Memory Lane: UAADB circa 1999-2000 - The 'Inside the Web' days

Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

Sonic Youth wrote:Hello, Leeder. I recollect very well that you and Erin hooked up, and I think you revealed it after the fact. Was this when you announced you were going on haitus to write a novel? Now I'm dying to know what she looked like. She broke your heart, so you don't have to be such a gentleman. Care to dish? :)

Yes, now I do recall mentioning something about our relationship well after the fact.

Erin really very pretty, arguably still the best looking woman I've ever dated; a blue-eyed darkish blonde (showed her Norwegian blood clearly), and with just the right body type, not excessively thin but far from heavy. The kind of woman who never wears makeup but never needs to either. She reminded me of Renee Zellweger in those days, back when Zellweger was a warm, emotive, cuddleable being rather than the chilly botox-ravaged beast she is today.

Our story was long and convoluted, and I'm not being gentlemanly so much as not wanting to open old wounds. Suffice it to say, now that I'm older than she was at the time (a disquieting thought in itself), I see more clearly than at the time how irresponsible she really was.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:Chris X. Moloney, Mike Kelly (who still lurks on occasion), Engin, Manolis, Tree18, Kyle Simon, Tripp, Brev, Robert Licuria... Sadly, not all of these are still members, but I'm pretty sure they all posted at some time in the past.
I'm still around, and posting regularly:)

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Hedgy showed up at Goldderby and posted sporadically there. The last thing I saw from him was some "Ultimate Oscar Calculator" or something similar, which used several random precursors to predict Best Picture, and was supposedly foolproof over the past 25 years. He had The Aviator as a safe bet for Best Picture, with Million Dollar Baby not having much of a chance. I don't think we heard from him again after Oscar night.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And, Sonic, I can't change your name, but I can change the number of posts, so if that's what you're afraid of losing, I'm sure I could update it if you wanted to make a new name.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know if Pamela has the time to participate on the board, but I know she's still around. She's still a member of the OFTA and voted just this past year.

I do remember a few others who joined the OFTA, but some names escape me since I haven't heard from a few of them in forever.

Chris X. Moloney, Mike Kelly (who still lurks on occasion), Engin, Manolis, Tree18, Kyle Simon, Tripp, Brev, Robert Licuria... Sadly, not all of these are still members, but I'm pretty sure they all posted at some time in the past.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'd written a review of Inside Oscar over at Amazon (it's still there, from December, 1998), and somebody emailed me (wish I could remember who) a few months later linking to the old board.

I'm afraid I was one of those that was pretty harsh with Pamela (I'm sorry if I was too strong, but I still feel I was right). I hope she's ok.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My bad. I checked Chestnuts of Quiet Truth's profile. He is definitely male. He registered for the board the first day but never posted.

I must have him confused with someone else.

I think rainBard may be in touch with Hedgy.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm positive Chestnuts of Quiet Truth is male, and straight to boot.

Chestnuts of Quiet Truth was cool as all get-out (whatever that means.) And his screen name was would've made a great Mahavishnu Orchestra album title. Unfortunately, he ditched us for Oscar Watch. They don't deserve him.

I think Pamela was furious at everyone's behavior when Brokeback lost, and ditched the board. Maybe she'll see this thread and say hi?

What about you, Criddic? When did you first participate?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

FilmFan720 wrote:Is that our first physical UAADB relationship? Wow.

Well i have hugged a few UAADB members whom I've met and shook hands with some others :D

Big, I think you're right that Max Wilder went to Duke -- I knew it was a top drawer southern school, but wasn't sure which one. And yes, he and cam went at it pretty good, lol.

Has anyone heard from Pamela of late?

And a shout out to Hedgy -- very smart, fun, knowledgable and, according to Italiano, a William Bendix lookalike.

OMG Chestnuts of Quiet Truth -- that was the coolest screen name of all time.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The female posters in general tend not to say too long around here.

Any thoughts on why that is? Surely we aren't that much of a boys club:)

Can you name another female poster?

Pamela and Cinephile101 are the only ones I can think of, and I don't think they've posted in over a year.

That's one of the negative aspects about this board. Female posters would be a nice corrective to all this testosterone, and they would provide a fresh perspective on things. And on that note, let me give a shout out to Brev, who I recall was consistently intelligent and level-headed, and provided a refreshing dose of feminism to the proceedings.

And no, Oscar Guy, I didn't scare the girls off. I just know which ones kiss and don't tell. :cool:
The infamous Bernadette, of course, and Chestnuts of Quiet Truth.

Scarlet was around when I first joined the board and posted for quite some time before announcing she was going on hiatus and would explain all when she returned, but she never returned.

Bette Streep and Booster Gold are still around.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Leeder wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I not only remember Erin - I thought ther was something going on between her and Murray.

Simply out of curiousity, do you remember what made you think so? I don't think we ever "went public" on the board... we were too unsure of what our status was in offline life for that.
I had no idea of the extent of your relationship but I kind of read between the lines of your comments.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The female posters in general tend not to say too long around here.

Can you name another female poster?

Pamela and Cinephile101 are the only ones I can think of, and I don't think they've posted in over a year.

That's one of the negative aspects about this board. Female posters would be a nice corrective to all this testosterone, and they would provide a fresh perspective on things. And on that note, let me give a shout out to Brev, who I recall was consistently intelligent and level-headed, and provided a refreshing dose of feminism to the proceedings.

And no, Oscar Guy, I didn't scare the girls off. I just know which ones kiss and don't tell. :cool:
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Hello, Leeder. I recollect very well that you and Erin hooked up, and I think you revealed it after the fact. Was this when you announced you were going on haitus to write a novel? Now I'm dying to know what she looked like. She broke your heart, so you don't have to be such a gentleman. Care to dish? :)

I also remember Erin and Bliss66 had a really nasty fight. He was prickish, alright.

Congratulations on your success.

I don't know if I started the "Cast the 2000 election" post, but I remember creating a full ensemble. I wish I had that cast list. All I remember casting Ed Norton as Bush and Olivia de Havilland as Barbara Bush, pearls and all.

And the very first word of my very first post? "Poof!" as I magically appeared. I remember, because I put thought into that. God, how self-centered...

And by the way, I still love the band Sonic Youth, but I outgrew the name two-and-a-half years ago. Any way to change it? I kinda hate it now.

I never would have remembered JLS's handle in a hundred years, but I remember him. Even more clearly, I remember a guy who went by the name of '???'. Anyone else recall him?

And I also say, salud to Oscar Guy for keeping the flame burning all these years.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

Big Magilla wrote:I not only remember Erin - I thought ther was something going on between her and Murray.
Simply out of curiousity, do you remember what made you think so? I don't think we ever "went public" on the board... we were too unsure of what our status was in offline life for that.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

anonymous wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:

I think it's because film geekdom is pretty much gravitated towards the males of the species. Look at any film board and most of the active posters are males between 15 and 30.

It's even more surprising since there are plenty of gay fellas here to chat with and make the girls feel at home...gee, it must be Sonic scaring them off. :p just kidding, you're not the only one. :)

Edited By OscarGuy on 1176700464
Wesley Lovell

Return to “General Off-Topic”