Merry/Happy Holidays

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Merry/Happy Holidays

Post by Big Magilla »

Both are correct. A "decade" is any period of ten years.

Most people think of a calendar decade in terms of numbers - we say the aughts, the tens, the twenties, etc. If you want to be technical, though, since the calendar began with the year "1", not the year "0", a calendar decade runs from 1-0, but who really thinks about it in those terms?

Someone might ask you, "what was your favorite film of the 1980s?" Few would phrase the question as "what was you favorite film of the 8th decade of the 20th Century?"

Remember the concerns at the commonly perceived turn of the last millennium when people thought planes would fall out of the skies because their computers clocks ended with 12/31/1999? No one raised similar concerns at the technical end of the millennium on December 31, 2000.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Happy Holidays and best wishes for the start of a so-called new decade. :wink: I'm just saying this because remember right before Jan. 1, 2010 I was part of a discussion here about when the next decade would start; and, Erik, who I think has hardly posted since then, wrote that that was becoming the most boring conversation in the history of this board.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Phoenix, where I am watching Lady Bird with my mother (first viewing).

This has been the most remarkable pendulum swing of my life, career-wise. I've never been more challenged, taken more risks, worked longer hours. This board has been a wonderful respite and refuge for me. Thank you all. Best holiday wishes as we close out a huge year.

All I know is the coming year will be one for the books.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Happy Holidays to all from California! Much appreciation to this board for keeping me informed and entertained all year.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Merry Christmas from Spain!
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all on the board
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Happy holidays everyone.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Merry Christmas to all.

Not sure if it's an omen or what, but coming out of my cousin's 1,200 resident senior community near Fort Dix at dusk tonight, who should I see walking down the road in the opposite direction of the way I wanted to go but Santa Claus. No sleigh or reindeer in sight, though, just Santa or someone dressed as him heading toward another senior community.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Merry Xmas from Portugal
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Merry/Happy Holidays

Post by Mister Tee »

My annual greeting to all denizens of the board, who continue to enrich me with their knowledge of and opinions on our culture. All the best for a happy holiday, and (disregarding all the reasons for pessimism) hopes that 2020 brings good news to all.

Return to “General Off-Topic”