New York Times Machine

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: New York Times Machine

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:What all is it not doing, Precious? I have a friend who worked several years in an apple store, so she might have some insight if I can explain it to her.
For example with the Steve Carrell poll when I select The 40 Year Old Virgin the poll itself disappears that box with the poll empites and all that is left in a tiny brown box with something swirling around and 'Loading....' appears next to the box. This happens when using Google or FireFox.

Simply won't update to show my vote. I do believe it is something wrong with my computer but I take part in the polls if I use another computer. Its no big deal but just one of a few problems I have on various sites the worst being not able to log into my on-line banking and having to change browsers. I have spoken to both Apple and my bank about the issue and they both finger point and blame each other.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Times Machine is back working properly on all browsers. Somebody "important" must have complained after all!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What all is it not doing, Precious? I have a friend who worked several years in an apple store, so she might have some insight if I can explain it to her.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious, I wish I could be of help with your Apple but I've never owned one and while I've tried to help people in the past with Apple related problems I've been unable to as Windows and Apple programs are so different that's it's impossible.

I'm convinced the Times Machine problem has nothing to do with the browser. Google Chrome stopped working as well. The I tried Firefox and the same thing happened.

I did find, however, that if I go to the Times movie page and put in a film title and it's in their database (as most films we ever heard of are) the page will bring up the review and ask if I want to read it in the Times Machine. I'll click "yes" and it will bring up the whole paper for that day. If I try to go from there to another date, I again have the same problem no matter what browser I'm on.

I'm not going to complain to their customer service people anymore. Maybe if they'd let me talk to one of their techies I could get through to them, but it's too much of a hill to climb. When someone "important" complains, maybe they'll work on it in earnest.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

My problems all started with an Apple update over two years ago now. :twisted:

I can't even take part in the polls Oscar Guy has on the Cinemasight entry page as my useless laptop rolls over and over and over with no result after making a selection. I know I could use another browser and it would probably work but I only ever do that if Google won't let me do my online banking or watch something on YouTube. I use FireFox in those circumstances but its a nuisance switching between two browsers.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

After spending over an hour with them again this morning, they finally told me that they did a software update to the Times Machine effective midnight Thursday into Friday to fix a problem people were having on Thursday. I told them I didn't have a problem before the fix. They thought it might be my browser. I use Microsoft Edge but at their insistence I tried to access it with Google Chrome and got in. Now, however, I am having the same problem with Google Chrome. I get in to the current "free" issue which is 6/29/1914 today, but I can't get into any other issue.

I'm also having a problem with Spotify. I never had a Spotify account but in the last two days someone tried to log into two different accounts with my e-mail address. Friday there were attempts from two countries in Europe, one of which was Spain. Yesterday's attempt was from Peru.

In the meantime, in my real life...oh, never mind!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I only use my cell phone when I have to, but I can't do without my computers. I'm hopelessly stuck in 2000. I wish I could get by with just one, but when one goes down I'm lost without another to search for remedies. The laptop is for overnight stays away from home but the way things are now I may have taken my last of those.

Last night after taking an hour and a half to complete the task, my living room computer was restored to 6/22 but it had damaged links. I couldn't access my settings and I couldn't get on the internet. The icons were there, but not working. Fortunately, I have System Mechanic which I was able to access and run commands on that instead of my computer's settings. I rolled back the restore which took another hour and a half but things were working fine when it was completed, putting things back to where they had been five hours earlier.

Times Machine is still not working for subscribers.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'm very sympathetic Magilla.

Whilst modern technology has brought us lots of benefits its also produced a whole lot of new annoyances. I go from one nightmare to another with various internet related issues and if I could ditch the internet I would. Aside from useful information on the web and community boards like this I really could do without it. Things probably reached the lowest point for me when I bit into my iPhone and then opened the back door and throw it out into the backyard late last year. :twisted: I won't go into why that occurred but the short version is the the death of Steve Jobs did Apple no favours and I have a useless federal Government rephrensive that has done fuck all for the citizens of her electorate during her over 20 years in Parliament.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

New York Times Machine

Post by Big Magilla »

Just about every day I check the New York Times Machine to see what went on on this date in history.

I had been trying to get on off and on all day since midnight. Finally, around 6:30 pm I accessed their subscription problem chat room and tried to get them to understand for a half hour that although I could get in the Times Machine, but once I clicked on the date a blank page would come up and I couldn't do anything else. They finally had someone try to recreate the problem on their website and finally acknowledged that the problem was on their end.

About an hour later I logged on to my laptop and sure enough, I was able to get into the archive but when I went to my living room and bedroom computers, the old problem came back. I thought it was something I had done so I tried undoing several changes I had made on my living room computer yesterday. Nothing worked so I went into system restore.

I then logged back on to my laptop and was able to access the date they had chosen for nonsubscribers which had worked earlier and it still did. Then I tried to bringing up another date and got a message that I wasn't logged in. Once I logged in, the same problem I had with my other two computers came back up. So, as of now, the Times Machine is available for nonsubscribers and subscribers who are not logged on but for subscribers who are logged on, it isn't. Why didn't anyone else notice this for more than 18 hours?

In the meantime, System Restore is still running on my living room computer. Arghh!

Return to “General Off-Topic”