Windows Converted My Saved Webpages to Apps

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Windows Converted My Saved Webpages to Apps

Post by Big Magilla »

That's not an issue form e.

I always open links as tabs in my browser. With apps, I get new windows. I hate apps.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You should use right-click+T when opening links. It will open a new tab rather than opening in the same window you're in. You can also set your browser to open links in new tabs or new windows. Either way, depending on your settings, you can have a new window "steal focus" by coming up on top of the current window or opening in the background. Incidentally, right-click+W opens a link in a new window instead of a new tab.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Pre-Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge, that was the only way to go, but I liked having the medium sized icons on my startup page that I could click on without having to go to my browser's home page. I would often bring up three of my most used ones at the same time, keeping lesser used ones in favorites. Yesterday, I added my top five sites back into favorites (aka bookmarks). Now it's a two-step process to get to the first site. I have to either click on the app and convert it to a webpage so I can navigate between favorites or log on my Microsoft Edge homepage and go to favorites from there.

The big problem with the apps is that you have to minimize a window before you can maximize another one which makes this supposed innovation going backwards rather than forward for me. That they don't allow you a choice between apps and webpages on the start screen and convert the webpages you place there or on the task bar into apps is most annoying.

Turning smart phones into computers made sense to me. Turning computers into smart phones doesn't.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Just use your browser's bookmarks. For instance, Chrome has a star in the address bar that you can click on to make the page a bookmark. Then if you have your bookmark bar up, you can see everything you bookmarked and can just click on those.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Windows Converted My Saved Webpages to Apps

Post by Big Magilla »

After the last windows update on my bedroom computer last night, my pinned webpages including this site were converted to apps, in effect turning my computer into a smartphone without the phone. I hate it!

Once open, you can go to settings and open the app in your default browser and from there re-pin it but the pin will convert it back to an app.

I've found all kinds of information on how to convert webpages to apps but nothing on how to change them back and keep them from that way. Anyone know how?

Return to “General Off-Topic”