CHASING COVID-19 VACCINE

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: CHASING COVID-19 VACCINE

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:Tag. We're it.

Covid has infected the Sonic household. My daughter has tested positive. Symptoms-wise, it's a regular cold and hopefully that's as far as it goes. My wife and I tested negative, but I know it's only a matter of time. My daughter sneezed all over me as I was trying to test her. Anyway, I'm glad we're getting socked with it in late 2022 rather than in early 2020 back when we knew nothing and had no real resources. But it's still anxiety-raising...

ETA: Oh, forgot to mention... earlier this evening, before she started exhibiting symptoms, I attended her school's Open House night. I probably infected the teacher and all of her classmate's parents. #typhoidsonic
Sorry to hear. Don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I got it back in June. A very mild case -- like a moderate cold, at worst -- but I did test positive for over a week, so it lingered in my body. Hope for quick recovery all around.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Than you, Reza. We are all vaccinated, although we hadn't yet gotten the newest booster shot. Despite the sneezing, the girl is full of pent up energy and is running all over her room. She feels fine. But it's definitely COVID. She's entirely lost her sense of smell and taste, which is pretty disconcerting for her mother and me.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:Tag. We're it.

Covid has infected the Sonic household. My daughter has tested positive. Symptoms-wise, it's a regular cold and hopefully that's as far as it goes. My wife and I tested negative, but I know it's only a matter of time. My daughter sneezed all over me as I was trying to test her. Anyway, I'm glad we're getting socked with it in late 2022 rather than in early 2020 back when we knew nothing and had no real resources. But it's still anxiety-raising...

ETA: Oh, forgot to mention... earlier this evening, before she started exhibiting symptoms, I attended her school's Open House night. I probably infected the teacher and all of her classmate's parents. #typhoidsonic
Hope you and your wife are both vaccinated. Wishing your daughter a speedy and safe recovery.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sonic Youth wrote: #typhoidsonic
:lol:
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Tag. We're it.

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Only if recommended by a health care professional - otherwise it's isolate for 5 days and wear a mask for 5 days after that.

I haven't had it although various relatives have as have numerous neighbors.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Does the protocol in the USA requests a negative test to end the isolation? I question this because both Tee and dws mention a negative test.

In my country you can end your isolation five days after testing positive without having to test negative. I think the rule is pretty much the same in the European Union.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Get well soon, Sabin.

I've remained Covid free so far, though I suppose it is only a matter of time. My mom, brother, and his wife have all been Covid free as well, though my niece and her fiance had it last fall and my aunt and cousins in the next state have probably all had it twice now.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote: Sorry to hear this. I had my case back in early June, and it was pretty much as you describe: a moderate cold that lasted just under a week (though it took another 5 days or so for me to test negative again). Lots of people I know have got it in the past month or two, as this strain seems wildly transmissible, plus people have in general relaxed their guard. We're fortunate this didn't happen till after many of us had been fully vaxxed and boosted.
My dad had a similar case last month: not terrible symptoms (although he also had insomnia for the duration) and it took him awhile to test negative. My mom is still holding strong as the only member of the family to not have had it that we know of. Almost everyone else has had it twice at this point. (I've only officially had it once, but I suspect I've had it at least twice.)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Somehow, I still haven’t gotten COVID.

I received my first Monkey Pox vaccine three weeks ago. D.C. has now limited everyone to one dose but I still have an appointment notification to receive my second dose next weekend so I might just show up and see what happens.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Well, I finally caught the damn thing. All it took was two sub-variants and a new virus. Over the last week, I've been feeling a little bit run down. I attributed it to caffeine withdrawal from giving up coffee due to starting a new medication. I also thought maybe it was due to the change in medication. But my sister urged me to get tested anyway, and it just came back positive. After two years of dodging the bullet, I'm finally hit.

My symptoms are very mild. Runny nose. Cough. Slightly foggy head. I'm going to contact everybody I've been around and inform them to get tested. I feel mostly fine. I'm going to work from home but make an effort to rest up.
Sorry to hear this. I had my case back in early June, and it was pretty much as you describe: a moderate cold that lasted just under a week (though it took another 5 days or so for me to test negative again). Lots of people I know have got it in the past month or two, as this strain seems wildly transmissible, plus people have in general relaxed their guard. We're fortunate this didn't happen till after many of us had been fully vaxxed and boosted.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I hope you get well soon, Sabin.

I got it back in May. Two days of low fever, cough and a sore throat. After that I felt pretty tired for three or four days. My wife also tested positive afterwards but aside some lower back muscular pain she had no other symptoms.

I know a lot of people that already had it twice from different variants.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, I finally caught the damn thing. All it took was two sub-variants and a new virus. Over the last week, I've been feeling a little bit run down. I attributed it to caffeine withdrawal from giving up coffee due to starting a new medication. I also thought maybe it was due to the change in medication. But my sister urged me to get tested anyway, and it just came back positive. After two years of dodging the bullet, I'm finally hit.

My symptoms are very mild. Runny nose. Cough. Slightly foggy head. I'm going to contact everybody I've been around and inform them to get tested. I feel mostly fine. I'm going to work from home but make an effort to rest up.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Reza wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:(It's been impossible to get an appointment)
I find this shocking that its so difficult to get vaccinated in the United States. I would have thought that would have been the case in my country. But about three months after the start of the pandemic it has been so easy to get vaccinated. And it's free.
Well, it's been easy for SOME people. Those are the ones who managed to get appointments at the earliest opportunity and make it impossible for the rest of us.

Is the percentage of vaccinated people where you live high, Reza? It's nearly 75% in my state. I'd like to think it's difficult to get vaccinated in my area because demand is high, although to be honest, her age group is only 25% fullly vaxxed. BTW, we did manage to snag an appointment for her 6 days later. She's fully vaccinated now.
I'm so glad you managed to get your daughter vaccinated finally.

Not sure about the percentage of people getting vaccinated here - although cases of people getting Covid has dropped sharply. Initially it was a chore for the government to get people to get vaccinated but over time a sizeable number of the population got their shots. We are constantly being asked to show proof of being vaccinated before entering shopping malls, the cinema and I was told even on public transport - a guy who works for me had gone home on vacation and on his way back the bus was stopped at a check point and all passengers checked. The ones who had received only one shot or none were immediately vaccinated there and then by doctors at make-shift mobile vaccine centers at the check posts.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Once Walmart, CVS, and Rite Aid got in the picture it was easier but still difficult in many highly populated states including New Jersey, but it's different for kids. They have to be vaccinated in a doctor's office or hospital rather than a pharmacy.

It was a nightmare trying to obtain my first vaccine, as documented here, but the second was easy and the booster even easier.

I was in Rite Aid the other day picking up a prescription and there were two young men, one ahead of me, the other behind me, who were there to get their first shot, which was encouraging. It may finally be sinking in amongst some of the non-vaxxers, but still not enough.

Return to “General Off-Topic”