European trip

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: European trip

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:Well, I must admit London exceeded my expectations. I had been moaning when my partner planned and mapped out the trip that I didn't want to visit London, but I'm so glad we did and I would love to go back.

We caught buses around mainly so me could get a good eyeful of the city and rarely used the underground (what is the point when you don't see anything). The food was excellent but pricey, but we are used to that at home. Aside from one day of rain the weather was good, though some days were rather warm.

We stayed in an apartment for the week in a huge 40 storey building without air-conditioning in Elephant Castle. Pity the people that live there on a full time basis. One day however was very disturbing. We had spent most of the day at Notting Hill & Hampstead Heath - great views across London from there and it brought make memories of a number of films that have had scenes shoot there. Anyway, arriving at out apartment on the 23rd floor with a great view of London we were shocked at the low quality of the air. There wasn't the slightest breeze and we could barely see the ferris wheel as the air was so mirky. Thankfully, later that evening a breeze came long which cleared the air to a degree but it gave my partner red eyes and my eyes began to run. I went to three films whilst there, all Netflix productions, and frightfully more expensive that I pay at home.

We also had a couple of 'English breakfasts' that were great. The public housing scattered all over the city reminded me of Ken Loach films. Anyway, I can't recommend London enough with its wonderful mixture of people from all over the globe.

Then it was onto Paris for a short 3 day visit. Paris has long been one of my favourite cities in the world but its really changed. So many interesting little shops that used to be around have been replaced by cafes or designer labels. To my disappointment but not surprise all the movie memorabilia shops have closed down. I was hoping to buy some French Lobby cards for a dozen or so titles, but not only are the shops all gone the cards are no longer made. And oddly enough we didn't walk past a single cinema. The food was excellent but the killer for me was the push bikes everywhere, ringing there bells with zero regard for traffic or pedestrians (much like Sydney but only worse). Ugly and nosy and totally unnecessary for a city that has an excellent public transport system - the fools on their bikes (referred to in Australia as cockroaches on wheels) would do better if the walked to their destinations. Anyway, they along have turned Paris into an ugly, unpleasant place on the main streets. Far fewer use the side streets, like the one where the apartment we rented was located.

I also took the opportunity to visit Emmanuelle Riva's grave which is in a very small cemetery near a church. Her grave is actually not marked and is very simple but a fan has placed a photo of her in plastic and it rests on the top with rocks to hold it down. Emmanuelle appeared to have lived a very full and rewarding life but at the same time a very private and simple life which it reflected by her final resting place. There was a ray and white cat wondering around so I placed the cat (who was very friendly and loved all the attention) on Emmanuelle's grave and took photos. I'd like to think she would not have minded as she was a cat lover herself.

I had wanted to visit the graves of Alain Resnais & Eric Rohmer but they are in a much bigger cemetery and to be honest didn't want to spend half a day trying to find them.

So, then a nearly 24 hour flight back home. No jet lag (there is a trick to avoiding it - travel business class so you can sleep and take some sleeping aids to make sure you sleep but be weary of were you go because some countries frown upon sleeping pills and valium and it is illegal to bring them into some countries). Actually, just a general warning when travelling always check what and how much you can take of anything because you'd be surprised what is banned in some countries. For example I took way over the limit of sleeping pills into Singapore but as we were in transit there wasn't any issues. Had we stopped over for a couple of days I would have had to apply to take them into Singapore.

It's good to be back home and have my cats with me - Monty's fur has finally grown back after having to have a second shaved off for an ultra sound and the use of an endoscope to remove thick string he had eaten (set me back $3,000 last May). My partner has a terrible cold and cough which started coming on the morning we left, though he seems to be over the worst of it now. I'm just hoping I don't come down with the wretched thing.

So now its catch up with a few movies at the cinema as well as some I purchased whilst away and get back into all my routines. No plans for another trip anytime soon. As Dorothy says in The Wizard of Oz: "There's no place like home'.
Been enjoying your trip with you. Yes, one is always glad to get back home.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Well, I must admit London exceeded my expectations. I had been moaning when my partner planned and mapped out the trip that I didn't want to visit London, but I'm so glad we did and I would love to go back.

We caught buses around mainly so me could get a good eyeful of the city and rarely used the underground (what is the point when you don't see anything). The food was excellent but pricey, but we are used to that at home. Aside from one day of rain the weather was good, though some days were rather warm.

We stayed in an apartment for the week in a huge 40 storey building without air-conditioning in Elephant Castle. Pity the people that live there on a full time basis. One day however was very disturbing. We had spent most of the day at Notting Hill & Hampstead Heath - great views across London from there and it brought make memories of a number of films that have had scenes shoot there. Anyway, arriving at out apartment on the 23rd floor with a great view of London we were shocked at the low quality of the air. There wasn't the slightest breeze and we could barely see the ferris wheel as the air was so mirky. Thankfully, later that evening a breeze came long which cleared the air to a degree but it gave my partner red eyes and my eyes began to run. I went to three films whilst there, all Netflix productions, and frightfully more expensive that I pay at home.

We also had a couple of 'English breakfasts' that were great. The public housing scattered all over the city reminded me of Ken Loach films. Anyway, I can't recommend London enough with its wonderful mixture of people from all over the globe.

Then it was onto Paris for a short 3 day visit. Paris has long been one of my favourite cities in the world but its really changed. So many interesting little shops that used to be around have been replaced by cafes or designer labels. To my disappointment but not surprise all the movie memorabilia shops have closed down. I was hoping to buy some French Lobby cards for a dozen or so titles, but not only are the shops all gone the cards are no longer made. And oddly enough we didn't walk past a single cinema. The food was excellent but the killer for me was the push bikes everywhere, ringing there bells with zero regard for traffic or pedestrians (much like Sydney but only worse). Ugly and nosy and totally unnecessary for a city that has an excellent public transport system - the fools on their bikes (referred to in Australia as cockroaches on wheels) would do better if the walked to their destinations. Anyway, they along have turned Paris into an ugly, unpleasant place on the main streets. Far fewer use the side streets, like the one where the apartment we rented was located.

I also took the opportunity to visit Emmanuelle Riva's grave which is in a very small cemetery near a church. Her grave is actually not marked and is very simple but a fan has placed a photo of her in plastic and it rests on the top with rocks to hold it down. Emmanuelle appeared to have lived a very full and rewarding life but at the same time a very private and simple life which it reflected by her final resting place. There was a ray and white cat wondering around so I placed the cat (who was very friendly and loved all the attention) on Emmanuelle's grave and took photos. I'd like to think she would not have minded as she was a cat lover herself.

I had wanted to visit the graves of Alain Resnais & Eric Rohmer but they are in a much bigger cemetery and to be honest didn't want to spend half a day trying to find them.

So, then a nearly 24 hour flight back home. No jet lag (there is a trick to avoiding it - travel business class so you can sleep and take some sleeping aids to make sure you sleep but be weary of were you go because some countries frown upon sleeping pills and valium and it is illegal to bring them into some countries). Actually, just a general warning when travelling always check what and how much you can take of anything because you'd be surprised what is banned in some countries. For example I took way over the limit of sleeping pills into Singapore but as we were in transit there wasn't any issues. Had we stopped over for a couple of days I would have had to apply to take them into Singapore.

It's good to be back home and have my cats with me - Monty's fur has finally grown back after having to have a second shaved off for an ultra sound and the use of an endoscope to remove thick string he had eaten (set me back $3,000 last May). My partner has a terrible cold and cough which started coming on the morning we left, though he seems to be over the worst of it now. I'm just hoping I don't come down with the wretched thing.

So now its catch up with a few movies at the cinema as well as some I purchased whilst away and get back into all my routines. No plans for another trip anytime soon. As Dorothy says in The Wizard of Oz: "There's no place like home'.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Heksagon wrote:I hope your trip is going well, Precious Doll :)
Yes it is. We are now in London, where will we spend one week. Having never been to London before I have to admit that I find it somewhat daunting. There are so many people around everywhere.

Porto was interesting. Somewhat run down but very historical and beautiful with its setting against a river. Food was stunning and dirt cheap and there seemed to be more tourists around than in Lisbon.

After spending a couple of days in Porto we drove to Bilbao in Spain. Absolutely beautiful with a perfect climate while we were there. Of course the must see attraction in the Guggenheim Museum which is spectacular from whatever view you have of it.

After two days in Bilbao we returned to France and the small town of Periqueux which was an absolute charm. The old part of the town is walled and we stayed in an apartment just a street away. It was lovely wondering around the town and whilst I don't usually eat pastries indulged myself with what the French do best.

Two days later we went to Chinon, our favourite part of France which we have visited before. Chinon is probably most famous for Joan of Arc and we had visited areas associated with her previously. We stayed in the old part of the town which is delightful. Full of charming French restaurants and lots of cats prowling around all too happy to be petted and fussed over. We drove to some surrounding areas of Chinon including a small town where a friend of friend who we also had known for sometime had a summer holiday home. He sadly passed away earlier this year. We used to enjoy Peter's company when he came to Australia from time to time. He loved cinema and was a huge fan of Vivien Leigh.

This morning we left Chinon, drove to Paris, dropped off our leased car and headed for the Eurostar to London. Whilst it didn't seem as fast as the bullet trains in Japan it was an enjoyable ride.

We have been very lucky in that all the time we have been away we have not had any rain, though rain in forecast for London tomorrow. Not sure where and what we are going to do but buy up some Blu Rays & DVDs is high on the list. We also had a stunning dinner at a French restaurant tonight which makes the third day in a row that I have eaten snails. I simply can't resist them.

So now, just a week and a half (after London we will spend a few days in Paris) and we will be back home. I've already booked tickets for a feast of filmgoing on my return.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I purchased a miniature Mother Teresa for my mother (she's not religious but it will go nicely next to a small statue she has of QE2).
:lol: Best thing I've heard all day!
In another shop I saw a statue of what I thought was Mother Angelica. I became aware of Mother Angelica when my partner and I did a big US trip back in 1996 and spent a lot of time in the south. In our hotel rooms at night we would flick through the religious networks with fascination as we had never seen anything like that before (or since). Her show was the most engaging.

Mother Angelica was continually asking people for money (as were all the others we saw) and if I recall correctly had a banner at the bottom of the screen with the details of where to send the money.
I knew that we had religious programs in the U.S. that are aired on local TV stations - usually no more than one or two per station and mostly on Sundays, but I had no idea that there were whole networks devoted to religious shows. Wikipedia lists 27 of them! None are carried on any of the cable providers I've ever had either in New York, New Jersey or California. It must be a Bible Belt phenomenon.

I'm not familiar with Sister Angelica, although she looks familiar. Since she was a member of the Poor Clares, any donations she received would have gone to the poor and not to the building of a megachurch and the private planes and whatnot that most of the TV preachers collect for their own enrichment.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I hope your trip is going well, Precious Doll :)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I purchased a miniature Mother Teresa for my mother (she's not religious but it will go nicely next to a small statue she has of QE2).
In another shop I saw a statue of what I thought was Mother Angelica. I became aware of Mother Angelica when my partner and I did a big US trip back in 1996 and spent a lot of time in the south. In our hotel rooms at night we would flick through the religious networks with fascination as we had never seen anything like that before (or since). Her show was the most engaging. She had a segment where people could ring in with questions. A woman rang in to query why did Jesus go off into the desert for 30 days and not tell his mother and father! That must have been so worried, why would he do that! I can't remember what Mother Angelica's response was but we were gobsmacked. Mother Angelica was continually asking people for money (as were all the others we saw) and if I recall correctly had a banner at the bottom of the screen with the details of where to send the money. It was sort of appropriate she passed away on Easter Sunday.

Anyway, I quickly realised that the status wasn't Mother Angelica (pre-stroke) but Lucia dos Santos, the surviving Fatima child that became a nun.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

European trip

Post by Precious Doll »

I'm now half way through my six week trip to Europe and must say I am more settled into the travelling mode than I was during the first week.

I haven't been to Europe since 2001 but went on a regular basis during the 1990's to different parts. This trip was primarily about going to Portugal, with a bit of Spain & France thrown in and a week in London (where I have never been before). My trip last year to Japan was my second trip to Japan and my first international trip since 2001.

The weather has been continually warm to hot and just about every day so far has been sunny with clear blue skies. Very little rain to speak of.

We started off in France spending the day driving to Dijon. We stopped off at a little medieval town that was recommended by a friend and had a stunning traditional French lunch. Our dinner in Dijon (a rather nothing to see or do place) was something of a disaster. We couldn't find anywhere suitable to eat and went to some fast food hamburger place that makes MacDonalds look very upmarket.

From Dijon we drove to Nemes where we stayed for three days. There are Roman ruins in the town and we stayed in an large old house that had been turned into four apartments. A very delightful town that I highly recommend.

It was then onto Tarbes for two nights. The primary reason for this stopover was to go to Lourdes which had not suitable accommodation. Lourdes is a very depressing place. Old, frail and very ill people being wheeled and carted around and an area where people go to be 'healed'. There is also a hospital onsite. One can barely see the Grotto due to the number of people standing in front of whilst some religious ceremony was taking place. There is a big statue of 'the Virgin' placed where Bernadette allegedly saw her. The grounds are impressive though but the main streets leading to the church and Grotto ground is paved with shops selling tacky religious stuff.

We spent the rest of the day driving up to the mountains to a remote area which is a ski resort in winter.

Next we set off for Toledo in Spain. We stayed in a hotel built into the walls of the old town. A very pretty place but boy it was so hot. Didn't have dinner to 8.30 at a restaurant attached to the hotel and the dinner cost more than our accommodation.

Next we drove to Granada. Not long after arriving at the apartment we had booked for two nights I took ill and spent the next two days in bed. My partner fell ill shortly after and forced himself out of his sick bed to visit to Alhambra Palace and gardens. He said he was he did.

I'm pretty sure we were sick solely because of a change of diet. Neither of us are eating what we generally eat and its rare for me to go overseas (except for the US & Canada) and not end up with a tummy upset.

Thankfully the next day we were both much better and drove to Castro Marim in the Eastern Algarve which is a tiny town just over the border from Spain, in Portugal. We stayed in a stunning B&B which is a beautiful modern extension to a traditional Portuguese farmhouse a few kms back from the beach.

The we drove to Lisbon for a four day stay. It was very thrilling to enter Lisbon across the "25th of April' bridge which is similar to the Golden Gate Bridge. We rented an apartment in the old part of the city in a small side street. Lisbon is very hilly with a huge Boulevard in middle of the old section. During the time we were there we explored various parts of the city. The food was fantastic, lots of little restaurants in side streets and funnily enough we caught up with two friends who happened to be spending the same four days in Lisbon. Also, the food is so cheap. We are paying a fraction of what we are used to at home.

Lisbon is not overrun with tourists the way some other cities in Europe I understand have become (Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Berlin). I expect Lisbon is going to become the next go-to place for international travellers in the near future.

Next we drove off to a small town called Evora that is an ancient walled city. We rented a terrific apartment there and spent three days wondering the town and taking drives to other historic near by towns. Once again the food in Evora was sensational and dirt cheap. The restaurants we went to were all tiny and family owned.

Next it was off to Fatima was two days. We arrived mid afternoon. The hotel we were staying in was right next to the 'Fatima' site. We spent the afternoon looking around the grounds of Fatima. Where the children claimed to have seen 'the Virgin' is a statue of 'Our Lady' with a religious service going on. There is a huge church on the grounds and inside the church are the graves of the three children. Two of the children died in 1919 & 1920 respectively, whilst the third became a nun passed away in 2005. I believe they may be all saints now.

If we thought the strip of shops selling religious items was over the top in Lourdes, Fatima left it way behind. There must be about 80 or more shops, including one on the site. I purchased a minature Mother Teresa for my mother (she's not religious but it will go nicely next to a small statue she has of QE2) and my partner purchased a miniature of what looked like to Virgin Mary with a Vespa. As my partner is Vespa crazy it was a must buy.

That left our next day free do we drove out to some costal towns for a look around and lunch. We get got back to Fatima we went back to the religious site again to view it with less people around (it was a Monday).

Today we left Fatima and arrived in Porto late this afternoon where we will spend the next 2 days. To be continued....

So that is my trip so far. Can't say I'm missing not seeing any films for nearly 3 weeks now, though I am planning a schedule to various film festivals (Jewish, Russian, British, Greek, Japanese) that will be playing in the six weeks after we return. I'm just bummed I completely missed the Italian Film Festival and the Underground Film Festival. Funnily enough there is very little opening commercially at home whilst we are away that I'm interested in seeing. I am however missing my Greek Yogurt with blueberries & walnuts that I have for breakfast everyday and my three cats, one of whom I've been told chucked a kitty hissy fit when he wasn't allowed outside one day because of the rain.

Return to “General Off-Topic”