Zach Is Now A Married Man

mlrg
Associate

Re: Zach Is Now A Married Man

Post by mlrg »

Hi Zach. Sorry to hear that.

About 5 and half years ago I also got divorced after a 6 year marriage and 6 more years of dating. We had a daughter that is now 9 years old. It is a hard process but it doesn’t make you a lesser person.

Fortunately enough I rebuilt my life a year later and started living with a new girl. We still don’t have any children but we are quite happy. Luckily enough the relation between my daughter and my girlfriend is very very good since the very start (my daughter was 4 at the time).

I hope to see you more often here on board.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Sorry to hear your marriage didn't work out. But congratulations on the PhD and a fresh restart.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Magilla, thanks for the kind words. No need to retitle the thread. I don't want to change anything Damien wrote. As for remarriages - that's great for your brother. I'm always very heartened by makeshift families that can operate well despite divorces, etc. As I said, I think the lack of children in my case (painful as it is in some ways) has made things easier. Plus I'm not worried about my own prospects ... my ex-wife grew to hate me in a way, but I quickly learned that others in my orbit didn't feel the same way at all. I'm a good guy, I'll be fine.

Greg - ha! Well you're reminding me that I never saw the last season of Mad Men despite keeping up with it pretty religiously until that point. Also, only the first Megan was a brunette, like Don Draper's M. Though I tend to like darker hair and eyes myself (a predilection, not a rule), the Megan I married had blonde hair and hazel eyes.

The current girlfriend, for the record, has dark hair and eyes.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sorry, Zach.

I have a much younger brother who had two marriages, both with children, end in the same way. He's now happily married to his third wife and still friendly with both former mothers-in-law. One of them was at his most recent wedding two years ago.

I can change the name of the thread to something else if you'd like. Just let me know.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Johnny Guitar wrote:Greg, FWIW, my ex-wife and I only met in college (and started dating sophomore year), but during previous years, I did have a girlfriend with the same first name!
So, you had a Megan girlfriend in high school followed by another Megan girlfriend in college whom you proceeded to marry and then divorce? That sounds so Mad Men.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Thanks Greg and OG.

OG, I'm sorry to hear about your friend and it's got to be a lot harder if children are involved, and my ex and I were lucky in that respect at least. (It was very painful, however, because as recently as February, I sincerely believed we were both on track to try for a family finally this year, after years of waiting due to several stressful factors--some but not all of them down to me, I admit. So instead of becoming a father in 2016-ish as I'd expected, I'm having to start over completely. C'est la vie, no one is owed anything by the universe...)

Greg, FWIW, my ex-wife and I only met in college (and started dating sophomore year), but during previous years, I did have a girlfriend with the same first name!
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sorry to hear that. I remember when the two of you were dating back when you both were in high school.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So sorry to hear that. It sounds like an awful situation. One of my oldest friends saw his marriage evaporate the same way last year. He was utterly bewildered by the whole affair and most of his wife's family agreed that it was completely out of the blue. While I haven't been through that myself, I can attest to how overwhelming and heartbreaking it is. They get along decently well now and their son just started Kindergarten this year.

It sounds like your life at least has gotten back on track and may even be moving in a better direction. I'm sure we all hope for the best for you.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Hey guys - it's been a long time since I've visited the UAADB, but I'm in a sentimental mood, and I've been thinking about Damien lately, and I remembered he started this very nice thread back in 2010. In case any of you old crowd would find this news of interest ...

I regret to say that just recently (finalized yesterday, in fact), my wife and I were divorced. About thirteen years together as a couple, all told. It was a sudden downturn in our relationship, spearheaded by her, and suffice it to say, traumatic and bewildering for me. I didn't want my marriage to end at all! I could write a book about the whole ordeal but I'll spare everyone. The most painful part of the process happened simultaneous to me submitting and successfully defending my dissertation in the late spring, so let's just say, cortisol levels were high, as were the number of tears. (The ghost of eternally loyal Damien, I venture, is still quite livid on my behalf. Trust me, you thought he hated Uma for how she didn't please Ethan...) But ... life goes on, and though I'm imperfect, I can persist with a clear conscience, at least. And the wholehearted blessing of my ex-family in law, and even my wife's best friend, all of whom were about as confused and saddened by everything as I was.

Anyway. As I type this now, I'm legally single, I have a fantastic new girlfriend (a fellow scholar & fan of horror movies), and I've got a PhD to my name. Still in Chicago for now, currently teaching at various universities. Cheers.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Thanks everyone! The wedding miraculously, somehow came off perfectly, although I feel I've spent the last two months in a haze - what with papers to write and then the wedding to finish organizing. We arrived home from the honeymoon yesterday, and today I'm enjoying the first lazy, or semi-lazy, day at home I've had in a while. (My poor bride, though, had to go to work.) I think I'll spend this evening catching up on Mad Men and, more importantly, being a temporary teetotaler. Cheers ...
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Congratulations!
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Congratulations!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Congratulations, buddy!
"How's the despair?"
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Congratulations Zach! I wish you the best!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

And more congratulations. As someone approaching a 24th anniversary, I can offer my observation that, even in times of trial, a good marriage adds immeasurable value to life.

Return to “General Off-Topic”