. You can read a quick recap of events on my Facebook page. I will try to share more about her later.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “General Off-Topic”